The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
But truth is without the sun in my shots yet it's a little tough to judge. I have sun for the next couple days as I'm back home in the blaze of it. I can get a better feel on it. It is pretty neutral overall maybe a red issue but sure it still looks like a CMOS chip per say. If we can avoid that crunchy look and spread the tone out than it hopefully will look a little more MF and DR will help do that.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Guy,

Thank you for the pictures!

Is it that I'm reading this thread on a laptop screen, or are all the red patches almost monochromatic. It looks like there is subtlety in every other color, but there is only one Red. This holds for the outdoor umbrellas as well as the indoor shots.

Must be the laptop...

--Matt

Here's a different red, Matt, now that already makes two so far ;)

Link to the RAW file for your own experiments with e.g. WB and colors ...

80A_0061_85mm_G_iso100_12bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (9 Mb)

in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 12 bit 1/320 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Link to the RAW file

80A_0062_85mm_G_iso100_12bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (12.1 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 12 bit 1/320 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Steen, When you point the lens at a building roof close to infinity, wouldn't f/5.6 (diffraction limit) enough? My question about the wider apertures were not about bokeh but actual infinity shots-landscapes, for example.

(...)

At your service, Sir :)

The 1.4/85mm here at f/5.6

Link to the RAW file

80A_0078_85mm_G_iso100_12bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (7.2 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 12 bit 1/500 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

And ... ta-da ... a brick wall, at f/4

it's even a genuine 14 bit brick wall :lecture:

but ok, enough red buildings, I promise to stop now ... :D

Link to the RAW file

80A_0140_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (8.1 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 14 bit 1/1250 sec. at f/4 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Not sure those umbrellas are truly red but more a burgundy tone. One problem all weekend was i never really got full sun so i am a little hesitant on colors until we get this under bright light a little more. I guess just a little early to call it. But there are going to be some nits for sure and we just need to find all of them. On color we can also make presets and such to fine tune this stuff. Not overly concerned yet on that. On the inside shots folks I shot daylight under tungsten light so yes it will be warm. I did not switch to tungsten on the camera. I did however on some lower the color temp. So not critical color so be aware of that end.
I Downloaded the NEF file used of the studio set of DpReview shot at iso 100 and created a profile with ColorChecker Software. I suggest you guys try it and comment.

Profile:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10120389/Nikon%20D800.dcp

NEF file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10120389/D800hSLI00100NR0.NEF

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here's a different red, Matt, now that already makes two so far ;)
You're right. There's one on the roof and another on the walls. :rolleyes:

And my thanks to you, too, sir, for posting all these RAW files. :salute: :thumbs:

--Matt

Using our friend Steen great image, I did 2 screen shots in ACR window with no corrections. First one without profile, second one with colochecker profile. Just a little difference.
Then in Photoshop did screen shot of 100% detail with some tweaking. Detail and color depth are super.. ACH

vieri

Nikon reds & greens

About reds and greens, I have to say that so far nobody posted images processed in Capture NX, and I would reserve judgement until someone would do so - third party converters are well and good, some very very good (and I personally tend to use Capture 1 for all my RAWs), but in order to judge a camera's color rendition in its best light (pun intended) I think we need to do a NX pass first :)

They even say that it is now decently fast and the interface works somehow logically now :ROTFL: so I will give it a try again with my new D3x and then with the D800 (possibly E) once I'll be able to put my hands on one... the thing is, the 200 bucks needed to do so! I sure hope I'll like it enough to keep using it after trying it out :banghead:

Y Sol

Steen, thank you very much for sharing your NEF files with us!!
I'm still waiting for my D800, meanwhile I enjoy working with my D4 and D3x.
Here are some samples developed with NX2 (version 2.3.0) I did not change anything, except the picture control settings. (color space: Adobe RGB)

Last edited:

vieri

I'm still waiting for my D800, meanwhile I enjoy working with my D4 and D3x.
Here are some samples developed with NX2 (version 2.3.0) I did not change anything, except the picture control settings. (color space: Adobe RGB)
Thank you very much for the samples. Comparing the to the ones above developed in ACR, it seems to me that the reds Capture NX produces are much more detailed and subtle than these from ACR (which look really like a mono-tone red, so to speak).

There is promise in all this :D

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Capture NX2

And thank you very much to you, Y Sol, for sharing your Capture NX2 conversions with us.
They look very good, and I'm not surprised, Capture NX has always been my favorite NEF converter.
I'm fine with its user interface and its somewhat slow speed.

My personal decision hierarchy is
(1) to choose the optics I would like to use
(2) find an appropriate camera to drive those optics
(3) and then use the best converter for the RAW files

For me the converter is just a piece of software that I can get used to with some practice, though of course some programs take more practice than others.

I'm aware that some photographers use the totally opposite decision hierarchy.
They start with their favorite software, then choose a camera hoping its processor works well with the software, and finally buy some lenses for that camera.
And in case the camera processor does not work well with their favorite RAW converter, then they change camera system rather than software system.

My old Capture NX doesn't read the D800 files and I'll wait to see if I go for the D800E before I make the separate NX2 upgrade.
If I buy the D800E then I get NX2 included along with the camera.
But here in Denmark I'll have to add 1076 USD (which equals 807 EUR) to the price to get the E version over the standard D800, just to get rid of the AA filtration.
I find that price difference too absurd, and that may very well keep me from jumping to the E version, though it's the one I'd prefer.

If I end up keeping my standard D800, I'll definitely buy the Capture NX2 software upgrade separately.
Again, thanks for sharing, Y Sol, very useful illustrations for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I may try the trail version for awile
And if the trail version is tough to navigate, you might want to demo the trial version.

(Sorry, had to jab you for posting before your first espresso!)

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Ah crap does this software suck. Forget this . I can't even figure out how to save a freaking file. I need a LOT more espresso

Definitely the result from NX2 looks far more natural, even the landscape one. It'd be great if you guys who own PhaseOne backs and D800, shoot the same image with both and convert each one in it's proprietary software to compare results.
ACH

ustein

Contributing Editor
My version of NX 2.3.0 + update 2.3.1 installed in 64 bit (Mac) but works only in 32 bit. Known issue?

Guy Mancuso

Definitely the result from NX2 looks far more natural, even the landscape one. It'd be great if you guys who own PhaseOne backs and D800, shoot the same image with both and convert each one in it's proprietary software to compare results.
ACH
Just finished shooting it.:D:D

routlaw

My version of NX 2.3.0 + update 2.3.1 installed in 64 bit (Mac) but works only in 32 bit. Known issue?
NX 2.3.1 is not a 64 bit program. Click on the app icon> get info, to check. 64 bit programs will usually give you the option to launch in 32 bit, if that option isn't there its usually because it is not 64 bit.

Against my better judgement I just bellied up to the bar to update this program from my old NX version, we'll see how it goes.

rob