The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 looking like MF... post links here

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Good lighting means a lot.

But I think you could have told me it was any format and I would have believed you, for me it's impossible to judge from such small web-sized photos.

Btw it looks familiar. My wife has a transistor radio exactly like that :)

pophoto

Good lighting means a lot.

But I think you could have told me it was any format and I would have believed you, for me it's impossible to judge from such small web-sized photos.

Btw it looks familiar. My wife has a transistor radio exactly like that :)
Is that implying you at the window and your wife by the radio? :p

tashley

Subscriber Member
But seriously folks, I did my first studio shoot with the 800e yesterday. Well actually with the IQ180 but I couldn't resist popping off some frames on the Nikon and it sort of took over. The lens I had with me that best fit the scene was the 70-200VRII (not an obvious choice!) and it worked really well, with superb AF.

I have been bitten so many times by the Phase AFD AF system that these days in the studio I only ever use it on a tripod manually pre-focussed. So it was really nice with the Nikon to dance around clicking merrily.

i can't show the shots unfortunately but I was looking for just one winner and a few runners up and as it happens the winner was shot on the Nikon. At a pixel level on screen it looks wonderful, immense subtlety and range. But the fact is, it just happens to be the precise angle and light I liked the most and so I chose it. I think the point is, I could choose it for the aesthetic value of the frame rather than worrying about the technical suitability for my intended use (a 34 inch print series) because both cameras provided superb IQ.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have to keep reminding myself:
#1 is lighting
#2 is composition
#3 is everything else
Does anyone know the origin of that aphorism? It's painfully true.

Good thing I don't own any Nikon glass. But then I don't own any Leica S glass either :ROTFL:

--Matt

johnnygoesdigital

To be considered truly pithy, i'd say the first one should be;

#1. camera.

The D800 in the hands of a skilled photographer, who is quite proficient in post production, need not look back at MFD.

V

Vivek

I have to keep reminding myself:
#1 is lighting
#2 is composition
#3 is everything else
Does anyone know the origin of that aphorism? It's painfully true.

Good thing I don't own any Nikon glass. But then I don't own any Leica S glass either :ROTFL:

--Matt
If you leave out those details, it basically boils down to the photographer who also chooses what gear to use when. It is that simple.:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
MF is still MF the Nikon has not changed anything except we can cheat better. LOL

It's really that simple but I'm buying more Nikon lenses and dropping my back down to a smaller back for my tech cam. Yes you read that correct. Contact me you know what I have and willing to trade for a 140

David Schneider

I honestly don't know what you can tell from a single web image, especially if it's not a direct comparison. I am far, far from an expert, but I haven't seen too many images D800 images that had that certain "feel" to them that mfd images routinely have. However, I have seen a fair number that I thought had more of that "feel" from the Fuji XPro1. I haven't seen any images that show me more resolution or detail either.

Nathan W. Lediard

Well what gives it away to me as not MF is the distortion of the chair on the left and radio on the bed... looks like wide angle was used... Its the kinda stretching that I see when using my 16-35 on my 1Ds, but I dont see on my Hassy.. (not least coz 28mm is the widest it goes)

T.Karma

In his slide show nothing that really impresses me from the "look" point of view.
Most pics look heavily processed.
But I also think that the old 22mp backs had the best look, so I guess my opinion is somewhat irrelevant.
Agree though fully on the notion about the new Fuji with the x-cmos sensor.