The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Steen once again, thanks for the opportunity to examine and work with the D800 files. (...)
You are welcome, Rob

In the 'roof tiles' shot I think the colors were actually a bit too warm in my RAW conversion or maybe with too much red tint, but I just left it at Lightroom's Daylight WB without further manual tweaking since I was in a hurry.

Btw. it suits the church interior shot well with the added brightness in your conversion.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now on color Nikon has improved a lot as things look much more neutral. I see some magenta in our picture and my wife is fair skinned and usually comes up slightly magenta but in the past this was horrible both from Canon and Nikon. Much closer to my IQ 160. This is encouraging. Honestly from what I have been seeing the last couple days this is damn good.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Here's one with an old screwdrive focus AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D (basically a 23 year old lens design afaik), weighs 205 g (review by Thom Hogan)

Link to the RAW file

80A_0109_AF_35mm_D_iso100_12bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (7.8 Mb)

in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

Nikon D800 • AF Nikkor 2/35mm D • 12 bit 1/60 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now on color Nikon has improved a lot as things look much more neutral. I see some magenta in our picture and my wife is fair skinned and usually comes up slightly magenta but in the past this was horrible both from Canon and Nikon. Much closer to my IQ 160. This is encouraging. Honestly from what I have been seeing the last couple days this is damn good.
Guy,

congratulations to that wonderful camera! I am waiting to get my D800E pretty soon :)

Well, WRT colors, I think Nikon already improved with the D7000 generation.

WRT Magenta - your wife looks pretty great and "neutral" if there is some Magenta it is on your skin :D just kidding ....

Enjoy

Peter

Guy Mancuso

I have the D800 right now. But either I may switch to the E when it comes out and get a D7000 for backup or just have both versions of the D800. But I would like to test the E first and decide. No hurry on either right now. I do have the conflict of shooting lots of things so having both would be nice.

Guy Mancuso

More to come. Heading home and a lot to process but I'm pretty happy with it. For me you just don't know how hard that is for me to say about 35mm. LOL
Guy,

congratulations to that wonderful camera! I am waiting to get my D800E pretty soon :)

Well, WRT colors, I think Nikon already improved with the D7000 generation.

WRT Magenta - your wife looks pretty great and "neutral" if there is some Magenta it is on your skin :D just kidding ....

Enjoy

Peter
I never tried the D7000 last Nikon I had was the D300

Swissblad

Pramote
Thanks for posting these photos.
Have you noticed any image degradation as you change from f8 to f22?
Just curious about how bad the issue of diffractions really is.

Could one of the lucky d800 owners clear this up?

Nikon's website and owner's manual show a table of file sizes for different formats, and corresponding memory card capacities. Strangely, it lists the same card capacity for lossless-compressed NEFs as for uncompressed NEFs. Even though uncompressed file size is substantially larger.

Is just an editing mistake?

Also, is there any disadvantage at all to using lossless compression on raw files? And if not, why does the uncompressed option even exist?

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Swissblad...I haven't tried yet but thought about this issue. These pictures came out very well in 16x20" prints.
I may try this week with different f stops on the 14-24mm (I've already returned the 16-35mm VR).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Swissblad...I haven't tried yet but thought about this issue. These pictures came out very well in 16x20" prints.
I may try this week with different f stops on the 14-24mm (I've already returned the 16-35mm VR).
May we know why you returned the 16-35 VR ???

ghoonk

Pramote - brilliant images! Question - how's the diffraction at f22 with the D800? i've been hearing some interesting things about the D800, and thinking of matching them up with the PC-E lenses for portraits, architecture, and landscapes

Here's a d800 with the 24mm PC lens. Minor collision in that last millimeter ...

Should be quite useable, but kind of annoying, considering how many people are going to want to match the two.

tjv

So it only collides in the last mm? That's good news considering there was speculation it wouldn't work at all!
I'd love to see some shots with this combo if you have time. It's exactly the setup I'm hoping to move into in order to help tame my 4x5" addiction – I'm too poor to keep up the pace of shooting I've set!

Here's a d800 with the 24mm PC lens. Minor collision in that last millimeter ...

Should be quite useable, but kind of annoying, considering how many people are going to want to match the two.

So it only collides in the last mm? That's good news considering there was speculation it wouldn't work at all!
I'd love to see some shots with this combo if you have time. It's exactly the setup I'm hoping to move into in order to help tame my 4x5" addiction – I'm too poor to keep up the pace of shooting I've set!
I should have made clear that it's not my camera and not my lens. Someone else posted that online. I can see it's crashing in the last millimeter because the shift scale is visible in the picture.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It looks as if the shift axis is not vertical. I've seen similar pictures on an earlier Nikon body, and there was no body strike in the vertical shift position, only slightly diagonal. As you can see, the tilt knob is not vertical in this picture.

--Matt

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
May we know why you returned the 16-35 VR ???
The 16-35 VR is a very good lens. I couldn't tell the IQ difference of both lenses for my landscape work.
I've also had 24-70mm, therefore, the extra 25-35mm from 16-35 VR does not add up to me.
The quality-built of 14-24mm is much better. The 16-35 is a plastic.
Most importantly, I love the extreme wide angle-lens so an extra 14-15mm is very important to me.
I also love "night photography", therefore, 1 stop can make a big difference. The 14-24mm is amazingly good at f/2.8.
Although filter (especially GND) is a problem, I can bracket and blend them in Photoshop and will take me only few more minutes. Polarizer is a compromised but I don't use it as frequent for darkening the sky for wide angle any way.
If I need to eliminate the glare, I can use the 24-70mm with the polarizer.
The only limitation for me is inability to use"Lee Big Stopper" filter but I can use the 24-70mm which is usually wide enough.
Best regards,
Pramote