The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E with 50 Cron R: match made in Heaven?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I got a Leitax adaptor for my ROM version 50 Cron R and have been using it for snapshot travel as my low light lens, with the 20-140 as daylight general purpose.

The Cron is just lovely. It is so articulate with the D800E: there is some poetry to it I feel, and I will be using it a lot more...

All these handheld at mostly around F4 or a bit less and at dusk through very low light gloaming...

Everyone needs this lens. It is very sharp to edges and corners but also gentle and subtle.

Half sized originals at:

Tim Ashley Photography | D800E with 50 Cron R | _DSC0286

Last edited:

BSEH

:thumbs: amazing picture - thanks.

BTW ..David from BCN, who makes Leitax adaptors need pic with D800 and leica lens on, if you have time for it..:)

tashley

Subscriber Member
:thumbs: amazing picture - thanks.

BTW ..David from BCN, who makes Leitax adaptors need pic with D800 and leica lens on, if you have time for it..:)

I'd be happy to do that for him but it'll have to wait...for the first time in my life I only have one camera with me!

tashley

Subscriber Member
He, he.....
OT, Tim, but I think you need also the Lux R.
Here on the Nex 7 ( still waiting for the d800)

Cote d'azur?

Sergio
Aaah... But I have the Noctilux f1 M for the Nex...
;-)

Cote d'Azur yes... Beautiful, lovely light, photographically a bit uninspiring....

V

Vivek

Everyone needs this lens. It is very sharp to edges and corners but also gentle and subtle.
Looks like a smooth endorsement! :ROTFL:

Do you see moire?

I have the older version (also in F mount). Fabulous lens.

Your description, "sharp but also gentle and subtle", is spot on. :thumbs:

You should do reviews!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Looks like a smooth endorsement! :ROTFL:

Do you see moire?

I have the older version (also in F mount). Fabulous lens.

Your description, "sharp but also gentle and subtle", is spot on. :thumbs:

You should do reviews!

I see no moire so far - that shot of the sun loungers in the Fun with Nikon Images thread with 70-200VRII was supposed to show if there is any, since the fabric is a fine, regular plastic mesh. Nada!

:thumbs:

Last edited:

BSEH

I'd be happy to do that for him but it'll have to wait...for the first time in my life I only have one camera with me!
Thanks, sure when ever you have time, and 2 cameras..:)

The old town in Antibes offers some places of fototografic interest..

.....la côte, très touristique....

BSEH

It's amazing :bugeyes:

Can't wait to get my cron 90/2 on the D800 - I don't think it lives up to the ROM version, but i have high hope for it..

hubertk

Hi Tim

Thanks so much for these. I have been very interested in getting some Leica lesnes for my Nikon. I am curious about your experience with the usability of these lenses. Do you have to manually stop down the aperture? Any problems associated with that? I am using the D4 and D800e with the DK17m magnifier.

Thank,

Hubert

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hubert, it's a pleasure to share something as fun as this! In fact, photography hasn't been so exciting for a while IMHO.

I find it mildly glitchy to use but nothing that a half day experience won't sort out. I have very few problems with focus without a magnifier, more problems with using too slow a shutter: the lens is sharp, the pixels many, the demands great. I suggest at least a 1/200th if you want to be certain.

There's a software bug in the D800/E that doesn't transmit the Non CPU Lens data to the Auto ISO system so I suggest using manual, set the shutter in daylight to 1/500th and the base ISO to 100, then select the aperture you want and if there's no available ISO that suits that combination, change the shutter speed. It's very quick. I also find that the D800 tends to overexpose most shots (clipping is everywhere and I constantly underexposing to compensate) but oddly often underexposes with the 50 Cron... something to do with the metering with non-cpu glass. However, again it sounds complex and is in fact dead easy once you know what you're doing.

The results are just lovely. Here's one I posed in another thread, which just looks great on screen at bigger sizes.

hubertk

That's fantastic. Thanks Tim. It sounds like shooting with stop down metering isn't too big of a challenge. Any tips on adapter Series 6 to thread filters?

This latest shop is absolutely lovely. Love the colours! Was much post done to it?

tashley

Subscriber Member
That's fantastic. Thanks Tim. It sounds like shooting with stop down metering isn't too big of a challenge. Any tips on adapter Series 6 to thread filters?
Not sure what you mean Hubert... I used the Leitax, which was easy if not exactly trivial to install... but I only have the one lens and it's a bayonet R not a threaded mount.

This latest shop is absolutely lovely. Love the colours! Was much post done to it?
Well, these days it's very hard to tell what is PP and what is merely making a choice in the development of a RAW file...

:grin: ;) :ROTFL: