The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Last lens I need to go work is the 180 so I can see if it is going to work out. It's better than I thought at first on the 800.

Guy Mancuso

This is little Jack not to be confused by big Jack. LOL

I had a grand total of 3 seconds to shoot this. Kids holding still for photos is near impossible . Anyway very early light 7:20 before school and nice harsh AZ. sun which is just blazing as you can see but I love torture testing. Shot with the 85 1.4G at F5 processed in NX2.

Guy Mancuso

Yes held up very nicely and the skin tones on him look just about perfect. So this looks good when you have great light. I'm still fine tuning sharpening stuff its about my last thing I want to get down good and it might best be done in CS5 than these raw converters.

Guy Mancuso

Lets try this in ACR with camera portrait profile and this looks good and sharpening much nicer.

Okay in ACR sharpening settings on this are
A 71, R.06, D 15, M8

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interesting, but to my eyes I prefer the ACR version over the NX version. I am seeing subtly better skin tone and I prefer the way the eyebrow and lash hairs are rendered in ACR, at least on my monitor...

BTW, just a small rant, but I am tempted to start a thread on the "Stupid List" for the D800.

Mt first vote would be they included 1.2x, 1.5x and 5:4 crop ratios built right into the camera along with finder frame lines to match, but NO EFFING 4:3 crop!!!

In case Nikon (and Canon and Leica -- AND it was effing Leica's fault to begin with!) have not heard, 4:3 *IS* the new frame standard!

:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Found two more images from the other day both with the 14-24. Guess you can tell I like this lens.

Had a little fun processing this one

Guy Mancuso

Btw and I forgot to mention this we do NOT have green grass here. Unless your on a golf course it is very biased yellow. This ain't Kentucky blue folks .

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Unless your on a golf course it is very biased yellow.

Same here with the spring grass