The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 Mirror Up with Self Timer

vjbelle

The manual doesn't specify whether or not the self timer can be used in the mirror up mode. Have any users tried this method so far? It appears that the only way to release the shutter with the mirror up is either with the release button on the camera (not timed) or a cable release.:shocked: This could be a deal killer for me.:angry:

Can anyone comment?

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I got a workaround in the menus under custom settings tab , go to D4 Exposure delay switch. You can set camera to delay at 1,2 or 3 seconds. Now this effects all shooting modes so be it mirror lock up or not the delay will be what you set. It's a little bit of a pain since you need to turn it off when you go back to shooting in normal mode. But it works great and been using it for all my testing lately. No need for remote cables

Page 293 in manual

vjbelle

Thanks Guy..... so when you press the shutter the mirror goes up and then the shutter is delayed wither 1, 2, or 3 seconds depending on what is selected? That would work for me. I would think that this setting could be incorporated into a custom mode (like with Canon's). A different custom mode could be used for normal shooting..... this would eliminate having to go back into the various menus.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea I was thinking of making it into a shooting bank say like B or something . Just have not got around to it

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

When working on a tripod with fixed subjects I may even combine the Exposure delay, d4 in the Custom Setting Menu, with setting the Release Mode dial on Self-timer (and having the Self-timer delay, c3 in the Custom Setting Menu, set at e.g. 2 seconds).

It gives the tripod time to stabilize after you touch the shutter, and you avoid shake from the mirror slap.

I have d4 and c3 in MY MENU, that makes it very easy to turn on and off or change the delay.

vjbelle

This is all very encouraging.:) Thanks for posting the combination settings.

All I need now is the camera.:D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
MC-30 is all you need unless you want an intervalometer. And if you do want an intervalometer, I would recommend the grand-daddy of all intervalometers, the Promote Control P-CTRL-1 which is frankly just about awesome. You can also use it to set HDR sets beyond the std brain dead Nikon limit of a single stop EV bracket step which has been entrenched in all Nikon D series cameras since I don't know when.