Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D800E with 24mm PC-E

ssanacore

Re: D800E with 24mm PC-E

Quote Originally Posted by danielmoore View Post
    I'd be interested to see those findings as well. I did a similar test to what you're asking and found that for moderate shifts I did better to shoot wider with a 14-24 and crop. A D800 should really make this a viable option. I only tried one 24 PC-E from lens rentals, and was underwhelmed.
    I too am interested to see if the Nikon 24 Shift is up to the task for this new sensor. Color shifts and fall off can be solved with an LCC, but resolution can not. The new Canon shifts are wonderful but has anyone adapted them for us on the Nikon yet?

ssanacore

Hey, maybe Canon will at least make Nikon mount versions of their shift lenses if they don't want to make a high MP body :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssanacore View Post
    I too am interested to see if the Nikon 24 Shift is up to the task for this new sensor. Color shifts and fall off can be solved with an LCC, but resolution can not. The new Canon shifts are wonderful but has anyone adapted them for us on the Nikon yet?
    That would be impossible, due to the shorter flange distance of the Canon lenses - as in, you can use Nikon lenses on a Canon body (there is room for the thickness of an adaptor between the body and the lens) but not the other way round.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is the Olympus 24mm shift lens, and Leitax adapters for Olympus lens to Nikon body, but no mention of that particular lens on the Leitax site... it might work, maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

I know it is shift only, but has anyone used the Super Angulon 28 (which comes in Nikon mount)? And compared it to the Nikon 24PC-E?
    Last edited by weinschela; 6th May 2012 at 11:14. Reason: Shift only, not tilt only.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ming Thein, who's opinions I value, says the 24PCE is very good on the 800E so I am going to trial a second copy and see if I just had a truly crap sample. This is our best shot at movements for this camera in this FOV so between us all we need to bottom out hat is the best it can do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ming told me the 24PCE has a very good performance with the d800e but only mounted on a very solid tripod and with a precise technique. He said that I should consider that lens only for very specific proposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. My tests were tripod, MUP, delay, and not bad technique and the lens was still crappy! So I will try another one....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, I enjoy your photographs, and supposed you have good technique. Ive just tried to complete the Ming concept. Please share your conclusions with us.

Post Thanks / Like

I will! I'd love to hear what other people are finding too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
    I know it is shift only, but has anyone used the Super Angulon 28 (which comes in Nikon mount)? And compared it to the Nikon 24PC-E?
    I've used both, but not compared in any rigorous way. My impression is that th Schneider is better with a little bit of shift (5mm or less) and the Nikon is better with a lot of shift. Although Neither is great with a lot of shift.

tfmphotographics

Ive been using the Nikon PC-E 24mm with a D200 for a couple of years
    and it has performed great...even at high rise and fall...
    To be honest i have got some good results with the D800 as with this shot here
    Overall i have not been blown away by this on the D800 yet but have not got off to the best start with the camera due to back focusing probs and not great image sharpness...
    I have had one D800 returned and callibrated from Nikon and am currently testing the second one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sold the 24 PC-e I had. It was SOFT and the edges where fairly ordinary. I pondered what to do for a while.

Then bought a used 28/3.5 PC lens. It hasnt arrived yet. has anyone got an idea what I am in for? I usually only use it for architectural and some stitched landscapes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the 28 and 35 Nikkor PC lenses several years back. On the 35's it really didn't matter much which version, they were all decent, not exceptional. On the 28's, the latest model was clearly superior to the earlier one -- again, I would say they were competent, not exceptional. Note they do not tilt, only shift. IIRC, mine worked best at f8/f11.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update: Got my pre-owned, verified good-copy 24 PC-E late on Friday, did some quick tests with it yesterday. Simple net is that it is a very good copy. It is sharp corner to corner at f5.6, 8 and even 11 though diffraction is visible as early as f8. It performs better at closer focusing distances, or more accurately what I would call normal subject distances for this type of lens, say the 3 to 15 meter range. In this range, the lens can keep up with the sensor almost fully corner to corner when zeroed. As distances increase beyond 15 m, resolution falls off a little and while it's visible at 100% view, for all intents will be immaterial even for a large print. On a full horizontal shift, the last 4mm or so of the corners are mushy, but good enough for sky or irrelevant foreground, just don't expect to pull usable textures from there. I need to test more vertical shifting of a landscape orientation image, but it appears that is fully usable on this lens. Lens seems well-centered, perhaps a tad better on the RH edge than the left when fully shifted. Lens has some curvature which is expected and actually welcomed by me for most of my uses for this lens. Use note on tilts, a little goes a long way with a lens this short -- in most typical cases, 1 or 2 degrees will be all you ever use. In fact, I would reco that Nikon go to a finer adjustment design for the future version that would allow an easy input of a quarter or half degree of tilt. So at the end of the day I'm a happy camper with a very usable and welcome lens added to my stable, but the reality remains Nikon needs to refresh it for their newest sensors.

And please Nikon, bring on a fresh 17 PC-E!!!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, does yours have the tilt and swing in the same plane? It's my understanding that Nikon can switch this like on the old Canon's.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Jack, does yours have the tilt and swing in the same plane? It's my understanding that Nikon can switch this like on the old Canon's.

Paul
    They can, and when they do, if you're happy unscrewing things you can do the adjustment yourself afterwards as they put in a longer ribbon cable. I haven't tried opening mine myself yet though.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to go back and look, but with some focal length Nikon T/S lenses, as just mentioned, you can change the tilt and swing "plane" yourself, since the ribbon cable is long enough..but with one in particular (I believe it's the 24mm), a longer cable has to first be installed by Nikon.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post

Paul
    Mine is set up factory (perpendicular) and I have not opened it up to see if I can swap it to parallel.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,

Why you are investing in 24 PC-E when you have technical camera with close to same focal length? Just asking.

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by subrata1965 View Post
    Jack,

Why you are investing in 24 PC-E when you have technical camera with close to same focal length? Just asking.

Subrata
    Easy, for convenience and completeness in my Nikon kit.
    Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your asking a lens whore this question. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Easy, for convenience and completeness in my Nikon kit.
    Jack,

Would love to hear your Nikon lens collections so far. May be a mini review like the one on Mamiya / Phase lenses.

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Your asking a lens whore this question. ROTFLMAO
    You too! I also observed that you are waiting for Zeiss 18mm.

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those so inclined, there's no surprise jack-in-the-box inside the 24PCE, just a ribbon cable once the screws are removed. I was reluctant until Roger at lens rentals suggested I look inside during my rental with aperture recognition trouble. Turned out to be a simple fix.