The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Will Nikon launch a 52MP D4X?

Swissblad

Nikon rumors has a posting that the next DX Nikons will have a 24MP chip (probably the same as in the Sony NEX cameras).

As the D800 has the same pixel density as the D7000, this would indicate that the next FX Nikon could have a sensor in the range of 52MP.

Could this be why the D800 is so "cheap" in comparison to the D3/D4 series, as a new D4X with >50MP will be announced in the near future, with a price tag to match?

The question is what implication this will have for MF.

If my H3D31 is already being made outdated by the D800, what about a CFV-50...?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

It is Sony and not Nikon that is likely to bring out a 96 or 100MP sensor camera.

Why only 54MP??

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

A logical next step, in my opinion.

The Leica folks have already done it, they named it 'larger than full frame' before it had its final name.

yaya

I like it that on this forum (as opposed to others) we usually manage to keep the MF section free (or almost free) of small format talk.

So perhaps this thread can be moved to the Nikon section?

BR

Yair

MaxKißler

Normally I try to not post on anything related to "rumors" but I can't help myself. I think the D800 was a bad idea and if the actually go this route, I think this will be even worse. The reason I use a 35mm camera is for convenience in most cases. So what's the use of such a camera that I can't even shoot handhelt?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I like it that on this forum (as opposed to others) we usually manage to keep the MF section free (or almost free) of small format talk.

So perhaps this thread can be moved to the Nikon section?

BR

Yair
Please! Next thing you know, we'll have a D800 vs 5DIII fight. :facesmack:

--Matt

johnnygoesdigital

This is actually a good thread right here because it relates directly to MFD as a reference and comparison point. Those ardent opponents who can't embrace this technology or admit its obvious push into MFD territory seem to be the ones who have already invested in it or represent the MFD companies themselves; how political.

yaya

This is actually a good thread right here because it relates directly to MFD as a reference and comparison point. Those ardent opponents who can't embrace this technology or admit its obvious push into MFD territory seem to be the ones who have already invested in it or represent the MFD companies themselves; how political.
Bulsh*t....It can relate to MFD, be a reference or whatever but still be placed in the Nikon section. There is no shame in that and there should not be any politics involved...

IMO

Yair

Shashin

Shouldn't this be the the Nikon section. I really don't understand when 35mm became medium-format.

But to answer your question, putting TriX in a 4x5 camera does not make it medium-format either. Just as putting Tech Pan in a 35mm camera didn't make it into a 4x5 camera.

Pixels do not define a format. Oddly enough, the format defines the format.

Shashin

Rubbish. Pixel resolution does not define a format. Or are you saying the Sony 18MP compact cameras are now equivalent to a 35mm Leica M9?

Speaking of political, your grudge against MFD has plainly been voiced several times at GetDPI. I think you are the one bring politics into the debate.

Christopher

I can see the points and it probably should be in another section. On the other hand, MF is so low and any real innovations or news it is kinda fun to read the nikon stuff. However, it's true I could read it in the Nikon section... where I would never read it ;)

jlm

Workshop Member
"...putting TriX in a 4x5 camera does not make it medium-format either. Just as putting Tech Pan in a 35mm camera didn't make it into a 4x5 camera.

love this!

johnnygoesdigital

If you define political, in terms of ideas or strategies, then I stand by my comment.
I shoot MFD professionally, and the only grudge I have, is that most of the cameras suck, and they cost a lot of $! This is a forum where ideas and viewpoints can be exchanged, so that's my viewpoint. In most other industries that have these price points, the company would be, and should be, held to a higher standard. Now comes Nikon with its comparable pixel count and MFD, says we can't play. Some may disagree with DXO, but the fact that a 35mm FF DSLR (Nikon D800), has ranked highest in sensor performance ever; evening beating the IQ180, is something to consider, right here in the MFD section.

Shashin

If you define political, in terms of ideas or strategies, then I stand by my comment.
I shoot MFD professionally, and the only grudge I have, is that most of the cameras suck, and they cost a lot of $! This is a forum where ideas and viewpoints can be exchanged, so that's my viewpoint. In most other industries that have these price points, the company would be, and should be, held to a higher standard. Now comes Nikon with its comparable pixel count and MFD, says we can't play. Some may disagree with DXO, but the fact that a 35mm FF DSLR (Nikon D800), has ranked highest in sensor performance ever; evening beating the IQ180, is something to consider, right here in the MFD section.
We are well aware of your viewpoint, you express it quite often, but it is simply a grudge which seem to be simply you feel offended that these companies are not charging what you want them to charge for their products and they don't make what you want them to make. Guess what, you can refuse to pay and use something else. You have made it clear that this axe your are grinding is personal.

And you really don't have a clue about the camera industry. Alpas and Arca Swiss cameras are simply a block of machined metal and yet they are some of the most expensive cameras today. They have no autofocus or sweep panorama. They don't even have a sensor. I suppose you think they are over-priced junk because they are more expensive than a Nikon/Canon DSLR.

This section of the forum is quite clearly for medium-format digital, not DxO mark scores. The Nikon is not a medium-format camera. Is something really hard about that? There is even a Nikon forum on GetDPI where even now folks are talking about and posting results on the D800. Many of the MFD regulars are over there as well finding out about that 35mm camera.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Let's take it easy, it's only speculation about a sensor.

50+ Mp has no place in 35mm format, in my opinion.
What it takes is a new 33 x 44 mm sensor (like the Pentax 645D) in an S2 form factor body, a new mount and a new lens lineup.
I wouldn't be surprised if Canon or Nikon or Sony entered Medium Format as the logical next flagship step in a couple of years.

Cramming more millions of pixels into a 35mm sensor would be silly in my humble opinion, there are already too many of them for my taste, they simply get too small.
So I think the logical answer to the question is that it will more likely be a new Medium Format camera, or something in between 35mm and genuine MF.

I would even think there's room for such a sensor in a D4-like body, after all it's rather big.
I hope to see it happen someday.

johnnygoesdigital

Steen,

I agree completely, fingers crossed!

Shashin, I went through 4 MFD cameras in 1 year because of quality control issues, and even tried the S2 for a possible purchase. I'm a professional photographer/cinematographer, who does know a little something about the camera industry. I love the Alpa's and Arca Swiss cameras, and plan on getting one soon:)