The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A little game of D800 profile guessing...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Mastermind

the sound of silence ... :eek:

wonder if it means I'm wrong about swapping # 1 with # 5 ... :confused:

or does it mean that I just cannot ask questions and expect to get any hints but will have to grow up and take the full responsibility of my own decisions ... :lecture:

this is like Mastermind, I need to run the risk, I hope I win the castle and the princess and half the kingdom ... :shocked:

# 1 Camera Standard

# 2 Camera Neutral

# 3 Camera Landscape

# 4 Camera Vivid

# 5 Xrite profile

tashley

Subscriber Member
OK here are the actual settings:

Tulips
Adobe Standard
Camera Neutral
Camera Landscape
Camera Vivid
XRite Home Brew

Castle
Camera Standard
Camera Neutral
Camera Landscape
Camera Vivid
XRite Home Brew

So most of you got it about right... and I learn that there might not be a lot of point in making Home Brew profiles... the Camera Standard and Neutral, according to taste, both seem a better place to start..

Thanks for looking everyone!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The Castle image

does that mean that I win the Castle ... :angel:

by the way, Tim, my sincere kudos for your profiling work, om my screen # 5 is the best of them all, really impressive :thumbup:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: The Castle image

does that mean that I win the Castle ... :angel:

by the way, Tim, my sincere kudos for your profiling work, om my screen # 5 is the best of them all, really impressive :thumbup:
Thanks Steen,

I slightly agree, but I think the XRite profile fails to get greens truly convincing and tends to oversaturate reds in particular. But these things are often about personal preference!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim do us a favor in each of the two sets so we can see better post the camera standard and the X-rite profile you did. Like to see them side by side. Thanks

Guy Mancuso

I have been pretty happy lately with the camera standard but it could use a liitle work. So like to see if x-rite pulls it off better.

tashley

Subscriber Member
OK Guy, here they are: in each case the Camera Standard is first and then the XRite. Additionally I have done one last Tulip variation, based on the Xrite version but with the Camera Calibration Red Primary settings to Saturation-16 and Hue+16 (more orange, closer to the Camera Standard rendition in the reds but still with the more punchy greens of the Xrite). That's the one posted last.

HTH
Tim

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Tim, sorry if I'm confusing things again, but may I ask you this:

isn't # 1 Tulip still the Adobe Standard rather than the (Nikon) Camera Standard ... ?

Guy Mancuso

The Xrite looks pretty nice. The reds have a little more color depth to it. Looking on my iPad at the moment will check on wide gamut monitor