Site Sponsors

Thread: Pentax 645 lens mount to Nikon converter/adapter?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Pentax 645 lens mount to Nikon converter/adapter?

Hi All,

Sort of taking a line from Tim's post regarding a lens adapter to Mamiya mount lenses to a Nikon DSLR....I'm looking for a adapter that allows mounting of Pentax 645 lenses to a Nikon DSLR.

There are quite of few aftermarket ones, but many don't allow stopping down the aperture of the Pentax 645 lens once mounted on the Nikon body since there is no actuation level in the adapter to do this. I'm looking for a well constructed one and also one that has the actuation lever so I can use the Pentax 645 lens at any chosen aperture. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 28th May 2012 at 07:52.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax 645 lens mount to Nikon converter/adapter?

They are not made (to my knowledge) with a seperate actuation lever, rather they simply link the aperture and stop down levers on the lens so that the aperture ring works as normal.

I have a couple of these for EF, but I bought them a long time ago and don't recall the make.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    They are not made (to my knowledge) with a seperate actuation lever, rather they simply link the aperture and stop down levers on the lens so that the aperture ring works as normal.

I have a couple of these for EF, but I bought them a long time ago and don't recall the make.
    Thanks very much for your reply! When I said have an actuator lever, I meant the adpater makes contact with the lens aperture linkage at the back of the lens, which allows one to stop down the Pentax 645 lens to any aperture (exactly as you described). Some adapters are able to do this, some cannot and the lens must be shot wide open. I'm looking for the name of the ones that have this feature (ability).

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave...
    Here is one, but it is not too clear how it works. It sounds lke you stop down the lens, say to f11, then aim and shoot (dark view) .
    Fotodiox Professional Photography Supplies and Equipment
    Best.....
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies if I'm missing something, but I still don't understand the question. Pentax 645 A and FA lenses, like Pentax film-era 35mm format lenses, have aperture rings. If you mount one on an adapter that doesn't have an aperture lever coupling, the aperture should function fully manually and you should be able to stop it down just by turning the aperture ring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With 645 lenses you preset the aperture, but the lens stays open until the lever forces it to close, exactly the contrary of, say, nikon lenses.
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    With 645 lenses you preset the aperture, but the lens stays open until the lever forces it to close, exactly the contrary of, say, nikon lenses.
    OK, got it. The opposite of the Pentax 35mm-format lenses too, then. Thanks for the correction.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    Sergio
    Hi All,

I appreciate all the responses so far but not sure if I am any closer to a solution.

Dave, I'm not sure how the adapter you linked to, works either. From the look of it I don't believe it interacts with the rear aperture stopped down lever and thus the lens always remains wide open, regardless what the aperture ring is set to. I think there was a post somewheres made years ago sliding to the issue with this particular adapter...but it's worthy trying to contact them and I thank you for both the link and suggestion.

Sergio is quite correct and his explanation is the reason why using the Pentax 645 lenses with an adapter, is so important that the adapter allows the lens to be stopped down to shooting aperture by automatically pushing on the rear aperture lever while the lens is attached to the adapter.

It is just the opposite of how Pentax 35mm lenses work when not attached to a camera body.

There is one brand I know of that definitely works, but can cost when new almost 3-4x the price when found used and all I know is that it isn't the only brand that will work in the way I described. So for now, the search goes on for a definite answer. Thanks again everyone!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I have the PT645 Nikon adapter. Is well constructed found sometimes in Ebay from Shamghai, China. Right now is not listed but used to be:
    Pentax 645 PT645 PT 645 lens Adapter to Nikon AI D70S | eBay
    OR:
    Adapter Ring PT645 - AI

It has a lever that allows diaphragm. I'm very happy with it. Also the 645 lenses are superb. I have the 35A, 45-85FA, 120 Macro and 1.4 Ext.
    You find some distortion which is thoroughly corrected in ACR.
    Good luck.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Hello, I have the PT645 Nikon adapter. Is well constructed found sometimes in Ebay from Shamghai, China. Right now is not listed but used to be:
    Pentax 645 PT645 PT 645 lens Adapter to Nikon AI D70S | eBay
    OR:
    Adapter Ring PT645 - AI

It has a lever that allows diaphragm. I'm very happy with it. Also the 645 lenses are superb. I have the 35A, 45-85FA, 120 Macro and 1.4 Ext.
    You find some distortion which is thoroughly corrected in ACR.
    Good luck.
    Hi Antonio,

Thanks very much for the info. From what I see, on one listing he is all sold out of it...but when I search another way, it looks like it is still available with 3 of 10 sold! I don't know which is accurate and if it is available or not. There are others that don't have any screws on the lens mount and this would have me worried. At least I can see the aperture lever inside the adapter they show. It looks like the same adapter that Dave suggested from Fotodiox, but the lever cannot be seen with the Fotodiox one. Why some adapters would not have the aperture lever allowing the lens diaphram to stop down I cannot understand. Anyhow, I'm hoping to find the exact one Antonio recoomended,. Good to hear the Penatx 645 lenses perform well on Nikon DSLR's. Many medium format lenses due to resolution differences and designed for a larger area (and therefore don't need as much resolution as their 35mm counterparts), don't often perform all that well when mounted on 35mm format. Again many thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed Photodiox with a link to this thread to allow them to comment. Hope this is within the bounds of the forum (i have no ties to them), but I am very interested in a proper adapter.
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I emailed Photodiox with a link to this thread to allow them to comment. Hope this is within the bounds of the forum (i have no ties to them), but I am very interested in a proper adapter.
    Dave in NJ
    Dave you beat me too it and as always you're one (sometimes two) steps ahead of me Thanks for doing this and looking forward to their response. I can see where this adapter might be extremely useful for those that shoot with Pentax 645 lenses and Nikon SLR bodies.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave (D&A): I am especially anxious to try my 120mm A macro, and 300mm A with dedicated 1.4X on the D800E (when it arrives).
    Best....
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Some test done with the 120mm macro +1.4 Ext.

Center.

Post Thanks / Like

Antonio: WOW! Looks promising.
    Thanks
    Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave (D&A): I am especially anxious to try my 120mm A macro, and 300mm A with dedicated 1.4X on the D800E (when it arrives).
    Best....
    Dave
    Dave, looking forward to doing similar things to with the 645 lenses on the D800. Lets hope you get a answer soon regarding the adapter. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some test done with the 120mm macro +1.4 Ext.

Center.
    Antonio,

Only "X's" are showing up instead of your images. Looking forward to seeing them. Many of th images on your website are extremely impressive!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave & All,

I just came across a webpage showing the Fotodiox 645 Lens to Nikon adapter and a single review was posted. The poster said although the adapter appeared to be well constructed, the issue with this adapter was that it didn't allow for the 645 lens to be stopped down...just as we discussed. He said the Rainbow brand adapter did allow stopping down the 645 lens but that adapter wasn't quite as well constructed as the Fotodiox. Of course maybe the Fotodiox adapter has been upgraded by now (after that reviewer posted their comments) in allowing allow 645 lenses to be stopped down. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the precise answer is at this point.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 30th May 2012 at 05:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave well this is not an artistic image, just a quick example of lens detail. When I get some spare time I will do some ok comparisions. ACH

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave well this is not an artistic image, just a quick example of lens detail. When I get some spare time I will do some ok comparisions. ACH
    Antonio, now your images are showing up! With the 1.4x on the 120 f4, they look very promising and they clearly show this. Thanks!. I am currently testing the 1.4x on the Fa 300 f4, FA 400 f5.6 and A* 600 f5.6. Once thing I noticed in my preliminary testing, is the 1.4x does lower the original contrast of the image when used on one of the telephoto lenses I mentioned.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I did the same image with and without. Aside from being a 1 stop darker with the 1.4 I did not notice any real differences in contrast or detail. I think this combination, although not recommended by Pentax, work fantastically well.

ACH

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I did the same image with and without. Aside from being a 1 stop darker with the 1.4 I did not notice any real differences in contrast or detail. I think this combination, although not recommended by Pentax, work fantastically well.

ACH
    It appears to have worked very well! The loss of contrast I have noticed with the 1.4x was with their use on the longer telephoto's....but of course it depends on the lighting.

I haven't yet tried it (the 1.4x) on the 120mm f4 macro yet.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave: Here is the Rainbowimaging adapter. I put an arrow pointing to what "looks like" the lever to close down the diaphragm. Looking at the back of one of my 645 lenses, and where the lens lever is, this adapter lever looks to be in the correct location to do what we want. For 40 bucks, I may just take a chance on it. I have a half dozen of their various adapters for my NEX 7 and the quality/workmanship are "OK" but they all work and focus to infinity.
    Good luck
    Dave
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the info. I believe thats the one and it does appear to have the lever that enables stopping down of the Pentax 645 lens. I just ordered one, so we'll see how it works. Interestingly, on the Rainbowimaging website, it says a feature of this adapter is that it has a built in tripod mount....LOL! I truly doubt that and think it was simply an error. Dave are you going to order one too? Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

right now!!!
    Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

right now!!!
    Dave
    Fantastic....we'll know in a few days how it is. Can you believe I ordered it late last night (Friday I believe) and in the morning on Saturday already received notice it's in the mail and on it's way, with a tracking #! That's what I call service . I wonder if I'll receive the one with the built in tripod mount they mentioned....if so, can I hang the 600 f5.6 off of it...LOL!

Dave again and appreciate the heads up. They don't appear to list this particular adapter on eBay anymore, so I would not have found it, if not for your mentioning it where it was though on their website.

Dave (D&A).

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome Dave (D&A). As I mentioned I have some of their adapters,,,some have tripod mounts, and some do not, very inconsistent, and not always obvious from their web site. I agree, I have always been notified next day shipping priority mail. Great Service. They also have some VERY inexpensive "knock offs" of quick release plates (the long telephoto variety).
    I ordered mine today (Saturday), it will probably ship Tuesday (Monday would not surprise me)
    Best
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Well I see you guys posting some great images pretty soon.
    Can't wait to see them. Enjoy.
    ACH

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome Dave (D&A). As I mentioned I have some of their adapters,,,some have tripod mounts, and some do not, very inconsistent, and not always obvious from their web site. I agree, I have always been notified next day shipping priority mail. Great Service. They also have some VERY inexpensive "knock offs" of quick release plates (the long telephoto variety).
    I ordered mine today (Saturday), it will probably ship Tuesday (Monday would not surprise me)
    Best
    Dave
    Dave, When I mentioned that they had noted that this particular adapter had a tripod mount, I simply thought it was typo since it sounded almost rediculous. Unless I'm miss-understanding something, how can a barely 1"-1.5" diameter adapter (or thereabouts) have a built in tripod mount.....unlees it's simply a screw threaded hole? I must be missing something in terms of trying to get a visual of this.

Regardless of tripod mount or not, looking forward to receiving it. Thanks again Dave!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave: I have a half dozen "Brand X" adapters for my NEX 7. Here is a typical one: This one is for M42 to NEX. You can see what the tripod mount looks like. It REALLY is a plus for longer lenses. If the ones we ordered, do, in fact have this feature, so much the better. Here is a snapshot:

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason the file did not upload. Try again.
    Dave
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason the file did not upload. Try again.
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the image. I can see how that particular tripod mount might be useful or OK with small, light cameras and lenses...but not sure I would trust it with a 645 lens hanging off of it. Guess I have to see one first hand to make an assessment. The description on their website does indicate though it has the tripod mount. We'll know soon enough.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave & All,

I just received my RainbowImaging Pentax 645 to Nikon converter. It was ordered late Friday night, shipped early Sat morning and arrived today (Monday). Could not have been any faster service.

The adapter's cosmetics have changed from the image posted on the RainbowImaging website. The shape is different, there is no tripod mount, and those alternating silver & black ribbing or lines on the circumference of the adapter are not there.

In any case, 645 lens mounts very smoothly to the adapter as does the adapter onto the Nikon body. Although a bit small and one has to press a little hard, the button to remove the 645 lens from the adapter works OK. There is the built in lever which allows stopping down the 645 lens aperture properly. It looks like its farily well built, but how long or well it holds up, time will tell.

I was indooors (it was night), so I quickly mounted the Pentax 75mm f2.8 645 lens on the adapter and then all onto the D800E. I focused on a item about 5 feet away. It focused perfectly and in "A" mode, the camera exposed properly to whatever the lens aperture is set to. The resulting shot was phenominal...beyond sharp...simply fantastic! If this is any indicator how saome Pentax 645 lenses are going to perform on the D800...I can't wait to shoot and test them out!

If there are any issues to focusing the 645 lens to infinity, I'll know more when I test during the daytime on a subject at great distance. I just hope the weight of a heavier Pentax 645 lens isn't too much for the adapter.

Dave, let me know when you get yours and how you like it. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

GeorgeBarr

My Photodiox pentax 645 to nikon adapter arrived yesterday and it has the identical lever, attached to a spring inside, so that the f stops work properly, now to get the 800e upon which to test it. It has the same code on the outside and I suspect is made by the same people.

I'm hoping the 75 and 120 will be up to the task, I suspect the 35 and 200 not but we'll see.

George

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBarr View Post
    My Photodiox pentax 645 to nikon adapter arrived yesterday and it has the identical lever, attached to a spring inside, so that the f stops work properly, now to get the 800e upon which to test it. It has the same code on the outside and I suspect is made by the same people.

I'm hoping the 75 and 120 will be up to the task, I suspect the 35 and 200 not but we'll see.

George
    Great George and thanks for the info. Some seem to be made by same manufacturer, some not. As for performance of Pentax 645 lenses on the D800, keep in mind that basically you"re using the sweet spot of the lens, so often even a medic ore lens might do alright. I was surprised how well the 75mm f2.8 did...beyond my expectations. As for the FA 200, I haven't tried it, but I agree, I"m not expecting a lot from it.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys:
    Diglloyd gives the Pentax 645 200mm A lens high marks, so we shouldn't sell it short yet. He states:
    "Conclusions

Providing you focus it carefully, the Pentax-A 200mm f/4 offers very consistent sharpness across the frame at f/4, reaching optimal performance at f/5.6. Given its compact size, this is definitely a lens worth having for the 645D."

He is a paid site, so I hope I don't make a problem for the direct quote.
    BTW his site is great!!
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you! I assume you received your Rainbowimaging Pentax 645 to Nikon adapter? What do you think (see my comments above.

Early on I read Diglloyd's work with the 645D and lenses (some of the lenses lent to him by others for his assessment). For the most part I agree with much of his assessment but also felt he didn't go into depth with some of his testing as good as he is with methodology (and respect his work).

My experience with many samples of the 200 f4 is that it can be a good lens (depending on sample), but does lack the bite and microcontrast of some of the better Pentax 645 lenses and needs to be stopped down more than some.

So I'm not selling this lens short, but it's also not a standout as others often are (in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave:
    I screwed up, and ordered the wrong adapter! I ordered the 645 to Pentax K adapter by mistake, but the order some how got screwed up. Paypal made the payment, but i have not received the adapter, and my emails have not been answered. Also, when i went to order the correct adapter, they are sold out. The Fotodox adapter is double the price!
    Best regards
    Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave:
    I screwed up, and ordered the wrong adapter! I ordered the 645 to Pentax K adapter by mistake, but the order some how got screwed up. Paypal made the payment, but i have not received the adapter, and my emails have not been answered. Also, when i went to order the correct adapter, they are sold out. The Fotodox adapter is double the price!
    Best regards
    Dave
    I am extremely sorry to hear of your issue. Interestingly, as soon as I ordered my adapter, it showed two remaining in stock. Then when you mentioned you ordered yours, it almost immediately showed one left in stock, so I assumeed your order reduced the # in stock. Guess as it turns out, it was someone elses order. Funny how these remained in stock for quite some time and then as son as it's talked about, they quickly disappeared.

I'm sure they will get more in stock and when you hear from them, let us know the status. Hope it gets worked out soon for you.

Dave (D&A)