Site Sponsors

Thread: Portraits: NOT the D800, but still...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Portraits: NOT the D800, but still...

While all the D800 rage is keep going on the forum, I thought I'd post some recent work with the lowly D3x

1. Turkish pianist Ayca Yilmaz

D3x, 85 mm f1.4 G, 4 Speedlights

Nikon D3x, 50 mm f1.4 G, 4 Speedlights

2. Hungarian-italian sculptor Peter Orban

Both with the D3x, 50 mm f1.4 G, 3 Speedlights, Pocket Wizard Mini1/TTL5

3. Four very young musicians, the "Ars Nova Quartet"

D3x, 50 mm f1.4 G, 6 Speedlights, Pocket Wizard Mini1/TTL5

Thank you for viewing!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Portraits: NOT the D800, but still...

I like the fourth one, the one with the crystal ball. Can he see into the future with that? In that case, could you please ask him how many days or weeks those of us without a D800 have left on the face of this earth? Judging from the number of postings about said camera, it can't be long now.

About the first portrait: I actually like that one too, but I find the reflection hitting her chin too strong. My eyes focused directly on that one instead of on her eyes.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 14th April 2012 at 15:26.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I like the fourth one, the one with the crystal ball. Can he see into the future with that? In that case, could you please ask him how many days or weeks those of us without a D800 have left on the face of this earth? Judging from the number of postings about said camera, it can't be long now.
    Hi Vieri - Jorgen
    Quite agree . . . I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even ordered a D800 yet

Canon must be spitting tacks . . . they do their market research, and everyone says "We want Better Pixels NOT More Pixels" . . . . . . .so they bring out the 5D MkIII . . . and everybody plumps for the More Pixels of the D800 (except for Me and Jorgen of course - but we don't plump for either) - it must be galling.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

About the first portrait: I actually like that one too, but I find the reflection hitting her chin too strong. My eyes focused directly on that one instead of on her eyes.
    Hello Jorgen, thank you for your comment - the fourth one is my fav as well, and about the first one I missed the reflection(s) on her chin (and eyeglasses as well) during the shoot, but she liked the pic anyway... my fav would have been a different one, but - whatever makes them happy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Vieri - Jorgen
    Quite agree . . . I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even ordered a D800 yet

Canon must be spitting tacks . . . they do their market research, and everyone says "We want Better Pixels NOT More Pixels" . . . . . . .so they bring out the 5D MkIII . . . and everybody plumps for the More Pixels of the D800 (except for Me and Jorgen of course - but we don't plump for either) - it must be galling.
    Hi Jono, good to hear from you Yes indeed, I bet Canon is not that happy with the current developments However, the D800 in itself is quite a game changer, having (apparently) both more AND better pixels (at least as far as such high pixel count go!), in a form factor and at a price that makes sense... I am pretty sure Canon could have done it too, though, so they probably will eventually. Definitely, at the moment, with the D4 and D800 (plus the D7000 and D3200) the Nikon lineup looks pretty strong, which is good for Canon shooters too, stimulating their provider to produce something even better.

Out of topic, did you buy an XPro-1 already? I got one and LOVE it!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, I fixed the reflection on her chin and uploaded a reflection-free version. Thanks again for pointing that out!
    Vieri Bottazzini