The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E: I found the moire - big time!

Stefan Steib

Hi Bob

well , it just covered that there was an automatic hyperlink created that was hidden in the edit window. I had copied the jpg urls and just changed the .jpg to .NEF. In my edit window this looked ok and I thought it will generate the hyperlinks anew from the new link but it kept the old one active.
I think this was in quick edit- so maybe this would not have happened in advanced....

regards
Stefan

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tim.

What I see in these images is C1 being unable to remove the moire without leaving behind pattern moire. Nice and sharp but only if you like parque patterns! (I've had this with P25+ and boat wake images). NX2 obviously is doing a great job! Imagine that, the manufacturer's raw converter doing the best job fixing their raws :D

Stefan Steib

I tried the Moiree tool in the new Lightroom 4.1 RC2 today - WOW !
Whatever it does - it takes some time , but the result looks marvelous !

regards
Stefan

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim.

What I see in these images is C1 being unable to remove the moire without leaving behind pattern moire. Nice and sharp but only if you like parque patterns! (I've had this with P25+ and boat wake images). NX2 obviously is doing a great job! Imagine that, the manufacturer's raw converter doing the best job fixing their raws :D

I know, weird, hey? But I agree with Stefan: the LR tool is looking very promising but NX2 is like a very old hooker: it might have some tricks up it's sleeve but you really don't want to look up the sleeve....

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's LR 4 with 100% moire removal as a local adjustment on the right hand four shutters and not on the left hand two. Like C1, good at colour removal, less able with pattern, but they are both sharper than NX2, which I think is fudging the pattern with blur, and it shows...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Capture NX2 with sharpen & moire removal, love it or hate it, still definitely does a lot better job with leaving the slats in the louvre's intact.

danielmoore

Looks to me like C1 has no problem with the Stefan's fabric. Here's an animated GIF at 100%. I'm liking this very much.

tashley

Subscriber Member
The question is: is it a problem for you? I dont have an issue with the rare cases and apparently its easy to fix

Remove Nikon D800/e Moiré in Lightroom 4 and Photoshop
It is easy to fix in the very mild example shown on that link however, as you will see higher up this thread, with a serious example it is much harder (in fact I would say impossible) to fix. Luckily bad cases like the shutters above are rare in my experience.

jagsiva

I know, weird, hey? But I agree with Stefan: the LR tool is looking very promising but NX2 is like a very old hooker: it might have some tricks up it's sleeve but you really don't want to look up the sleeve....
What the Heck is C1 doing with the Moire removal, I thought it would be better than this...certainly not introduce other issues into the image.

F

fledgeling

Hi, Tim, and thanks very much for making your findings available here.

When I saw on the shutters the different patterns arising from different conversion software, I assumed that the mosaic pattern had been blurred into horizontal slats by Capture NX rather than that slats had been given an extra dimension in Lightroom and Capture One. Did you get close enough to the house to confirm that this definitely, definitely is not the case?

Thanks again for your trouble.

John