The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 Aerial

ustein

Contributing Editor
Where you can never have too much resolution is in aerial photography. I tried today the D800 with the 24-120 f/4 VR. VR was set to active (useful for high frequency shake). Shot from a 1947 Stinson plane.

This is actually a crop from this shot:

This is the first one I worked on and hopefully more to come.

Here are the images also in full resolution:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/DOPFieldTests/NikonD800Aerials/

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice image Uwe -- and it definitely speaks well to the 24-120 too ;)

V

Vivek

Is HDR involved in the post? Something (I don't know how to word it) seems blocked.

This is an interesting topic/area. Please post more as you can. :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>and it definitely speaks well to the 24-120 too

You bet. Good to have VR too. I post later images how I shoot from the plane. Cannot have a longer zoom.

>Please post more as you can.

Will do.

>seems blocked.

What do you mean by it? No HDR processing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Is HDR involved in the post? Something (I don't know how to word it) seems blocked.
If anything it's too flat for my tastes, but not blocked. IMHO not enough black, and not enough global contrast or micro-contrast (clarity).

V

Vivek

Thank you, Jack.:) I did not know how to put it (I said so).

I understand that it isn't trivial to take a shot from a flying plane and appreciate all the things involved (including money) to capture aerials.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>If anything it's too flat for my tastes, but not blocked. IMHO not enough black, and not enough global contrast or micro-contrast (clarity).

I shoot from 1500-2000 feet through a lot of air. Hard to get the global and micro contrast without crushing it. But this maybe not my final processing.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>plane and appreciate all the things involved (including money) to capture aerials.

I am lucky because this is a friends airplane (from 1947). You could call is a historic plane because the original owner was Pancho Barnes (google it or watch the movie "The Right Stuff").

tashley

Subscriber Member
Cool riding there Uwe - did you use a UV filter because through all that air that's looking pretty darned good to me...

ustein

Contributing Editor
>did you use a UV filter because through all that air that's looking pretty darned good to me...

Yes, a Tiffen top filter. This was probably the best air I had so far. Not too hot.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I plan to test the Zeiss 100mm for aerials with the D800. Maybe able to use it at f/4 for very high shutter speeds.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I think the biggest hindrance is the plexiglass window

The window is open. So there is no plexiglass inbetween, 200mm is way to big with to narrow FOV.

Lens FA150 2,8 at F5.
I am unable to download full size jpg on the page linked, am I missing something?
Tomorrow I'll post the dng on FTP
Thanks.
Sergio