The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger, if I were a PJ, a fast 28 would be glued to my main body :)
Agree but I meet a lot of street photographers and I am the exception using my 28/2 summicron ......most prefer the 24/1.4 summilux . The argument is pretty simple the 24 allows just a little more room in the frame to avoid clipping (a real issue when framing close and doing it quickly on a moving subject ) and the 1.4 because they are always getting caught with low light problems . The same applies to weddings,events etc . But the widest you can go and consistently avoid distortion of faces is a 28 .

I am hopeful Leica will introduce a 28 1.4 summilux maybe at photokina . Its becoming a most requested lens . The last time I heard this was when Guy was giving them the business in Germany and they came out with the 21/24 summiluxes .

The Nikon Rumor of a 28 1.8 asph Nikkor is pretty exciting .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's the face distortion thing for me -- and why I jump to the 20 if I feel there is clipping issue. Did this back in M film days -- my regular combo was a 35 lux and 21 Elmarit. Then when the 28 Cron came out (the old 28 Elmar was not great) I was all over it and my 35 Lux saw a lot less use, but I still used the 21 when I needed to get in close.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
It's the face distortion thing for me -- and why I jump to the 20 if I feel there is clipping issue. Did this back in M film days -- my regular combo was a 35 lux and 21 Elmarit. Then when the 28 Cron came out (the old 28 Elmar was not great) I was all over it and my 35 Lux saw a lot less use, but I still used the 21 when I needed to get in close.
Agree 100% ....I use the 21/3.4asph on the M s when I am really too close (unheard of ) . But the face distortion requires that I use the middle 50% of the frame . So I am old school preferring the 21/28/50 mix over the 24/35 alternative.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree but I meet a lot of street photographers and I am the exception using my 28/2 summicron ......most prefer the 24/1.4 summilux . The argument is pretty simple the 24 allows just a little more room in the frame to avoid clipping (a real issue when framing close and doing it quickly on a moving subject ) and the 1.4 because they are always getting caught with low light problems . The same applies to weddings,events etc . But the widest you can go and consistently avoid distortion of faces is a 28 .

I am hopeful Leica will introduce a 28 1.4 summilux maybe at photokina . Its becoming a most requested lens . The last time I heard this was when Guy was giving them the business in Germany and they came out with the 21/24 summiluxes .

The Nikon Rumor of a 28 1.8 asph Nikkor is pretty exciting .

Hey it's never too late for giving them the business again. I remember both of us kind of down there throat. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Well like I said i do a lot of different types of shooting and my money that is usually made is corporate work with that comes executive portraits. So great chance to see the D800 under profoto lighting. Shot here with 3 lights 3 ft Octagon soft box for main no fill but a nice hair light and a background light . Shot at F10 ISO 100 with my 85 1.4 G lens. Went with a nice easy sharpening setting nothing to heavy and tried to keep it a little on the soft side but with detail. Basically tame this beast down which i am quite used to with the IQ 160. Portraits need a soft touch and many overkill it. I used a Color checker and this is the exact WB coming from it and honestly tried all the profiles in ACR and many of them in the highlight areas tended to go much brighter , not something I wanted as i did have some reflection in his forehead which i airbrushed down but I did use camera standard added a touch of fill and recovery. To me its just about dead perfect, I need to maybe crop a touch but the D800 nailed it. Very pleased here. I will go back in and airbrush a touch more but I did work on his bags under his eyes, pimples, birth marks and forehead plus the tip of his nose. pretty normal stuff

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great detail in the black sport coat. (And it didn't turn purple! :ROTFL:) Skintone looks good too.

Guy Mancuso

I will have models in about 10 days and will post them. I had to be a little flat in lighting here to match a existing image but with the models i can do what I want as far as lighting. The good news here and reason for posting it is things look good and the D800 is looking like a really nice all around cam.

gustavo

Guy, that picture is pretty sharp at 100% crop, so how much sharper would be the d800e, which was my first option.
And what do you think about the dof with your new d800?
Gustavo.

Guy Mancuso

Well you can never buy to sharp a camera as you can always tune it down without degradation. Goin up is the issue. Now obviously the E would be a bit more but here in portrait/ fashion land maybe the last thing you want plus here is where moire will become more the issue with fabric. But hey I shoot a MF back and have to deal with it without to many headaches. The DOF is great now on my 160 with effectively the same focal length I would have had to go to about F14 and get his ears in. MF is a diffrent beast that takes a lot of care on portraits you can easily blow it a lot easier.

Guy Mancuso

Okay I need to go shoot this new lens more the 24 1.4 G but it does work great on the D800 so that is the good news and like many lens reviews on it I think maybe actually better in the corners. At 1.4 yes it does have that veiling look and the detail is pretty good but when you hit F2 it lights up a lot. Very nice in the center with still nice creamy bokeh. At like 6.7 or F8 on the same focal plane the corners are very good and F9 excellent so pretty excited about it. Nice punch to the files . Overall a very very nice lens on the D800 I'm keeping it but I do want to get better images to back my words. Not that you folks don't trust me but makes me feel better. Lol

So I'm taking it with me on my trip the D800 and 24/50 1.8 along with my tech cam kit. So hopefully if I get some time I can get some decent images with the 24 to post. I also went in and AF tuned all my lenses surprisingly all my G glass are dead on but my 180 went to -10.

So just FYI in G all 1.4 = 24, 35 and 85 and in 1.8 my 50.