The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 35mm Lens Meets Sinar Medium Format Sensor

PSon

I always wanted to see some of the most well respected 35mm format lens on CCD sensor without the AA filter. This image was taken with the Sinar back and the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF. The aperture was at F5.6. The first image represents the whole image. The second image is a 100% crop factor to allow full resolution scale view. No sharpening was applied to both images. You are welcome to sharpen the image to your taste. About couple of weeks from now I will show RobSteve the Leica Apo Summicron-R 2.0/180 ROM. This is the lens he always wanted to know how really big the image circle of the lens. Here you can judge for yourself the size of the image circle that the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF can handle. The digital sensor size is 49 x 36.7 mm.

Last edited:

etrigan63

Good grief! You can see the printer's 4-color dot arrays on the label! Now you can really see the resolving power of this lens!

Felipe

impressive this is! but please keep in mind that the imagecircle gets larger with higher magnifications.

how did you mount the lens to the back?

T

thsinar

hi Son,

it is astonishing! It looks like it was taken in multishot mode: can you confirm this?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

This image was taken with the Sinar back and the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF.

gogopix

Subscriber
Son
what was the setup?
I am particularly interested in ways that Leica lenses can be mated to digital backs, maybe with an adapter for the alpa.

If someone could get an adpter from a schneider alpa mount that allows for mounting R lenses, that would be HUGE!

regards
Victor

BJNY

hi Son,

it is astonishing! It looks like it was taken in multishot mode: can you confirm this?
My guess is the Zeiss lens was mounted in a Copal #3 shutter as shown in Kapture Group's TrueWide solution, which makes it challenging to do multi-shot with having the re-cock the shutter?

What would be even more interesting to test is the range of Digaron S&T lenses mentioned by Jordan, if in fact these are the same optical formulas as the new HR Digaron-W 40mm f/4 and the acclaimed Rodenstock Apo Macro Sironar Digital.

Billy

BJNY

A dream would be if Son were successful in putting Nikon & Leica mounts onto a Rollei Electronic Shutter #1

PSon

impressive this is! but please keep in mind that the imagecircle gets larger with higher magnifications.

how did you mount the lens to the back?
Felipe,
Yes I am aware that the closer the lens to the subject, the bigger the image circle. Every lens is considered unique for its special niche. Here the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF is normally a portrait or macro lens. Thus, the preliminary test of this lens is within the distance that make this lens unique. The distance is about portrait length in the images posted. I will attempt to get some portrait in this distance later on today and share here. I also would consider testing the lens at closer up. I still need to acquire more tool to get a complete test and thus as mentioned this is the preliminary test only.

I use adapter to mount the lens.

Son

PSon

hi Son,

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry
hi Thierry,
Yes you are correct! It is a 16 shots. I am very fortunate to be able to own the Sinar multi-shots back. Since testing lens with high resolving power, the limiting factor could be due to the low resolution digital back. Here the 9 micron sensor become a 4.5 micron pixel size and no interpolation is needed for colors and thus avoiding mosiac patterns during processing. Up to date the Sinar digital back that I am using is still the gold standard.

Best Regards,
-Son

PSon

Very nice resolution. Did Thierry guess it right? Which Sinar back was it?
hi Graham,
Thierry is on the ball as usual. I am also planing to use this on the Sinar m camera with the Nikon module.

Best Regards,
-Son

PSon

Son
what was the setup?
I am particularly interested in ways that Leica lenses can be mated to digital backs, maybe with an adapter for the alpa.

If someone could get an adpter from a schneider alpa mount that allows for mounting R lenses, that would be HUGE!

regards
Victor
Victor,
Just let me know which Leica lens you like to try out and I will test them for you.

Best Regards,
Son

PSon

A dream would be if Son were successful in putting Nikon & Leica mounts onto a Rollei Electronic Shutter #1
Billy,
You are thinking what I am thinking as well. I do have the Rollei Electronic Shutter No. 0. But this task is going to be difficult for us since the opening is quite small. Thus, I decided to turn to the world leader in flexibility, Sinar, and got the Sinar m electronic shutter. This way it makes thing a lot easier to shoot many different optics that I like. I will post more on the Sinar m camera in a couple of week after Photo Expo in new york. I am going to the show btw and would love to meet you all there.

best regards,
Son

PSon

My guess is the Zeiss lens was mounted in a Copal #3 shutter as shown in Kapture Group's TrueWide solution, which makes it challenging to do multi-shot with having the re-cock the shutter?

What would be even more interesting to test is the range of Digaron S&T lenses mentioned by Jordan, if in fact these are the same optical formulas as the new HR Digaron-W 40mm f/4 and the acclaimed Rodenstock Apo Macro Sironar Digital.

Billy
Billy,
You nailed it here. The electronic shutter is a great option for multi-shot back. The copal shutter just does not do it for me and thus decided not to get the Kapture Group wide camera.

best regards,
Son

BJNY

I was going to guess the Sinar M, but didn't
because Thierry told me the Nikon mirror module hasn't been available for a while
when I had asked 2-3 months ago.

FYI,
Horseman offered a #3 electronic shutter,
and I've seen others use a Sinar/Copal Mechanical behind the lens shutter for unusual adaptations.

Son, what is the cost of a Sinar M?

I'd like to meet you, too, and will attend PhotoPlus Thursday and/or Saturday.

Last edited: