Site Sponsors

Thread: Question D800 and higher ISO's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question D800 and higher ISO's

From Fred Miranda's review, it was most impressive to me to see how well the D800 image did when the shadows were pushed. The results he obtained with the Canon 5D MKIII were disappointing enough to me that I borrowed a friends for a view days and I found the same problem, considerable color noise and banding. With all you guys shooting D800's out there how many shots have been taken at say iso 800 to 1600 and noise levels reviewed. Mainly in the shadows. The only review I have found was here: at Camera Labs.

Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800 noise | Cameralabs

Their results were pretty harsh on the D800 from 800 on up. But based on what Fred was able to do at iso 100, these results surprised me. I would love to see what some others are getting with the D800 at iso 800 on up.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question D800 and higher ISO's

If you check out with DxO you see that the DR advantage of the D800 is at low ISO. Why do you want to shoot at higher ISO values? You get noise and lose the 36MP advantage.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

These example are straight out of camera JPG's, aren't they? From experience with both Nikon and Canon files, shooting and editing in a RAW workflow would show more of the story. From the files I have played with the new Nikon and Canon offerings are both pretty equally matched within the 1600 – 6400 range.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that when you shoot the mid-tones of a scene at ISO 100, you are effectively exposing the shadows at several stops higher. On the D800, you can pull astonishing, clean details out of the shadows of a low ISO shot (it is all recorded, lurking there as if you'd taken an HDR bracket three stops overexposed at the same time) but naturally if your base exposure was at 800 then those shadows will be at, say 3200 0r 6400 when bumped up. That will start to show noise, obviously, though at 50% zoom it's usually still pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe,

I was hoping to be able to use the D800 for both day and night work, but also be a camera that I could use across the board, covering needs for both high ISO and normal levels. When I saw Fred's report on how clean the iso100 was, I hoped that this would extrapolate upwards into at least 1600. The difference between the Canon 5DMKIII at 100 and D800 was pretty darn impressive.

As finding a D800 is pretty hard to do, especially right now, I was hoping to get a few more real world examples.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    .....I was hoping to be able to use the D800 for both day and night work......l
    Paul - I really thought that Tim had answered your question, but perhaps not in the form you need. I really think you should read all of Michael Reichmann :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ressions.shtml

The answer to your question of 'night' use should leap out of the article.

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chris, that review helped I had missed the lula article. I have added my name to long list.

Paul