The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Leica didn't need to cya re the M8 and M9 lack of AA filter. If I did weddings I might worry about moire but have had M8/9 for 5-6 years and run into moire rarely. Now the 800E is 2x the resolution of the M9 (okay, 2x the number of pixels) so that may be a difference, but I ordered one and am not wringing my hands - other than I don't have it yet.

Alan big difference in numbers . Leica could handle the maybe what 5 k complaints but Canon/Nikon sell in the hundred of thousands. Numbers are off of course but its the sheer volume they sell at it would be the biggest PR nightmare we could imagine if they got all those complaints without the warning. So in the end it IS the correct path for them to take even though they may lose some sales as people get scared of it they really are protecting themselves . Some of us know better and know what to expect. That be our esteem GetDPI members . LOL

Almost ready to load more.

Guy Mancuso

Okay round 2 and things get interesting. LOL

Back out again with Cambo IQ 160 and the 60mm XL lens reason I am using this lens is for all your benefit since it does not need a LCC when at zero settings not everyone has C1 and wants to run LCC why i bagged the 28mm in this test. So hope that makes sense to everyone. On the Nikon I used the 35 1.4 G again both lenses at F9 . Why a 60mm lens on Phase well in 35mm terms it is equivalent to a 39mm lens on the Nikon. So basically the same but you will notice different framing since we are dealing with 3:2 vs 4:3 framing.

Okay here is ALL i did to these files brought Phase files in WB to the second square in and Nikon the same thing in ACR and NX2. Only other thing I did was slight balancing of exposure. Now this is all default on everything else like shadows and such. All that can be adjusted to taste. This is basically a color test and the Phase is a full 60 mpx image as well as the Nikon its full 36mpx image. I went by width for framing.

I included a link that has all 6 images two from each setup and the a shot of the color checker card separately but also included in the sets. Hope this helps.

First up. All data in images

Color Checker Images. All these are after WB

Phase image I could not focus this close. LOL

Second image set

Link to the RAWS

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_ac..._download%26batch_id%3DM3BsOU1lZDVVVG5OTzhUQw

Guy Mancuso

Just me and mostly because it matches my Phase files better and be nice to look similar but I like the NX blue sky better it matches my Phase C1 files at least in the sky

Guy Mancuso

Looking at the color chart between ACR and NX the colors are more punchier in ACR as the NX colors looks just a touch more subtle. Now we all see color different so this is what I see. Pretty interesting test.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I can't wait for mine to arrive. Been waiting 2 weeks now and probably have 3 or 4 more to go. I have a good assortment of lenses to try too. 85 1.4G, 17-35 , 70-200, my 200 prime...

Guy Mancuso

Really like the 85 and 35 1.4 G glass so far

Couple quick shots done in NX with NO color adjustments but some minor shadow and highlight control.

All 85mm.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, two comments:

1) First is look at the top right of your Phase sky in the second series -- you have magenta which is possibly from no LCC? I stand by what I've said before, folks really need an LCC on P65+/IQ160 up with tech cam capture for most accurate color.

2) I agree that NX color is significantly better than ACR for the Nikon file, but I am still seeing way better greens (both broader range and ore real) and richer reds in the tech/phase files. But I do like what the D800 delivers net/net/net for a 35 DSLR!

Edit to third comment: Skins look pretty good in the above! NX may need a couple of points of sat boost...

D&A

Ah not really -- I know you also look for and see the exact same things I look for (and see) in lenses. The reality for both of us (and Guy too) is isn't only about resolution, but lots of other factors that mostly relate to the subjects we each like to shoot ;)

It's certainly possible there was a production difference, but I will add that I am very impressed with close-up performance on this lens, at least central 2/3rds of frame. In fact, it focuses very close and obtains semi-macro magnifications at very acceptable resolutions. No, it will not replace a dedicated macro, but it is more than just decent for the occasional close-up grab.
Putting aside possible production differences for the moment, it was precisely the 25% of each side of the outer frame where performance in the samples tried, fell short for large format prints done as test runs for a client. A number of us independently came to the same conclusion with the same lenses used for testing. The detail in those outer portions of the frame were considerably weak(er). Maybe there is really something to the notion that this lens performs considerably better on the D800 vs. Nikon's 12MP pro bodies (bodies used for testing) and that is what you and Uwe are observing.....possibly due to the D800's sensor design. If more keep making this same observation, it might be worth persuing the reasons why. I'd welcome such improved performance whatever the reasons might be, since a range like 24-120, and having constant aperture of f4 combined with VR all add up to a desirable walk around lens. I'm sure a bit down the road I'll have a chance to retest this lens on a D800 and re-evaluate.

Guy, just saw you posting of your latest test images. Really looking forward to viewing all of them on a proper system later on this evening.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I tested this lens several times it needs no LCC at zero settings . I think I would know that. I'ts not in the first image and not in the color checker. I just more angled to the sun

vjbelle

Guy, two comments:

1) First is look at the top right of your Phase sky in the second series -- you have magenta which is possibly from no LCC? I stand by what I've said before, folks really need an LCC on P65+/IQ160 up with tech cam capture for most accurate color.
Jack..... you are right, though it does depend on the subject matter. I use generic 0, 5, 10 shift both for portrait and landscape LCCs for my 60mm lens especially if my subject matter has very neutral areas. This eliminates having to fool around with this at image time and I have yet to be disappointed with the results.

Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yep. I just know from prior experience with the P65+ (same sensor as the IQ160) and tech cams, there were color casts in certain situations. With the lenses longer than 40 they were usually not significant, but still visible in broader areas of even-toned subjects -- like large expanses of sand or concrete -- or skies. But in fairness, I never tested the 60 SK lens on the P65+, so maybe it's some other anomaly...

(FWIW, if you shoot a LCC frame zeroed and do not correct it, then drag your WB dropper across the LCC you can see the readouts spike up 3-5 points toward magenta in certain areas on that sensor, usually near corners, but also some areas will go a few points green or yellow too. These are subtle enough with smooth transitions they can go un-noticed visually in the gray areas.)

Guy Mancuso

I'll have to test it again towards the sun but it never came up before. So folks I could have some contamination in the Phase sky. I can't be absolutely correct on this so keep that in mind. I have no other lens outside the 28 that would not require a LCC so we just have to use it as reference on color in the top right on that frame. The 1st should be okay as we'll as the color checker but let's maybe ignore the last frame. You obviously can look at detail shadows and everything else. Sorry if this has caused any issue.

Thanks Jack for pointing it out, it went unnoticed on my end. Just a busy day

Guy, thank you very much for the files, I played around a bit with them in ACR 7. TO get NEF in ACR7 had to converted foist to DNG in ACR 6.7 with 2012 alternative on, that would lower the contrast and get more shadow detail.
I change image size in PO to match D800.
As clearly seen PhaseOne has far more detail. Color can be adjusted.

100%detail. PO left. D800 right.