Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon 800E Milky Way Test

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon 800E Milky Way Test

Just a quick test in the front yard early this morning with the new camera to see the Milky Way - 14-24mm lens at 14mm, ISO 6400, 10 seconds at f3.3, in-camera noise reduction ON. Converted to DNG, opened in CS6 with no corrections.

2000 pixel version, minimum output sharpening, save for web at high/60 quality - http://www.timernst.com/webphotos/04...est2000pix.jpg

*UPDATE - the fullsize file has reached it limit of downloads and is no longer available.
    Last edited by Tim Ernst; 17th April 2012 at 07:54.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon 800E Milky Way Test

Tim, no offense, but it's appears to be so noisy it detracts from the star field? That aside, it is cool that it picked up a hint of the color in the clusters. It shows promise for sure!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

No offense taken Jack - I didn't build the sensor. There is no processing done to this file so it is what it is. I just put up a naked file to show what you get when you shoot at 6400 with this sensor...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for posting this image Tim. It's the first "real user" D800E image I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    No offense taken Jack - I didn't build the sensor. There is no processing done to this file so it is what it is. I just put up a naked file to show what you get when you shoot at 6400 with this sensor...
    Tim, totally understood -- just wanted to make sure we were on the same page -- again, thank you for sharing the image! I do look forward to some ISO 100 shots done with great glass at f5.6 off the tripod though (HINT HINT HINT!!!)

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too Tim. Just called B&H to inquire about the d800e backorder status and they have no idea when my camera will be delivered. Already have the Nikkor 14-24 and 35 1.4 and my zeiss 100 f2 arrives tomorrow ...just no camera for them. Would love to see one of your raws as download at base iso..:-) Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Tim, totally understood -- just wanted to make sure we were on the same page -- again, thank you for sharing the image! I do look forward to some ISO 100 shots done with great glass at f5.6 off the tripod though (HINT HINT HINT!!!)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may have lost some contrast with the high ISO. Maybe add a couple points of black
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

This was just to show a naked file with default processing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Me too Tim. Just called B&H to inquire about the d800e backorder status and they have no idea when my camera will be delivered. Already have the Nikkor 14-24 and 35 1.4 and my zeiss 100 f2 arrives tomorrow ...just no camera for them. Would love to see one of your raws as download at base iso..:-) Eleanor
    Me too Eleanor. I ordered from a local dealer that usually does very well in getting stock even for us non-NPS folks, and they have no clue. And I too have lenses pining away for a body, (also including the Zeiss 100, which I really want to see on the D800e)
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post files of the Zeiss 100 macro on the D800 (not E) tomorrow...