The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it's gotta start somewhere. Very quick shots after driving to Palm Springs to pick up my D800 from Camera West and this used 14-24. Shot at F11 at 14mm actually of them with 14mm. Processed in ACR which is not remotely my favorite program so I did very little to these , little clarity and sharpness and exposure to taste. I need to fine tune my AF before i get serious with testing and all that. Right now I am officially on vacation so that will come next week. I just want to play for the weekend.

Guy Mancuso

I think these are at F8. Still for me need to figure out all the AF stuff. Its been since the D300 that I had a Nikon so a lot to figure out . I actually may have to RTFM

Guy Mancuso

Now don't get to far excited on the DR here which is really good but the light was very nicely diffused driving in. Not my burn your neck in 20 seconds Arizona heat blaze that I am used too. So far it looks good but I am being careful until I get these under my 30 inch display and really until C1 comes out I am going to be very conservative on this.

Guy Mancuso

Can't really peek the pixels, Guy, but I trust your eyeballs... what do YOU see?
Oh... and DXOMark apparently just rated it higher than the IQ-180!!??
DxOMark - Sensor performance

It looks pretty good but I think my AF needs adjusting so I don't want to get to crazy until I feel comfortable with that. I asked Sean at CW about the AF fine tune adjustment control and is it something one really needs to do. Flat out said no question test all your glass. So right there is a heads up and I'm sure the Nikon folks know this all to well.

Guy Mancuso

Dont trust my eyeballs until I get some sleep been staring out the front end of a car for 8 hours today. LOL

Guy Mancuso

BTW I am overlooking a huge Marina below me so I will get some fine detail shots this weekend than we can really pixel peep this but I'm very excited so far. Okay rest brain , need cocktails time. LOL

D&A

I say this as a preliminary observation from those I often work intimately with. Apparently some fast Nikon lenses that had a particular Af fine tune setting with previous cameras such as the D700, end up have wildly different Af fine tune settings with the D800. The good news is these new Af fine tune settings with the D800 appear to show the lens was more finely calibrated before leaving the factory than was the case with same lens on the D700. It would appear D800 bodies are more closely adjusted/inspected than some D700's but I'm surprise just how different these fast lenses are behaving on one body relative to another.

Related to this is fine tuning these lenses ofn the D800 is more critical for near optimum performance than previous Nikon bodies. This of course was to be expected.

Dave (D&A)

Nik

Guy, sorry for asking - could you please post 100% crops from the center and the corners?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon D800 - boring testshot, but a RAW file to play with

I had to send my brand new standard D800 back for focus calibration, since it suffered from severe back-focus.
But at least I had time to grab a few trivial test shots to look at while waiting to get it back from service.

So let me start with a shot from the D800 standard model.
And bear with the boring subject, it's just a trivial test shot.

Here's a link to download of the RAW file on MediaFire - or just click the picture to get the native sized jpeg

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

click for native size (7.8 Mb)

in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • 12 bit 1/320 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

pophoto

Re: Nikon D800 - boring testshot, but a RAW file to play with

I had to send my brand new standard D800 back for focus calibration, since it suffered from severe back-focus.
But at least I had time to grab a few trivial test shots to look at while waiting to get it back from service.

So let me start with a shot from the D800 standard model.
And bear with the boring subject, it's just a trivial test shot.

Here's a link to download of the RAW file on MediaFire - or just click the picture to get the native sized jpeg
I just took delivery of the 5D3 today, and personally I'm very happy with it. D800E still on order, but judging from your shot here, it seems the regular isn't so regular after all. I find the image sharp and retains a lot of detail. I know I can be very happy with the normal D800 no question.

tjv

I'm downloading the NEF now but the full size JPG image looks great. I'm gutted for you having to send your camera back to fix focus issues, but if this file is anything to go by I'm guessing when it comes back it will be a great tool.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Here's another D800 sample file

Link to download the RAW file from MediaFire

80A_0019_85mmG_iso100_12bit.NEF

click for native size (6.4 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 12 bit 1/250 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Yeah, but unfortunately it's also a lot more expensive :D

Still, I completely agree with you

V

Vivek

Hi Steen, Shocking to see the D800 with G lenses. :D

How do they do with a bit wider aperture? They are pretty fast at f/1.4.:)

vjbelle

The 85mm image is definitely going soft at closer distances. I've got the E on order but will only be using it with Zeiss glass. I don't trust auto focus on any camera.

Victor

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hmmmm... D800E and Schneider 28 PC vs. IQ160, Cambo, and Schneider 43.... Hmmmm.. times 7... carry the 3.... $6,000 vs. $50,000.... hmmmm..... live view vs. focus mask... hmmm.... :talk028:

--Matt

nikonf

Law of diminishing returns..........Just like Hi-End Audio!
Yet, we still need to look at the dynamic range, shadow detail, 16bit CCD vs 14 bit etc.