The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E with 50 Cron R: match made in Heaven?

V

Vivek

I think there are many Leica R owners who would strongly disagree.

Personally, I think the rangefinder bias of some Leica owners (those who might declare that a reflex Leica is not a "proper" Leica) is rubbish.

To those folks, I suppose the "S" line is not a proper Leica either. Thankfully, Leica has seen fit to broaden it's base beyond the rangefinder world. I only wish they had continued development of the R series. I would love to buy a 36mp Leica R10 today and use all of my Leica R lenses on both a film and digital Leica R body.

Despite Leica's ill advised decision to abandon the R line, if there is one thing that has always set Leica apart, it's their lenses (whether M, R or S).

The continued appeal of Leica R lenses (such as Tim's 50mm Summicron) for use on non-Leica cameras is a testament to their enduring value.

Gary

Hey Gary, I am (still) a R owner/user. The S isn't a proper Leica. I agree. Take look at the S1. It can take any lens in any mount. :D
Value, in terms of $ has plummeted. Another reason. ;)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
So they are good glasses to work with no matter what denomination.

I'm afraid it's not quite that simple.

Here quoting Karen Nakamura:

"Although older lenses were originally made with 1- or 2-cams, Leica offered an upgrade service to bring them up to 3-cams (you can also modify a R-only or ROM-only lens backwards to 3-cam as well, although you lose the ROM contacts if you do this).
So just because a lens has 3-cams doesn't mean that it is a second-generation lens. You have to use other factors in determining the lens version such as the distinct profile of each version, the serial number, the presence or absence of a built-in lens hood; or the weight."

Leica R Mount SLR Lenses - Photoethnography.com's Classic Camera DB

In other words you cannot identify the version just by looking at the cams, you'll have to focus on the engraved Serial Number to find out which Model Number (version / optical formula) the lens is.

My advice would be to ask the knowledgeable Leica folks on the Leica board before you decide which model (i.e. range of engraved Serial Numbers) of a specific lens to start looking for.

Also read John Black's comments on the pebbleplace dot com website:

Go to these paragraphs:

"A WORD OF CAUTION WHEN PURCHASING USED LENSES"

"DO YOUR HOMEWORK"

DECODING THE LEICA-R DATABASE

Personally I used to concentrate on Serial Numbers back in the days when I searched for R lenses, using John Black's Leica R lens database and in that way identifying the different (!) Version I, II or III optical formulas.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Like to use a Leica 19 mm but you have to modify the shroud. Oh wait I have done this before. LOL

Need to find my file. Had it stored for years.

BSEH

There is information for years reading about Leica lenses, but most of it's based on a completely different context than using lenses on digital sensors.

So instead of doing homework look at Tims pictures, and go buy a 50 summicron-R, and have some fun..:)

tashley

Subscriber Member
There is information for years reading about Leica lenses, but most of it's based on a completely different context than using lenses on digital sensors.

So instead of doing homework look at Tims pictures, and go buy a 50 summicron-R, and have some fun..:)
Keep talking them prices up buddy!

:D

BSEH

Yours for sale ... ? :ROTFL:

Yes, me and my big mouth - lost 2 auctions on Ebay today ... :) :loco:

archivue

i'd like to see a comparison using a 50 cron vs current zeiss vs 50 contax 1,7 and 1,4

is there a way to mount my contax 28, 35, 50/1,7 on a D800 ?

BSEH

i'd like to see a comparison using a 50 cron vs current zeiss vs 50 contax 1,7 and 1,4

is there a way to mount my contax 28, 35, 50/1,7 on a D800 ?
Yes, Leitax F-mount - look Vintage lens on D800 in Nikon forum, and se 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 on a D800.