The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

800 vs 800E

vjbelle

MR at LL has a comparison of the 800 vs 800E. There is a definite advantage in resolution with the E version. Am patiently awaiting my delivery.....

Victor

R

richard.L

all 500 are shipping. small start.
best chance to get was small store + NPS

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I do NOT see a big difference in his "examples." If you look closely, you can see the actual focus point is different in the two grabs, the D800 more rearward placing the foreground in less sharp focus. Not convinced yet, sorry.

I see a very minimal improvement in edge contrast at the pixel level in the best of circumstances. This may reflect slightly better definition in very large prints, but for most work I believe the difference will go largely un-noticed.

Will I get an E for myself, yes --- BUT! The caveat is I would only recommend one as a second "special applications" body to a regular D800...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
:lecture:
We're going to see a LOT of comparisons of unsharpened D800 vs. D800E, and it's just wrong. Sorry to link to my own post, but...

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/395479-post5.html

To summarize, "AA filter/capture sharpen", like, e.g., DOLBY sound, is a single processing step. Do both halves, or do neither.

/:lecture:

--Matt

Honestly, I do NOT see a big difference in his "examples." If you look closely, you can see the actual focus point is different in the two grabs, the D800 more rearward placing the foreground in less sharp focus. Not convinced yet, sorry.
This (very informal) test seems to agree with you. The only real difference I see is some moiré from the printing screen on a couple of book covers.

vjbelle

Time will tell, right? You will soon enough be able to make your own comparisons. I'm not defending MR...... he is not my benchmark but I do have some confidence in his ability to focus properly. I cannot discern the focus point difference between the two images..... I do, though, acknowledge that one is sharper than the other.... A fluke?... time will tell.

Victor

vjbelle

LL has posted additional comparisons of 800 vs 800E. Again..... they are not my benchmark but..... this is becoming much more conclusive. The 'E' has a definite advantage.

Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
IMHO it's gonna be a clear win for the 800 over the E. I will very soon know from personal experience!

vjbelle

IMHO it's gonna be a clear win for the 800 over the E. I will very soon know from personal experience!
Maybe you could expand a little on this..... Granted there is a price difference and that is a benefit for the 800. Other than that I can't fathom what you are trying to state.... unless slightly less acuteness is beneficial for you. In my world more resolution is always important:)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Doh, I typed it the wrong way round! The E will have a sharpness advantage visible on screen and in print, and though you'll be able to fake the same level of sharpness by pp sharpening an 800 file, it won't be as convincing and will make the whole file feel a touch more crunchy. Moire is the semi-unknown here, and I am guessing it will be less of an issue than some people fear.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The E will have a sharpness advantage visible on screen and in print,
Yes, but I suspect you'll only see it in the largest prints, and even then you'll have to look VERY closely AND have the prints side by side to see it.

Moire is the semi-unknown here, and I am guessing it will be less of an issue than some people fear.
I am guessing it will be a *HUGE* deal for anybody who regularly shoots people wearing clothes, like fashion or wedding folk. But I also predict it will only be an occasional problem that is found after the fact at the most inopportune times: like the bride cutting the cake or tossing the bouquet, or in the perfectly timed shot of the perfume model jumping from the pier onto the boat as it debarks -- both will have a colorful wavy pattern streaming through their gorgeous gowns :D

ustein

Contributing Editor
If I would buy now I would likely get the D800E but I did not wanted to wait. On the other side I don't see our work suffer from the D800.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yes, but I suspect you'll only see it in the largest prints, and even then you'll ha -- both will have a colorful wavy pattern streaming through their gorgeous gowns :D
Very fashionable this bridal season...:ROTFL:

Seriously though, I am sure that's right: I am forever finding moire in M9 files, though of course the finer pixels of the E should help. I wouldn't use it in wedding or fashion situations (if I ever shot them) until I'd gotten to know it very well indeed...

R

richard.L

I am guessing it will be a *HUGE* deal for anybody who regularly shoots people wearing clothes, like fashion or wedding folk. But I also predict it will only be an occasional problem that is found after the fact at the most inopportune times: like the bride cutting the cake or tossing the bouquet, or in the perfectly timed shot of the perfume model jumping from the pier onto the boat as it debarks -- both will have a colorful wavy pattern streaming through their gorgeous gowns :D
which is probably why Bergdorf Goodman shooters avoid using Hassy or Phase backs in their work <iron>

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
All kidding aside, shooting with no AA filter in a *controlled studio* environment is a very different thing than shoot it on the fly in a real-time setting; very easy to confirm results and do a re-take in the studio, much tougher real time on location...

To summarize, "AA filter/capture sharpen", like, e.g., DOLBY sound, is a single processing step. Do both halves, or do neither.
What I am most interested in is how close a properly sharpened D800 gets to a D800E. I'm hanging out on the sidelines for many reasons until there is more information. I never saw moire on the DMR, but I know lots of people have on the M8 and M9, but the results were sharper images with better color separation than any DSLR I have seen. 16-bit, CCD, no AA filter? I have no idea. The bottom line is the proof is in the print, I don't care about the technology.