The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portraits: NOT the D800, but still...

vieri

While all the D800 rage is keep going on the forum, I thought I'd post some recent work with the lowly D3x :D

1. Turkish pianist Ayca Yilmaz

D3x, 85 mm f1.4 G, 4 Speedlights

Nikon D3x, 50 mm f1.4 G, 4 Speedlights

2. Hungarian-italian sculptor Peter Orban

Both with the D3x, 50 mm f1.4 G, 3 Speedlights, Pocket Wizard Mini1/TTL5

3. Four very young musicians, the "Ars Nova Quartet"

D3x, 50 mm f1.4 G, 6 Speedlights, Pocket Wizard Mini1/TTL5

Thank you for viewing! :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I like the fourth one, the one with the crystal ball. Can he see into the future with that? In that case, could you please ask him how many days or weeks those of us without a D800 have left on the face of this earth? Judging from the number of postings about said camera, it can't be long now.

About the first portrait: I actually like that one too, but I find the reflection hitting her chin too strong. My eyes focused directly on that one instead of on her eyes.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I like the fourth one, the one with the crystal ball. Can he see into the future with that? In that case, could you please ask him how many days or weeks those of us without a D800 have left on the face of this earth? Judging from the number of postings about said camera, it can't be long now.
Hi Vieri - Jorgen
Quite agree . . . I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even ordered a D800 yet :shocked::eek:

Canon must be spitting tacks . . . they do their market research, and everyone says "We want Better Pixels NOT More Pixels" . . . . . . .so they bring out the 5D MkIII . . . and everybody plumps for the More Pixels of the D800 (except for Me and Jorgen of course - but we don't plump for either) - it must be galling.

vieri

About the first portrait: I actually like that one too, but I find the reflection hitting her chin too strong. My eyes focused directly on that one instead of on her eyes.
Hello Jorgen, thank you for your comment - the fourth one is my fav as well, and about the first one I missed the reflection(s) on her chin (and eyeglasses as well) during the shoot, but she liked the pic anyway... my fav would have been a different one, but - whatever makes them happy, right? :)

Hi Vieri - Jorgen
Quite agree . . . I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even ordered a D800 yet :shocked::eek:

Canon must be spitting tacks . . . they do their market research, and everyone says "We want Better Pixels NOT More Pixels" . . . . . . .so they bring out the 5D MkIII . . . and everybody plumps for the More Pixels of the D800 (except for Me and Jorgen of course - but we don't plump for either) - it must be galling.
Hi Jono, good to hear from you :) Yes indeed, I bet Canon is not that happy with the current developments :ROTFL: However, the D800 in itself is quite a game changer, having (apparently) both more AND better pixels (at least as far as such high pixel count go!), in a form factor and at a price that makes sense... I am pretty sure Canon could have done it too, though, so they probably will eventually. Definitely, at the moment, with the D4 and D800 (plus the D7000 and D3200) the Nikon lineup looks pretty strong, which is good for Canon shooters too, stimulating their provider to produce something even better.

Out of topic, did you buy an XPro-1 already? :ROTFL: I got one and LOVE it!

vieri

Jorgen, I fixed the reflection on her chin and uploaded a reflection-free version. Thanks again for pointing that out! :D