The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 85mm

mark1958

I just got this lens-- 85mm 1.8g. Very light. So far so good but have not really had a great chance to take it through a lot of testing. I am interested in comparing it to my Canon 85 1.2 and the nikon 70-200mm VRII. I did a few walk around bokeh comparisons with the Nikon 105mm macro when i was shooting some planted flowers on the Stanford Campus. While the bokeh with the 85mm was decent, the macro was generally more pleasing. Here is a shot with the 85mm 1.8 at 1.8.

Anyone here have any experience with the new 85mm f/1.8 lens?

mark1958

Jack thanks .. yes this was one of my favorites from the series. I am pleased with its performance so far.

For closer images, I still love the macro. I am not jumping up and down with the distant images I took with the macro but need to examine a bit more before making final judgement. I was hoping only to need the macro... since close in focal length

Mark,

It looks darn good to me!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
At twice the price and twice the weight, the macro better perform. Still, for portraits and travel, I'd prefer the 85mm. It even seems to be a worthy competitor to the f/1.4 version. Unfortunately, I have neither.

Lars

I'm just about to sell my 85/1.4D - so many good options out there now. 85/1.8G looks like a winner in the budget department, Sigma 85/1.4 seems to have fantastic bokeh, Zeiss 85/1.4 and of course Nikon 85/1.4G seem excellent in every aspect. Quite a different range of choices than a few years ago.