Site Sponsors
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon D800 First Blush

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

I am not kidding. If the same 36MP sensor is in a NEX body, it will be even more amazing and I am positive the price will be better as well.

Besides, there isn't a need to buy the NX (I have it somewhere but when NX3 rolls along I will have to pay for it).

Canon, who?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to derail this thread but you are comparing Apples and Oranges. The Sony is a toy compared to build quality of the D800.

I don't get people that buy the NEX and then stick a huge lens on the front. Not only does it look stupid but it defeats the entire purpose of a small camera. Then I hear people wishing the NEX was weather sealed.

For a hobbist the NEX is a nice camera BUT its not a system. Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, Phase are camera systems and you can walk into any real camera store and get a host of accessories to complete an assignment. Sony can't even get the hotshoe right.

So Vivek to see a post about the price of the D800 is totally off base, and then to compare it to the NEX really misses the target market of the D800. Nikon will sell every one of these cameras they can build.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do not disagree with a lot of things you say.

The F mount has been around for a long time. It would be shocking if there aren't accessories/lenses available for the D800/E. The Alpha E mount is a ~2 years old?

Sony is rumored to be supplying 30,000 (36MP) sensors a month to Nikon. That is a lot of professionals.
    Last edited by Vivek; 2nd April 2012 at 16:09. Reason: Typo

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Morning everyone just a little update . I am relentless so bear with me , I just don't quit. With that I did go back to ACR and used the Camera Standard profile and these look much closer to reality. Did a little work on it but not color just went with the WB tool in each and this is a great starting point but would not hurt to actually profile our cameras for the absolute best results but these look good.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Have you tried the Corel Aftershot Pro? Before Corel took over Bibble, that (Bibble Pro) was a preferred alternate RAW converter to many Nikon users.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Guy, Have you tried the Corel Aftershot Pro? Before Corel took over Bibble, that (Bibble Pro) was a preferred alternate RAW converter to many Nikon users.
    . . . or has anyone tried using Aperture - which now supports the D800 and D800E?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No never gave that a try. Seriously I'm buying time until C1 comes out with a update. LOL

I'm a junkie and totally admit being a fanboy of C1. Been using it since the Canon 1DS so quite awhile now it went south for a time there but has gotten much better.

I'm really thinking of getting the E version as well. Starting to like this cam.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Any word on C1's schedule?

I'm espeically curious to know how C1 and ACR handle lens corrections (nikkor and 3rd party) compared with NX2.

I can't begin to tell you how helpful this thread is. Thanks to everyone's efforts workshopping this camera, it seems like when mine shows up all the hard questions will already be answered.

Of course by the time mine shows up you guys will be hard at work test driving the d900 ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, from a quick look of the images (the 1st two you just posted), they do look better than the previous posted versions. I too have been playing around and using the Camera Standard profile, which always results in better and more accurate representation of colors/hues etc. A camera profile for the D800 would be of great benefit, in my opinion.

Although subjective, the 3rd image down (2nd from last) looks a bit "hot" for my taste but the last image most definitely so. Just a bit of feedback from a quick look at these images.

As an aside, Bibble was always excellent-superb with Nikon Files, but I haven't used it since they (Eric) sold it.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had played with all the ACR profiles last week and frankly found I preferred the Adobe standard. Yes, skies go more cyan with it, but I found skin tones most pleasing with it -- seems the Nikon red/orange is still a bit funky. Bottom line, I am waiting until C1 updates to the D800, since I can easily make a solid camera profile in it with their color editor. In the meantime, I will build a quickie ACR camera tweak for color. FWIW, I had to do this for the S2 when it first came out too.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

>Bottom line, I too am waiting until C1 updates to the D800,

You maybe missing the distortion corrections for the 24-120mm (CA maybe ok).
    Let me know when you made a tweak.

I made a Colorchecker Passport profile and it does not look better (normally it does).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The thing is and maybe we are all seeing it in some form or another and trying different things. I'm still looking for a little Mojo in them. I agree with Jack maybe the best solution is custom profiling our cams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am not kidding. If the same 36MP sensor is in a NEX body, it will be even more amazing and I am positive the price will be better as well.
    Are you so sure? NEX-7 is $1200. Throw in FF, the price will definitely be in the $2-3k. Also, APS-C lenses for NEX are already lacking. How would a FF NEX work with lenses? I'd sure love a NEX-9 with this sensor, but I think it will be quite a while if ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Bottom line, I too am waiting until C1 updates to the D800,

You maybe missing the distortion corrections for the 24-120mm (CA maybe ok).
    Let me know when you made a tweak.

I made a Colorchecker Passport profile and it does not look better (normally it does).

Good point -- I like the automated lens corrections in ACR. So what I need to experiment with is editing the ACR output tiff in C1 to correct color -- that I can do right now, but it means a double processing. The big issue is getting sky, skin, reds and greens optimized. (tall order )
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

My current post processing step with Nikon is to use NX to apply profiles and lens correction, then export to TIFF. From there, I use Lightroom to do all post work. Not ideal, but like all of you, I detest working in NX.

In the past, I've noticed Aperture also does a good job of rendering NEF, but I would rather stick to one organizing software, and that's Lightroom for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Morning everyone just a little update . I am relentless so bear with me , I just don't quit.
    Guy, don't quit. I am enjoying the heck out of this thread and watching you go through these different processes is fantastsic.

Keep it up !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Lee appreciate that very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sflxn View Post
    My current post processing step with Nikon is to use NX to apply profiles and lens correction, then export to TIFF. From there, I use Lightroom to do all post work. Not ideal, but like all of you, I detest working in NX.

In the past, I've noticed Aperture also does a good job of rendering NEF, but I would rather stick to one organizing software, and that's Lightroom for me.
    Same here - getting the files through NX with basic adjustments, then Photoshop. Have been doing so for the D2x, D3, now D3x and will probably keep doing so with the D800 when I'll finally be able to put my hands on one
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hell a fun shot

Post Thanks / Like

I borrowed a D800 yesterday and took some quick shots to test my 24-70mm G. I used a tripod, mirror lockup, f8 and live view focusing. What is instantly evident when looking at the files is it's going to take a hell of a good technique to get the most from this camera. The 24-70 seem very soft outside the central portion of the frame to me, too. Might have to stick to high end primes if ultimate resolution is important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    The 24-70 seem very soft outside the central portion of the frame to me, too. Might have to stick to high end primes if ultimate resolution is important.
    At all focal lengths? That lens generally has a lot of field curvature / soft corners at 24mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    I borrowed a D800 yesterday and took some quick shots to test my 24-70mm G. I used a tripod, mirror lockup, f8 and live view focusing. What is instantly evident when looking at the files is it's going to take a hell of a good technique to get the most from this camera. The 24-70 seem very soft outside the central portion of the frame to me, too. Might have to stick to high end primes if ultimate resolution is important.
    Have you tried enabling Lens Corrections in LR4 with this lens? It certainly deals with both vignetting and field curvature on my 24-120 f4
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like

I'm suspecting some sample variation because lots of people seem to be saying how surprisingly good they're finding the 24-120 on the D800

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I'm suspecting some sample variation because lots of people seem to be saying how surprisingly good they're finding the 24-120 on the D800
    I like mine a lot -- add the ACR auto corrections and I'm impressed.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Would be great to see an auto-correction shoot out between ACR, NX2, and DXO.

Post Thanks / Like

>Would be great to see an auto-correction shoot out between ACR, NX2, and DXO.

First we need DxO for the D800. Then we could do just that. Also throw the manual corrections of C1 into the mix.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to see the lens corrections in C1. I could really use it with my 14-24

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just some worked up images i did in ACR in total.

Some images i shot last week in San Diego when I first got the D800.

85mm 1.4

35mm

14-24 at 14mm

14-24 at 24mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW some of these are pushed pretty hard and doing a nice job of not falling apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Hum nice photos.. Nice place to spend vacations. I like your 85 and 35, there are outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

Speaking to an Empty Audience ...

AI-S Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 at f/5.6 - close focus

Link to the RAW file

80A_0099_85mmG_iso100_12bit_at_f5.6.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (6.5 Mb)

Nikon D800 AI-S Nikkor 2.8/20mm 12 bit 1/15 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 Lightroom 4

AI-S Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 at f/8 - distant focus

Link to the RAW file

80A_0100_85mmG_iso100_12bit_at_f8.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (6.3 Mb)

Nikon D800 AI-S Nikkor 2.8/20mm 12 bit 1/10 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 Lightroom 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G - 'wide open' test parade ...

Link to the RAW file

80A_0293_85mmG_iso100_14bit_at_f1.4.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (7.2 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 14 bit 1/2500 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Steen. I have another installment to load up went up North to play today.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steen, great file that actually shows great difference between highlights and shadows. In ACR I found to have lots of DR to play with and very clean results..
    I corrected the highlights like you did, and even went further into pushing the shadows very much.
    For the kind of work that I do, this is very significant, getting clean results.
    ACH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Morning everyone. Okay i have a lot to load up but I wanted to start with my morning bitch. Sorry but after looking at a lot of images and going through ACR with all the different profiles there just seems not to be one profile set for all images. I have looked at a bunch of images with different profiles and whats good for one is not good for another. Than Bob kindly reminded me after my frustrating moments last night with this that the D800 profiles are beta with the Camera Raw. Okay that settled me down some but folks with ACR and any image i suggest you try all the profiles and see what works best for that image until this is not beta any more.

Now the second frustrating thing is just flat out working with NX but the files look good in it and things look pretty darn clean. Im still working on the sharpening with it and getting around the software. I'm obviously waiting it out until C1 comes out but I did process all this in NX that I will post today. Just so i can get a feel for the program better and such.

But in this sample just for a comparison I used both ACR and NX , now in ACR i went with camera landscape which throws a lot of punch in the image so you need to back off contrast, saturation and vibrance but it looks pretty good but in camera standard it was flat as a pancake. So if your going to use ACR right now try different profiles and find what works the best. shot with the 14-24

Okay ACR image with camera landscape profile

This is the NX file with really not much done to it. It probably represents the subject the better of the two

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot with the 85 1.4 these two images processed in NX but the first one in ACR was really flat looking.

These are all with the 14-24 which i am falling in love with. One trick I found when carry on your shoulder with lens cap off go to the 24mm setting at the lens recedes in for some protection. I hate lens caps

Sharp or what

Post Thanks / Like

STOP IT GUY

it's just not fair to those of us who are waiting...

Mind you, when I get my E the tables might be turned. I will relentlessly post images that make those above look like you used a Coke bottle as a lens...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROTFLMAO. Okay I will go get some lunch and give it a rest. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more this one impressed me. Highlight control really knocked it down and recovery did a nice job of opening it up.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little fix in CS5 and looks good.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I have a question for you: Is the quiet shutter mode on the D800 single-shot or continuous? The 5D Mk III boasts a continuous silent shutter (3 fps) and it is way quiet. Perfect for my ballet work but that would mean jumping ship for me.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

>Highlight control really knocked it down

For me the highlights are still too much blown. Can you please post the Raw?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    ...Than Bob kindly reminded me after my frustrating moments last night with this that the D800 profiles are beta with the Camera Raw. Okay that settled me down some but folks with ACR and any image i suggest you try all the profiles and see what works best for that image until this is not beta any more.
    Guy I'm not so sure this is correct info. Several camera iterations and LR/ACR versions back those profiles were provided as beta but not anymore with the D4 and D800 along with the newest iterations of LR and ACR 6.7 beta. Not sure where the D3s falls in line since I don't have that camera.

Regarding the profiles provided by Nikon, ie Portrait, Landscape et al. Its my understanding these are meant to be only suggestions for contrast for the appropriate usage. That said at least to my eyes all of them tend to have better color fidelity (assuming you have the right WB to start with) and are consistent from one profile to the next with color notwithstanding the difference in contrast. For sure their color accuracy seems much better than using Adobe Standard as the conversion profile.

But as you have discovered tweaking them does help.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Guy, I have a question for you: Is the quiet shutter mode on the D800 single-shot or continuous? The 5D Mk III boasts a continuous silent shutter (3 fps) and it is way quiet. Perfect for my ballet work but that would mean jumping ship for me.
    according to the manual. Its not Leica quiet that is for sure, not sure on canon but I can hear it easily

As for single frame except that noise is reduced by
    disabling beeps and minimizing sound produced when
    mirror drops back into place. Beep does not sound when
    camera focuses regardless of setting selected for Custom
    Setting d1 (Beep; 0292) and mirror does not drop back
    into place until shutter-release button is returned to
    halfway position after shooting, allowing you to delay
    noise made by mirror. Mirror is quieter than in single-frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Guy I'm not so sure this is correct info. Several camera iterations and LR/ACR versions back those profiles were provided as beta but not anymore with the D4 and D800 along with the newest iterations of LR and ACR 6.7 beta. Not sure where the D3s falls in line since I don't have that camera.

Regarding the profiles provided by Nikon, ie Portrait, Landscape et al. Its my understanding these are meant to be only suggestions for contrast for the appropriate usage. That said at least to my eyes all of them tend to have better color fidelity (assuming you have the right WB to start with) and are consistent from one profile to the next with color notwithstanding the difference in contrast. For sure their color accuracy seems much better than using Adobe Standard as the conversion profile.

But as you have discovered tweaking them does help.

Hope this helps.

Rob
    I'm not totally sure either it is a beta release though 6.7 so one has to wonder.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Highlight control really knocked it down

For me the highlights are still too much blown. Can you please post the Raw?
    I got it further down but tried from getting it too wonky looking.

Here is the raw

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_act...aTFwTVZsQXNUQw

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Would make a nice B&W I think
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think so as well. Pretty strong sky and highlight which I think did a nice job of controlling that.

Here is one fixed up ready to go. 14mm again on tripod at F13 for 1 second than brought into CS5 for key stoning and such.

Here is the raw to play with.

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_act...RndHa054Tk1UQw

I'm hungry check in later. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh that left cabinet is just wonky off. LOL

Not me. LOL