The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thinking of getting one as I shoot for many hours in vertical mode with monopod and long lens and a Vertical grip would be of great help. Not crazy about the price of this thing but wondering how it feels in hand and how long you can run on it. Been waiting for a knock off brand but yet to see anything yet.

danielmoore

I'm thinking 90° angle bracket with toilet paper tube wrapped in day-glo orange duct tape and turkey baster actuator myself rather than fork over the historically absurd figure they're asking.

D&A

Hi Guy,

Of course the feel of a any model grip is very subjective but the consensus I've gathered so far, is this one is somewhat less comfortable than previous ones for the D700 and D300s. I tried one out briefly in a shop and found it was just "all right", not quite as comfortable as previous models. Everyone's hands are different so hard to say how you would feel, especially after extended hand held use. On a monopod, it might be different.

I too was taken back at Nikon's pricing for this one. Seems this time around they were going after the marketing model of get you in the door with a astonishing price point for the body but rake one over the coals with every little accessory. What has made it worse with this grip as compared to previous ones, is that when shooting in full frame mode, the grip with any battery installed (another D800 battery, AA or D4) will not increase FPS, only # of shots. Only when shooting APS, will it increase the FPS from 4 to 6 (FPS)....making it less versatile than previous model grips. So more money this time around gets you less!

I have little doubt that 3rd party grips for this camera will eventually becomes available. I'm sure Nikon though will warn users of the D800, that by going this route, the D800 will either explode into a 100 little pieces upon its use or resolution will be reduced to 6MP and all lenses will have soft corners/edges with an overabundance of CA...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have this grip and went with the EL 18 battery from the D4 . Requires an adapter I think its BL 15 but I may have the number wrong . I found the camera alone too short and my little finger would go under the body when I gripped it tightly .

This grip isn t as integrated as having a Pro body ..the D4 is much nicer but then the D800E has a unique place with that 36MP sensor ..so I am working with whats available .
Assume on a monopod you will attach with a lens foot . RRS is developing the L bracket which now have slots for the handgrips but now the gear is getting bulky ..hard to find a happy medium.

I am standardizing on the larger battery as I have a D4 but probably would not if the D800 was my standard kit .

Guy Mancuso

Thanks guys . Yes Roger I will be on monopod with a 200mm F2 lens. Given that mostly it will be with a 200mm with the tripod collar not so sure the L bracket will work for me so much except for maybe the 85 1.4. I also did repurchase the Arca Z1 DP head which is awesome for 35mm work. So it has the flip over which don't bug me so much. I agree the darn L brackets do make things bulky.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
When I preordered my D800, I made sure I ordered the MB12 grip as well as I do a great deal of vertical shooting, especially when I shoot the bodybuilding competitions, and my sporting events. Without the grip, the camera is too uncofortable for me to hold and shoot in the vertical position for too long, and with my larger hands, the camera feels a bit small to me. I am too used to shooting with the D3s.

I just wish my D800 would come already. 8 weeks and counting.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Guy. You decided on the 200 F2? It is an awesome lens and I absolutely love it. It is extremely sharp and very fast. I actually like the L bracket and the rotational capabilities of the lens so I can go from Horizontal to Vertical very quickly.

Guy Mancuso

Comes this morning. I so excited I could not sleep. I love these long fast lenses.

What I'm going to do tommorow is head down to Tempe camera with the D800 and 200 and hopeful I can hook up a battery grip and see how it fits me. Oh and I may need a small bag for the 200 maybe. Retro 5 . That would give me a 5,10 and 30. I'm a little low on bag stock. LOL

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Tried it at camera store. It's kind of wide for my hands. Just did not have that feel. It's like the V grip for the Phase DF must have used the same hand model to design it. We need like memory mattress pad type of grip. That would be interesting.

D&A

As I stated in my 1st postin this thread, I believe the optional boost when using the grip, from 4 FPS to 6, only is available when setting and shooting the camera in APS mode not full frame (unless I am mistaken). Additionally, this was the 1st Nikon DSLR grip that for me was just OK ergonomically, not excellent. It's subjective in this regard,nso opinions will vary widely.

Dave (D&A)

donaldt

I also think it is very subjective on how one feels
in fact I think it feels better than the one on the D700
but of course the D3/D4 would feel the best

if vertical shooting is important for you then get one
if you are after the fast fps the D800 was wrong to begin with anyway

I got mine, and remember to get the battery as well, it feels unbalanced without one in the grip

Hi Guy,

Of course the feel of a any model grip is very subjective but the consensus I've gathered so far, is this one is somewhat less comfortable than previous ones for the D700 and D300s. I tried one out briefly in a shop and found it was just "all right", not quite as comfortable as previous models. Everyone's hands are different so hard to say how you would feel, especially after extended hand held use. On a monopod, it might be different.

I too was taken back at Nikon's pricing for this one. Seems this time around they were going after the marketing model of get you in the door with a astonishing price point for the body but rake one over the coals with every little accessory. What has made it worse with this grip as compared to previous ones, is that when shooting in full frame mode, the grip with any battery installed (another D800 battery, AA or D4) will not increase FPS, only # of shots. Only when shooting APS, will it increase the FPS from 4 to 6 (FPS)....making it less versatile than previous model grips. So more money this time around gets you less!

I have little doubt that 3rd party grips for this camera will eventually becomes available. I'm sure Nikon though will warn users of the D800, that by going this route, the D800 will either explode into a 100 little pieces upon its use or resolution will be reduced to 6MP and all lenses will have soft corners/edges with an overabundance of CA...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If I remember correctly, it even has a slot so you can wear it on your belt..... Cant remember.
The only problem with that is that you'll be dragging your pants down and looking gangsta with your boxers and crack showing. This isn't a look I'd want to see for Guy :D

Guy Mancuso

No that would be slightly ugly. Out on gig and really feeling naked without a backup . It just ain't right so ran and bought a D7000 at least until I can score a D600 or 800. I feel better now . Never done that before. Shooting the 200 is a dream but I'm getting sore on vertical . I have arthritis in my hands and I may just have to get the grip.

D&A

The only problem with that is that you'll be dragging your pants down and looking gangsta with your boxers and crack showing. This isn't a look I'd want to see for Guy :D
+1 Great post!!! Love the visual of a 200 f2 hanging off a pants loop...somehow I can't wrap my head around this concept and here I've owned the darn lens. Priceless! :)

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Glad I have Graham looking out for my best interest here. Thanks bud

SO I'm on a break so give you a rundown how cool this Nikon stuff is. Frankly first off the 200 is killer and focus is lighting fast the VR is amazing . Now I'm using monopod and 200 in a ballroom with stage lights . Typical 500 seat corporate meeting . We all been here. Lol so I'm shooting at ISO 1600 at about 1/160 at f3.2 for the stage which is lit more than the audience which is like 3 stops darker. So when I turn to the audience I switch in the SB 910 flash in TTL with the tungsten filter supplied( genius on Nikon here) . So I leave my settings the same swing cam turn of lash aimed at ceiling and I can pick just about anyone brave enough to stand up and ask a question. I've been doing this for more damn years than I can count and it's NEVER been this easy to shoot. Even when I was doing a couple awards at stage I flipped the strobe on and it balances out so nicely. This is great stuff. I'm not killing myself switching settings like crazy. I'm impressed. I did BTW have one lock up which was visions of my DF, release battery and pop back in. This has happened twice since I had it.
This quickly prompted me to run to Tempe camera and buy a D7000 it's set up and in bag. Lol

Honestly this is the first time I shot without a backup and I did not like that feeling early this morning. Well I fixed that . Lol

Guy Mancuso

Oh I did have a question on VR and monopod I should be on normal correct. Fromwhat I understand off for tripod normal for mono and active for me in motion.