Site Sponsors

Thread: Zeiss 35mm Lens Meets Sinar Medium Format Sensor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss 35mm Lens Meets Sinar Medium Format Sensor

I always wanted to see some of the most well respected 35mm format lens on CCD sensor without the AA filter. This image was taken with the Sinar back and the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF. The aperture was at F5.6. The first image represents the whole image. The second image is a 100% crop factor to allow full resolution scale view. No sharpening was applied to both images. You are welcome to sharpen the image to your taste. About couple of weeks from now I will show RobSteve the Leica Apo Summicron-R 2.0/180 ROM. This is the lens he always wanted to know how really big the image circle of the lens. Here you can judge for yourself the size of the image circle that the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF can handle. The digital sensor size is 49 x 36.7 mm.

Last edited by PSon; 19th October 2008 at 00:45.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Zeiss 35mm Lens Meets Sinar Medium Format Sensor

Good grief! You can see the printer's 4-color dot arrays on the label! Now you can really see the resolving power of this lens!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

impressive this is! but please keep in mind that the imagecircle gets larger with higher magnifications.

how did you mount the lens to the back?

thsinar

hi Son,

it is astonishing! It looks like it was taken in multishot mode: can you confirm this?

Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    This image was taken with the Sinar back and the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice resolution. Did Thierry guess it right? Which Sinar back was it?

Post Thanks / Like

Son
    what was the setup?
    I am particularly interested in ways that Leica lenses can be mated to digital backs, maybe with an adapter for the alpa.

If someone could get an adpter from a schneider alpa mount that allows for mounting R lenses, that would be HUGE!

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    hi Son,

it is astonishing! It looks like it was taken in multishot mode: can you confirm this?
    My guess is the Zeiss lens was mounted in a Copal #3 shutter as shown in Kapture Group's TrueWide solution, which makes it challenging to do multi-shot with having the re-cock the shutter?

What would be even more interesting to test is the range of Digaron S&T lenses mentioned by Jordan, if in fact these are the same optical formulas as the new HR Digaron-W 40mm f/4 and the acclaimed Rodenstock Apo Macro Sironar Digital.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

A dream would be if Son were successful in putting Nikon & Leica mounts onto a Rollei Electronic Shutter #1

thsinar

... or on "B" and dark studio and in "Slave" mode?

Captureshop "fires" then automatically 4 (or 16) times.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    My guess is the Zeiss lens was mounted in a Copal #3 shutter as shown in Kapture Group's TrueWide solution, which makes it challenging to do multi-shot with having the re-cock the shutter?

Billy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    impressive this is! but please keep in mind that the imagecircle gets larger with higher magnifications.

how did you mount the lens to the back?
    Felipe,
    Yes I am aware that the closer the lens to the subject, the bigger the image circle. Every lens is considered unique for its special niche. Here the Zeiss Apo Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100 ZF is normally a portrait or macro lens. Thus, the preliminary test of this lens is within the distance that make this lens unique. The distance is about portrait length in the images posted. I will attempt to get some portrait in this distance later on today and share here. I also would consider testing the lens at closer up. I still need to acquire more tool to get a complete test and thus as mentioned this is the preliminary test only.

I use adapter to mount the lens.

Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    hi Son,

Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry
    hi Thierry,
    Yes you are correct! It is a 16 shots. I am very fortunate to be able to own the Sinar multi-shots back. Since testing lens with high resolving power, the limiting factor could be due to the low resolution digital back. Here the 9 micron sensor become a 4.5 micron pixel size and no interpolation is needed for colors and thus avoiding mosiac patterns during processing. Up to date the Sinar digital back that I am using is still the gold standard.

Best Regards,
    -Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Very nice resolution. Did Thierry guess it right? Which Sinar back was it?
    hi Graham,
    Thierry is on the ball as usual. I am also planing to use this on the Sinar m camera with the Nikon module.

Best Regards,
    -Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Son
    what was the setup?
    I am particularly interested in ways that Leica lenses can be mated to digital backs, maybe with an adapter for the alpa.

If someone could get an adpter from a schneider alpa mount that allows for mounting R lenses, that would be HUGE!

regards
    Victor
    Victor,
    Just let me know which Leica lens you like to try out and I will test them for you.

Best Regards,
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A dream would be if Son were successful in putting Nikon & Leica mounts onto a Rollei Electronic Shutter #1
    Billy,
    You are thinking what I am thinking as well. I do have the Rollei Electronic Shutter No. 0. But this task is going to be difficult for us since the opening is quite small. Thus, I decided to turn to the world leader in flexibility, Sinar, and got the Sinar m electronic shutter. This way it makes thing a lot easier to shoot many different optics that I like. I will post more on the Sinar m camera in a couple of week after Photo Expo in new york. I am going to the show btw and would love to meet you all there.

best regards,
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What would be even more interesting to test is the range of Digaron S&T lenses mentioned by Jordan, if in fact these are the same optical formulas as the new HR Digaron-W 40mm f/4 and the acclaimed Rodenstock Apo Macro Sironar Digital.

Billy
    Billy,
    You nailed it here. The electronic shutter is a great option for multi-shot back. The copal shutter just does not do it for me and thus decided not to get the Kapture Group wide camera.

best regards,
    Son

Post Thanks / Like

Victor,
    Just let me know which Leica lens you like to try out and I will test them for you.

Best Regards,
    Son
    I don't want a test;

I WANT THE ADAPTER!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to guess the Sinar M, but didn't
    because Thierry told me the Nikon mirror module hasn't been available for a while
    when I had asked 2-3 months ago.

FYI,
    Horseman offered a #3 electronic shutter,
    and I've seen others use a Sinar/Copal Mechanical behind the lens shutter for unusual adaptations.

Son, what is the cost of a Sinar M?

I'd like to meet you, too, and will attend PhotoPlus Thursday and/or Saturday.
    Last edited by BJNY; 19th October 2008 at 08:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Billy,
    You are thinking what I am thinking as well. I do have the Rollei Electronic Shutter No. 0. But this task is going to be difficult for us since the opening is quite small.
    Opening in Shutter No. 1 is bigger, but enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    I don't want a test;

I WANT THE ADAPTER!

Victor
    Victor,
    I may consider making the Leica adapter for you. Just tell me which camera you like and I will see if I can do it for you.

best regards,
    Son

Post Thanks / Like

Victor,
    I may consider making the Leica adapter for you. Just tell me which camera you like and I will see if I can do it for you.

best regards,
    Son
    I'd be curious about this, too, Son.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was going to guess the Sinar M, but didn't
    because Thierry told me the Nikon mirror module isn't available anymore.

FYI,
    Horseman offered a #3 electronic shutter,
    and I've seen others use a Sinar Copal Mechanical behind the lens shutter for unusual adaptations.

Son, what is the cost of a Sinar M?

I'd like to meet you, too, and will attend PhotoPlus Thursday and/or Saturday.
    hi Billy,
    I will PM you my cell phone so you can have it for contacting me when I am in NY. I will also be there on Thursday and Saturday. Thursday is going to be extremely tight. The Sinar m has to be put together. The shutter is about $6.8K (demo). I can get you the Nikon mirror module without any problem. I am going to build the Leica module so the DMR is not going to be as important to me anymore.

Best Regards,
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Opening in Shutter No. 1 is bigger, but enough?
    Billy,
    I tried many efforts but with all the time engineering the adapter plate for the Rollei shutter and the result is still not practical. Based on my experiences the Sinar m system is a multi cameras system for me. The beautiful thing about Sinar system is that it is so integrated. The initial cost may looks expensive but the long term really works out well for me. All my Sinar gears are compatible with each other. Another example, the Sinar products including the digital back holds their value very well in the market since it can take almost any system you ant it to take via the adapter. Furthermore, the precision of Sinar adapter is simple the best I have used. I am requesting the Rollei mirror module as well for my Rollei 2.0/110 PQ and 4.5/55 PCS to work on the Sinar m camera. I also like the Hy6 system as well but the Rollei mirror module will give me the final connection of my system.

Best Regards,
    Son
    Last edited by PSon; 19th October 2008 at 09:09.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even know the existence of a Rollei mirror module

Can the rear of the "M" accept a Hy6 digital back (with revolving capability),
    or maybe even a Leaf AFi-II 10?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't even know the existence of a Rollei mirror module

Can the rear of the "M" accept a Hy6 digital back (with revolving capability),
    or maybe even a Leaf AFi-II 10?
    hi Billy,
    The Rollei Mirror module was on the plan but we do not know if it is completed or aborted. In any case, I will ask Sinar if it is completed, in working progress or aborted. I will ask if they can make it though if they stop in the middle of the project.

Since the Sinar m camera is a 645 camera it is not necessary to make the rotating adapter interphase for the digital back. Yes there are adapters for a Sinar m camera. I have the Sinar 54H adapter and in the process of getting the 75LV adapter. The new Leaf AFi-II 10 is in limbo right now as to adapter. We will see more about this digital back in Sinar brand. The good news for Rollei optics shooters is that the new Leaf AFi-II 10 does have an adapter for the Rollei X-Act2 system, which is also a wonderful system.

Best Regards,
    Son

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be wonderful
    if the front portion of the arTec with its [tilt] movement capability
    would fit onto the "M".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very interesting Son.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One question for Son and anyone who knows :
    Is there a ring to fix Leica R lenses on Nikon bodies ?

Thanks for the reply