The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 28mm F1.8 anyone? (samples link)

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have one of these on order since it looks like it might fit my need for a light, fast wide and because now I have a good (famous last words?) 24mm PC-E I don't need another 24.

Here's a link to an interesting set of samples, full size downloadable. The photographer Thomas Rubach has taken some care to make a useful set of images. I find it pretty good, reasonably sharp even at wider apertures to the edges, a lot of vignetting though. However, even at F5.6 there is an odd zone of less sharpness on the left hand third that is not replicated on the right. Take a look at any of the mid aperture shots but especially the F5.6 landscape.

Anyone got a view? Anyone tried one? Could be a useful piece of glass....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasrubach/sets/72157629798639922/with/7235293042/

S

Shelby Lewis

I didn't even know this existed... please let us know if it's good. I'm looking for a fairly wide, but fast lens for photojournalistic work. Even though I prefer 35mm, given the price I may give the 28/1.8 a try if it works well.

Anyone else tried it?

S

Shelby Lewis

I looked at the flickr images... seems the top-left corner suffers on this sample more than the other corners in the mid-distance version (castle), but overall it looks quite nice. I think I'm going to order this lens...

bensonga

Thanks for the link....I'll have a closer look at the images this evening.

I got a note from my local shop today saying the D800E I ordered will be here tomorrow and they had just received a few of the 28mm f1.8G lenses.....so I asked them to set one aside for me to check out when I pick up the camera.

Gary

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G

When I recently posted my D800 test shots with RAW files some members complained that they couldn't judge the image quality with such boring static test subjects that didn't fit their creative vision or artistic mind.
So this time I thought I had to come up with something a tad more entertaining.
After the yearly carnival parade (which I did not see) there were still some dance-and-drinks-and-drugs activities left in the streets. Not much, but still a bit.

First a couple at f/8 - as I often struggle to get the necessary DOF with the D800 as Roger Dunham (glenerrolrd) has pointed out in another thread.
Thank you for starting that interesting discussion, Roger.
So far my findings seem to coincide with what Roger has said about DOF and D800, though it could also partly be me coming from APS-C lately.

If you'd like to do the RAW conversion to your own taste you can download the RAW files here, but please keep any posted result here on the GetDPI forum.

Link to the RAW file 80A_1500_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

click for native size (6.8 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Link to the RAW file 80A_1502_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

click for native size (6.4 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/350 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

And here a couple at f/5.6

Link to the RAW file 80A_0998_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

click for native size (11.1 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/180 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Link to the RAW file 80A_1000_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

click for native size (7.6 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/180 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

More to come as time allows ... :)

bensonga

Thanks for posting these Steen.....they look very good.

I bought this lens today to complete my lens kit for the D800E.....the 28, 50 and 85 1.8G lenses plus the 105/2.8G VR micro-Nikkor will all fit comfortably in my camera bag. I've decided to leave the 24-120/4G lens on my D700.

Gary

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

You are welcome, Gary, and congrats on your sample of the 28mm G.

Looking forward to hear what you think - or to see what you get from it.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G - bokeh

With regards to bokeh​

@ f/2.8

this woman defines 'tolerant wife' :rolleyes:

link to the RAW file 80A_0955_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

click for native size (6.4 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/500 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

With this background the bokeh looks rather confused

link to the RAW file 80A_0953_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/2000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

@ f/5.6

link to the RAW file 80A_1017_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/45 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Link to the RAW file 80A_1019_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/45 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

D&A

Steen, thanks ever so much for posting these images with the new 28mm. From what I see on these and other web-sized images posted, the lens looks promising but doesn't always appear to that the "presence" or the dynamic impact that some of the other fast Nikon wide angle single focal length lenses used on the D800 have. It may be nothing more than lighting or subject matter....its hard to say at this early stage or to even put my finger on it. I guess as more images are produced with this lens, a consensus will form. Food though looks good :) What are those squiggly things in the last pic...some form of potatoes being prepared for frying? :)

Dave (D&A)

I personally prefer to use AF 35mm f/2 as a snap shot lens because the angle of view is quite similar to human. And.... of course, the 28mm f/1.8G is much much expensive ...

Mozbee

Dave (D&A),
If you look at the women's polo shirt(few pictures higher), you can see "Churros" written on it. That's a spanish pastry. They usually serve them with pourring sugar (powder?) on them or similar alternatives. You can see the jars on the counter for that. I tried that few years ago at a public market; worth the try! :)

V

Vivek

Churros: Deep fried stuff served with chocolate syrup and/or powder sugar. One of the things that the Portugese picked up from the far east (the chocolate syrup is from Mexico. Powder sugar instead of the sugar glazing which is more difficult. The original version is crunchy and with lightly glazed sugar.). It is one of the earliest "fusion foods" along with pancakes and funnel cakes.

It has become a standard (exotic) snack in all of European fares now.

D&A

Churros: Deep fried stuff served with chocolate syrup and/or powder sugar. One of the things that the Portugese picked up from the far east (the chocolate syrup is from Mexico. Powder sugar instead of the sugar glazing which is more difficult. The original version is crunchy and with lightly glazed sugar.). It is one of the earliest "fusion foods" along with pancakes and funnel cakes.

It has become a standard (exotic) snack in all of European fares now.
Thanks Mozbee and Vivek! I am familiar with Churros....but the ones I always see look somewhat different. Here they are often much shorter...same pattern on the sides, but more like 6-8" straight sticks, not long and curved as shown in your images. Thats why I didn't recognize them. They are seen in most of the Mexican chain restaurants here and/or in all sorts of county and State fairs....as you say, along with funnel cakes, corn dogs (not my favorite), pizza etc. Not sure I've seen them with syrup or glaze or chcolate but can see where that would be popular...dusted with powered sugar of course. I'm amazed at all the food concoctions people come up with at these fairs...talk about fusion foods :)

There is usually a big sign at the counter when you order them..."Warning, do not handle your D800 while eating Churros"...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon 28mm f/1.8 - wide open

Wide open​

@ f/1.8

link to the RAW file 80A_1021_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

click for native sizes

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/180 sec. at f/1.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

link to the RAW file 80A_1026_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/2000 sec. at f/1.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon 28mm f/1.8 - Field Curvature

Field Curvature​

There seems to be some significant Field Curvature (which can help or hurt, depending on the subject matter)

link to the RAW file 80A_0966_AFS_28mm_G.NEF

click for native size (7 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/180 sec. at f/4 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

Thorkil

Re: Nikon 28mm f/1.8 - wide open

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/180 sec. at f/1.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1[/SIZE][/COLOR][/center]
Hej naesten synd du ramte spanskroersteksten bagved og ikke hendes soede ansigt (allmost a shame you didn't hit her sweat face instead of the text behind),
Thorkil
men ellers dejlige billeder ! (but apart from that lovely pictures!)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Yeah, while waiting for the self timer and shutter delay seconds to pass the subject moved, which of course ruined the image as such.

But it's not all that important for our purpose here as the picture still illustrates the wide open characteristics, i.e. sharpness in the plane of focus and out of focus rendering.

Just initial test shots.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon 28mm f/1.8 - children

there were children

click for native sizes

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/500 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/180 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/350 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

Thorkil

:), Yes, but perhaps 1/180 should be enought without shutterdelay and all that. And the shutterdelay should be sufficient while the mirror starts jumping up? (it was just a thought of that lovely, mild and gentle face of her, one wished to take a closer look at..)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon 28mm f/1.8 - and adults

and there were adults (more or less)

click for a bit larger sizes

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/350 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • C1 Pro 6.4

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/350 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • C1 Pro 6.4

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/1000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • C1 Pro 6.4

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/1000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • C1 Pro 6.4

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/500 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • C1 Pro 6.4