The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E MUP & Shutter Delay/timer

jagsiva

Another newbie question. Is there anyway to use MUP with the built-in self-timer? Fiddled around for about an hour and cannot seem to figure it out. Trying to do this without the remote release timer.

Thanks...

Shashin

Doesn't the mirror lift at the beginning of the self-timer period? Why would you need to lift the mirror manually?

jagsiva

Nope, the timer is just that...a delay before shutter release which includes the mirror up/down.

I am looking for either shutter button release --> Mirror up --> delay -->shutter release or shutter button release --> mirror up --> shutter button release again --> delay --> shutter release

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nope, the timer is just that...a delay before shutter release which includes the mirror up/down.

I am looking for either shutter button release --> Mirror up --> delay -->shutter release or shutter button release --> mirror up --> shutter button release again --> delay --> shutter release
I think the MC-36 is the best way to ensure vibration free mirror up pics.

Bob

Stefan Steib

The camera can do this - In had used this on the test samples I supplied. It´s a bit buried in the menue, but when you set it to the delay, this is what happens: mirror goes up, delay, shutter releases, mirror goes down.
There may be an additional switch for Mirror up, but it definitely is possible.
And _ hint: this is not the self timer !

regards
Stefan

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
The D800 automatically raises the mirror when you use a delay, so no need to switch to MUP mode. Very practical.

For a remote I can absolutely recommend the Vello Wireless Shutterboss. A tad big, and has the most stupid name ever invented, but it's an excellent remote that's super nice to use with a backlit screen. Works with just about any non-exotic camera as well, you just need a $7 (IIRC) cable. Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote RCW-N1 B&H Photo Video

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Stefan and Jan are right, here's just a bit more detailed explanation.

When working on a tripod with fixed subjects you can combine the Exposure delay, d4 in the Custom Setting Menu, with setting the Release Mode dial (top left) on Self-timer (and having the Self-timer delay, c3 in the Custom Setting Menu, set at e.g. 2 or 5 seconds).

It gives the tripod time to stabilize after you touch the shutter, and you avoid shake from the mirror slap.

I have d4 and c3 in MY MENU, that makes it very easy to turn on and off or change the delay.

jagsiva

Stefan and Jan are right, here's just a bit more detailed explanation.

It gives the tripod time to stabilize after you touch the shutter, and you avoid shake from the mirror slap.

I have d4 and c3 in MY MENU, that makes it very easy to turn on and off or change the delay.
Ah, thanks so much. I figured it would be somewhere :) Cheers...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh, I should warn you too - make sure to turn VR off with the shutter delay. Even if it works fine on a tripod or other support the VR timer is 2-3 seconds. The VR engages when you hit the shutter and raise the mirror. Then it disengages right when the shutter opens, resulting in massive blur.

If you use the delay and see unexplainable blur, you probably left VR on.

(Actually I saw this on the D7k, haven't checked the D800... maybe it works better.)