The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 tomorrow or wait for E

I admit up front it's a silly question. I've read everything here and elsewhere about the bodies. I planned on an E. Coming from the 14N and M9, I've been convinced about the image quality enhancements with AA filter removed. Now I'm not so sure in this case. So, I'm on several 800E lists, but got a call from a store with an 800 they will hold till tomorrow. Your advise would be appreciated. A few factoids
1. I am not post processing guru. If handling the 800 files so they essentially look like 800E files requires great skill, I'd prefer the E.
2. I may lend the camera to my son who is in a pro band for video. I haven't heard much about the video moire' problems some predicted in the E from real users. but I also haven't been scanning video forums.
3. My primary use will be landscape and event work.

Thanks in advance.....Peter

D&A

Peter, no need for me to repeat all that's been written here about the perceived differences between the two cameras, you've already done that...BUT..... And this is a big "but"...I've been hearing from reliable sources that it's the video portion of the D800E where moire has on occasion reared it's ugly head. When it does, it's obvious and some video shooters, will not touch this model due to this. I do not shoot video so I don't have a dog in this fight (So to speak), but if I knowingly in advance that I was going to shoot video with one of the two D800 varients, on something more than a once a month "just for the fun of it" video, I personally would opt for the regular D800. I not only would not have to deal with video moire (and what that might entail in video editing) but also knowing still image quality would be near identical to the D800E. The differences between the D800 and D800E appear to be much much smaller than say a D700 and a D700 with it's AA filter removed by an aftermarket company.
Just my personal opinion.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

pophoto

I think the difference will only be really seen in very large prints! Correct me if I'm wrong here. However, with some work the D800 files will fly, since the AA filter on it is already very good! I'm speaking from what I have seen, since I don't own the Nikons. Save for the lenses!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Peter, I've been hearing from reliable sources that it's the video portion of the D800E where moire has on occasion reared it's ugly head. When it does, it's obvious and some video shooters, will not touch this model due to this.

Just my personal opinion.

Dave (D&A)
Spot on....

Review the 5DIII D800 D4 video comparison at philipbloom:

Full Frame Shootout: Review of Nikon D800, D4 and Canon 5DmkIII | Philip Bloom

Honestly...get the 800e and use a hacked GH2 for your son.....

Bob

D&A

Peter, my response and recommendation in my post above, was predicated on the fact that your son would be shooting video and no way of knowing how serious a video shoot would be and what use the video would be put to. If not for that fact of postential moire issues regarding video with the D800E, from many accounts, my response otheriwse might be based on different criteria. As hard as removing morie can often be from still images, I hear from video it often is a nightmare...therefore my initial recommendation.

Dave (D&A)

Dave (D&A)

R

richard.L

hmm, I have both ... not for video ... I've seen moire, I've killed moire.

I like the E, but that 3500 would buy several weeks on the road USING a camera. Personally, I'm more a "user" addict, than a pharmacy -- ie, buying and selling.

Learn to love your problems... they be the only thing that is you.

R

ronvanderkolk

2. I may lend the camera to my son who is in a pro band for video. I haven't heard much about the video moire' problems some predicted in the E from real users. but I also haven't been scanning video forums.
When recording video, there is no difference in moiré between the Nikon D800 and D800E, because the video moiré is caused by downsampling and not by the (lack of an) anti-alias filter.

There is this persistent rumor on internet forums that 'Nikon says the D800E is not for video'. So far, I have not seen any proof of an official statement by Nikon implying this. On the contrary: on Nikon's official D800/D800E product page, and specifically the part about video specs, the D800 and D800E are mentioned both every single time as if they were identical. Nikon's tech guru Steve Heiner, senior technical manager at Nikon USA, also states that they are identical for video use when it comes to moiré.

(source: How do I get rid of aliasing and moiré artifacts in video on the Nikon D800/D800E?)