The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

that's good to hear, Swissblad, here's a couple more to play with for those patiently waiting to get their D800 :)

this time real life shots from a little trip to London

first the possibility to investigate the image rendering on a totally overcast late afternoon with dark, heavy clouds ...

Link to the RAW file

80A_0382_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (9.3 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 14 bit 1/30 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

... while this one is in early morning sunlight

Link to the RAW file

80A_0451_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (9.3 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 14 bit 1/100 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

ustein

Contributing Editor
Lovely. Both are great shots and test cases for best raw processing.

Would be interesting how they would look at f/5.6.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I do have this f/5.6 shot from more or less the same angle, Uwe, but the lighting is now totally different (sunset)

and besides the original capture is a bit overexposed, still it's funny with the boat

link to the RAW file

80A_0355_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (8.9 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 14 bit 1/6 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

dhazeghi

I did finally get the chance to shoot the new 50 1.8 G which the cost on this is really low like 229.00. Well don't let the cost fool ya its pretty damn sharp.
Looks like a real winner (along with the 85 further downthread)!

I wonder what other bargain lenses will shine on this body?

DH

Swissblad

that's good to hear, Swissblad, here's a couple more to play with for those patiently waiting to get their D800 :)

this time real life shots from a little trip to London

Tusen tak, Steen - lovely shots to play with.

Will check it out in CS5 as well.

Chris C

Thank you for the generous contributions to this informative thread.

Could someone please comment on how effectively the focus assist works with manual focus lenses?

Also, what would be native print size [at, say 240, or 360 dpi] of processed RAW files?

.......... Chris

tashley

Subscriber Member
I would certainly try 40", especially from the D800E: I get great prints at 180DPI from the IQ180...

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I would certainly try 40"

Certainly, but I always try to be conservative in posting such things.

Jérôme.E

Hi Folks,

Firstly i want to thank you all for this thread. So great, kind of why i do NOT read any other forum actually, even French :thumbup:
This thread makes me really change my mind.

Clients ask me more and more about video. I was thinking about the Canon 5d Mark III (and II) for "general purpose" photography and video as a replacement of my D700's.
I thought Canon files would be ok, a mid range to complete my Leaf Aptus II 10.
But...
Seeing and testing those files from D800 have made me think now different.
The files are great for sure... behind my DB with micro-contrast and details but far I think with tonal graduation and color rendition - transition.
Highlights are well handed and DR is nice.

DOF is the major advantage/disadvantage, it is "extra long" comparing with my DB, more visible than the one you could see between APSC and FF 35 with same stop... for my architectural work it could be nice sometimes and make me wait for my techcam (money in fact :deadhorse:) with less impatience. Most of my clients won't be (unfortunately?) educated enough to see any difference at least til A2/A1 print.
For my portrait work the DB would keep a (huge?) step forward. Bokeh graduation from sharpness to blur and rendering.

I went to Nikon Pro Tour Paris yesterday and made some tries with some of my lenses and others that Guy, Uwe and others haven't tested-posted yet if i remember well.
I had the D800 for about an hour with 24 PCE - 85 1,8 AFS - 105 Macro VR - my 14-24 - my 70-300 VR - my 24-70 and 24 1,4 AFS

D800 feels ok but i prefer it far more with the grip.
Viewfinder and focus is nice... Guy and others told already about all that.
As you can imagine i could not do micro focus adjusting.
The images are a bit boring but we didn't have much space to walk around.

Focussing assistant work pretty well with the MF 24 PCE.

All images have been used with LR4 - Hate NX2 and (trying to :facesmack:) "master" LR - C1 and Ps is already enough for my brain.
I let default setting with NO distortion correction, neutral with 2012 Process (don't like much Adobe standard) - minor highlight recovery when needed and almost none dark tones pushing up.
Waiting for C1 that is my preferred soft for "single image" workflow.

I made a pre-sharpenning high pass with the tif 16b but files could support easily more.
Jepg's 1200pix have been done with "Jack's Web converter kit" :thumbup:

Files look really great for 35 and it's gonna be a pleasure to play with... Digital Outback DOP for example...:D

As soon as my dropbox is full i let you a link to the NEF to play with.

Regards

Jerome

First image 24PCE - Like it a lot even if a bit weak extreme right and left.