Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Is the 90mm Summicron any good on the D800?
    It probably should be. Read Roger's post about the differences between Leica lenses and Nikon lenses to get an idea of what to expect.

I have also found that Erwin Puts book, even the first edition is a good reference when considering a lens for the D800E. His tests in the days of high definition film are more in line with what to expect with the D800E.

I have a 90mm Summicron-R and if I get a chance I may try it on the D800E, comparing it with the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    It probably should be. Read Roger's post about the differences between Leica lenses and Nikon lenses to get an idea of what to expect.

I have also found that Erwin Puts book, even the first edition is a good reference when considering a lens for the D800E. His tests in the days of high definition film are more in line with what to expect with the D800E.

I have a 90mm Summicron-R and if I get a chance I may try it on the D800E, comparing it with the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G.
    I would like to see that comparison Rob.

I also wonder about those two Nikon lenses the 85 1.8 and the 1.4. I'm a tripod guy and alway work at f8 or f11. Is there much difference..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

(...) I have also found that Erwin Puts book, even the first edition is a good reference when considering a lens for the D800E. (...)

What Rob says

A year ago I posted some illustrations of Puts' Leica Compendium here - just for information for those not familiar with the book (which I find excellent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

elmarit r 28 type 2 (FLE)the best Leica lenses.

This one also converted with leitax adapter.
    A great lens for shure, and working perfectly with the d800.
    Full open, the effect of a moderate field curvature is visible in the extreme corners,, less so at F4.
    At 5,6 and 8 the lens is sharp center to corners, and outresolves the sensor.
    The usual transparency of the best Leica lenses.
    A few test shots. Full size jpg on flikr.

_DSC1404 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC1398 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC1374 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC1399 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Sergio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Antonio.
    To complete, elmarit r 28 bokč(FULL OPEN) and center /corner resolution at 5,6

_DSC1409 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

F5,6center by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

F5,6corner by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

SERGIO

Post Thanks / Like

Sergio

Great examples . You seem to have the R on D800E very well understood . I found a new old stock 28EM which should come today or monday . Waiting on the chips from Leitax to allow me to calibrate my D800E s (using default for Ai-s lenses in the AF adjustment menu) . I have converted the 50 and 80 summiluxes .

Adobe just released lens calibration profiles for most of the R lenses in the new CS and LR releases .

Biggest limitation left for me is the viewing screen . The after market brightscreen and katzeye etc seem to be leaving the D800 out . I am used to focusing on the screen and not recomposing .

Post Thanks / Like

Roger - I struggle with the same focusing / composing / screen challenge on the 800E with any manual focus lens.

For tripod based work I use a simple hotshoe mounted HDMI monitor. I currently use a Sony, but am thinking of upgrading to a SmallHD electronic viewfinder (see smallhd.com). Still need to figure out how that would work with my glasses.

Sorry for the OT reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markhout View Post
    Roger - I struggle with the same focusing / composing / screen challenge on the 800E with any manual focus lens.

For tripod based work I use a simple hotshoe mounted HDMI monitor. I currently use a Sony, but am thinking of upgrading to a SmallHD electronic viewfinder (see smallhd.com). Still need to figure out how that would work with my glasses.

Sorry for the OT reply.
    Focusing is a critical aspects of any solution approximating 40MPs ...can have more impact on sharpness than any differences between lens systems .

For my shooting I am clearly trying to use the wrong system . I enjoy the walking in street photography and for me nothing beats ..the off hours in a city like Paris . I want to be out before dawn and or just before sun down . A tripod is too limiting although I am committed to using one more in 2013.

I enjoy the greater DR ,higher ISO and the ability to capture images in light well below anything I could do with film . LV is of course a miracle for shooting on a tripod and can even be used in some situations to establish decent focus points in low light hand held . But ..I miss using the screen to see whats in focus .

I am sure someone will come up with a good replacement screen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger:

When your 28mm comes, be sure to read Erwin Puts' description of it when pixel peeping. I was obsessing over my copy not being perfect to the edge of the frame, but it actually was performing like Mr. Puts described.

In regards to lens profiles in Lightroom, when did they come out? I downloaded Lightroom 4 last week and I only saw Leica M and S lenses in the profiles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger:

When your 28mm comes, be sure to read Erwin Puts' description of it when pixel peeping. I was obsessing over my copy not being perfect to the edge of the frame, but it actually was performing like Mr. Puts described.

In regards to lens profiles in Lightroom, when did they come out? I downloaded Lightroom 4 last week and I only saw Leica M and S lenses in the profiles.
    Rob,profiles here

Download Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.3 Beta - Adobe Labs

Way to obtain sharpness on full field is to focus on side/corner full open and than stop down to required aperture. (depth of field is greater on the far side)

Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    Rob,profiles here

Download Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.3 Beta - Adobe Labs

Way to obtain sharpness on full field is to focus on side/corner full open and than stop down to required aperture. (depth of field is greater on the far side)

Sergio
    Sergio:

I am on Lightroom 4 and CS5. Are these profiles for Lightroom or Photoshop?

Edit:

It appears they are for the Photoshop end, and not compatible with CS5.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sergio
    Sergio:

I just did a bit of testing and you are correct, except when the lens is at its optimum aperture, which is f5.6. In this case the center is much sharper with more contrast, when focused to infinity. As you top down from f8 to f11, the performance in the center is about equal i focused using the edge of the frame. I did not test f2.8 and f4, nor try to find a compromise focus between the edges sharp and the middle sharp. I jus used Live view on the side of the frame.

This may explain why some Leica lenses do no focus at infinity on digital. Leica probably fine tuned the infinity setting just shy of infinity to factor field curvature and other lens properties into the calibration.

I am off to my young son's basketball game. I will be shooting with the 50 and 85mm Nikon G lenses, but I also converted my 180mm f3.4 APO and may try a few shots with that. On the DMR, I would use the 180mm APO Summicron, but I sold that lens last week in my transition to Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom:

Download Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.3 Beta - Adobe Labs

Don't know if ACR 7.3 release candidate works with PS versions prior to 6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom:

Download Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.3 Beta - Adobe Labs

Don't know if ACR 7.3 release candidate works with PS versions prior to 6
    Thanks, downloading now.

Edit:

Downloaded and it has the R lens profiles now. The 28mm profile makes a big difference and may even correct the edges for sharpness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sergio:

I just did a bit of testing and you are correct, except when the lens is at its optimum aperture, which is f5.6. In this case the center is much sharper with more contrast, when focused to infinity. As you top down from f8 to f11, the performance in the center is about equal i focused using the edge of the frame. I did not test f2.8 and f4, nor try to find a compromise focus between the edges sharp and the middle sharp. I jus used Live view on the side of the frame.

This may explain why some Leica lenses do no focus at infinity on digital. Leica probably fine tuned the infinity setting just shy of infinity to factor field curvature and other lens properties into the calibration.

I am off to my young son's basketball game. I will be shooting with the 50 and 85mm Nikon G lenses, but I also converted my 180mm f3.4 APO and may try a few shots with that. On the DMR, I would use the 180mm APO Summicron, but I sold that lens last week in my transition to Nikon.
    Your test corresponds to my findings.
    When stopping down to 5,6 you must slightly compensate for focus shift,to center the focus area.
    You can see the results on the test targets of the previus post.
    I have the 180 3,4 and it is also a splendid and underrated lens.
    Good luck to the young player...
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markhout View Post

Sorry for the OT reply.
    Does this solution has better resolution on screen than the original camera screen?? Or is it just for the bigger screen area?

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Brightscreen on the D800 but did't like it , too dark and looks like old 1980's screens, very grainy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Sergio

Great examples . You seem to have the R on D800E very well understood . I found a new old stock 28EM which should come today or monday . Waiting on the chips from Leitax to allow me to calibrate my D800E s (using default for Ai-s lenses in the AF adjustment menu) . I have converted the 50 and 80 summiluxes .

Adobe just released lens calibration profiles for most of the R lenses in the new CS and LR releases .

Biggest limitation left for me is the viewing screen . The after market brightscreen and katzeye etc seem to be leaving the D800 out . I am used to focusing on the screen and not recomposing .
    Thanks Roger.
    Thanks also for the info on lens calibration profiles. Downloaded, and very
    good, especially useful for elmarit 19 and 28.
    The fact that Adobe decided to create these profiles is a clear indication of increasing interest on r lenses.
    (sooner or later, focusing problem will be solved, when live view viewfinders on full frame cameras will reach adequate quality)
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sadly, there is no 180mm f3.4 APO profile, just the 180mm APO Summicron.

Here is the 180mm at the basketball this afternoon. The venue had evening sunlight coming in one end providing very odd lighting for basketball. I am at the cottage this weekend and processed this on my ancient MackBook Pro, so forgive any colour problems. It looks a little over sharp on the laptop too, but was just regular Capture One 7 settings. This was with the 180mm f3.4 at f3.4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also used the Leica 28mm Elmarit-r for the basketball. This one was processed in Lightroom with the lens corrections.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rob

How would you compare the color between C1/7 and Lr4? The RED s are very different which one is accurate ? Other observations ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger

I don't think the basketball images are a good comparison for the two processors because the 180mm shot was lit with sunlight from the windows and the 28mm was lit by mixed lighting. It was a brand new building put up a couple years ago, so I have no idea what the lights are.

If I get a chance today, I will try the 28mm shot in both. It was balanced off a grey card shot of the area under the basket, but some of the players may be lit by reflected light off the floor.

edit:

Here are the comparisons. Keep in mind I am working off an old MacBook Pro that hasn't been calibrated since 2009. On both images, the grey card colour balance was used for the colour balance settings. I used shadow recovery and fill or whatever it is called in Lightroom these days to bring up the two subjects with the ball.

Here is the Lightroom version:

This is Capture 1 version 7.
    Last edited by robsteve; 11th November 2012 at 06:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the 180mm f3.4 APO in the first minutes of the game when one end had sunlight on it.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took the time today to try the 90mm Summicron on the D800E and compare it to the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G lens. In the end, the Nikkor was sharper across the frame, the Leica images looked better when not pixel peeping. I am in the process of uploading the test shots, but in the meantime, here is my dog Bea shot on the Summicron and the 85 G, though on different days and different lighting.

The first is the Summicron, shot at 100iso and f2.8. I should have chose a higher ISO to get a higher shutter speed.

This is the 85mm f1.8 G at 1600iso and an overcast day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are my 90mm Summicron and 85mm Nikkor f1.8 G tests. I found the 90mm Summicron focus shifts, so I reshot the the test image for the crops. The full size image is the one with the focus shift, but it is not noticable in a small image and I wanted to keep comparable lighting to the Nikkor image for the big picture comparison. I used tripod, MLU and live view focusing, focused on the bricks on the right of the building.

I will put the labels at the bottom of the photos.

This is the full frame of the 90mm Summicron at f8.

This is the full frame of the 85mm Nikkor at f8.

The 90mm Summicron crop.

The 85mm Nikkor crop.

This is the 90mm Summicron near the right side of the frame.

The 85mm Nikkor near the right side of the frame.
    Last edited by robsteve; 13th November 2012 at 07:19. Reason: spacing

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I took the time today to try the 90mm Summicron on the D800E and compare it to the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G lens. In the end, the Nikkor was sharper across the frame, the Leica images looked better when not pixel peeping. I am in the process of uploading the test shots, but in the meantime, here is my dog Bea shot on the Summicron and the 85 G, though on different days and different lighting.

The first is the Summicron, shot at 100iso and f2.8. I should have chose a higher ISO to get a higher shutter speed.

This is the 85mm f1.8 G at 1600iso and an overcast day.

The Summicron looks slightly "better" to my taste (overall look).
    On the other side ... can you focus manually accurate with a D800 except live view?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon G image is the hands down winner. Sharpness, OOF areas, the light and more importantly the composition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nikon G image is the hands down winner. Sharpness, OOF areas, the light and more importantly the composition.
    The Nikon image was pretty good considering it was one of the first shots I took when the D800E arrived.

Though the images are not similar, I find the Nikon out of focus objects a bit too refined and a swirly sort of bokeh like the old Zeiss lenses. For example, the tree branches or the leaves in the left background in the Nikon image.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I look at "bokeh" as a tool for composition. It can not stand on its own. What good is a lens if it can not get the job at hand done? For the dog action shots, the two examples are like night and day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tired a comparison on the two lenses at f2 and in regards to bokeh, there is very little difference. The Summicron may go out of focus a bit quicker near the subject, but in the big picture, they look similar.

There was a bit of wind that blew the leaves around and knocked the ball off between shots. I cropped the wider 85mm shot to be about the same scene as the 90mm. The camera was on manual and the Nikkor seemed to expose a bit lighter than the Summicron. I reduced the exposure on the 85mm by about 2/10ths of a stop to get similar exposure to the Summicron. Both shots were at the same white balance.

This is the Nikkor at f2.

The Summicron at f2.

Here are the crops. I focused on the surface of the ball. The Nikkor is clearly the better overall lens with the exception of colour rendering, which I prefer on the Summicron.

The Nikkor image crop at 100%.

The Summicron image crop at 100%.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I tired a comparison on the two lenses at f2 and in regards to bokeh, there is very little difference. The Summicron may go out of focus a bit quicker near the subject, but in the big picture, they look similar.
    In this sample I prefer the Nikon Bokeh and overall look

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the dog.

The 85G is a very good lens for it's price range. It is a bit MickeyMousey and needs some PP help when compared with the render of Leica R.
    But I do like the 85/1.8G a lot and the 85/1.4G is sitting in the cabinet for the moment.

It is interesting to look at the Dog+Ball pic but maybe not fair to the Cron 90 as the dog is running towards the camera and focus might be a bit off?

The Ball+Chair pics are a better test and I am curious to know if you used a tripod and/or live view or was it handheld and manual focus?

I am not a fan of the Cron 90 and prefer the 90AA which obviously beats the 85/1.8G and the 85/1.4G on all accounts minus speed of focusing and bokeh WO.

But this statement is not based on any test and only on looking at pics shot with the 85G's and the 90AA. Yeah maybe I should do a side by side test to be on the safe side.

A small question, your Exif shows 85mm for the Cron 90 while I tend to use the 86mm slot to differentiate another 85mm namely the CZJ 85/1.2.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rob, The Summicron just does not go unsharp quickly, it just is unsharp (from your samples) overall compared to the Nikkor. Not a surprise at all to me. For an old simple double Gauss lens, the Summicron isn't bad and is perhaps a bit unfair to compare with the modern 85/1.8 G.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having owned the 90mm APO, I could say it would match or outperform the 85mm Nikkor, but at quite a price premium.

I put the R mount back on the Summicron and it is back in the cabinet with the old Leicaflex SL2 Mot, a camera more its vintage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alon View Post
    I like the dog.

It is interesting to look at the Dog+Ball pic but maybe not fair to the Cron 90 as the dog is running towards the camera and focus might be a bit off?

The Ball+Chair pics are a better test and I am curious to know if you used a tripod and/or live view or was it handheld and manual focus?

A small question, your Exif shows 85mm for the Cron 90 while I tend to use the 86mm slot to differentiate another 85mm namely the CZJ 85/1.2.
    I think the dog is in focus, but the shutter speed was too slow for the motion. There is a bit of blur, but it is a motion blur.

For the chair picture, the camera was live view focused on a tripod. The Summicron wide open is not as sharp as the Nikon at f2 and I confirmed this when testing using the apartment building shot earlier in the thread. I didn't test the 85mm @f1.8. if the 85mm is like the 50mm f1.8 G, it too would be a bit soft with CA wide open.

I changed it to 86mm in later shots. I assume Nikon never made a 90mm, so 90mm is not in the list.
    Last edited by robsteve; 13th November 2012 at 11:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob thanks for the tests.
    It's clear that the Nikon 85 1.8 is better performer.
    I'm thinking of going for this prime or the 90mm APO Lanthar which report very good on Digilloids.

Post Thanks / Like

Antonio

Having used all three lens systems....consider that the Nikon lenses render differently from the Leica R . So if you are putting together a collection or a book ...the images will have a different aesthetic . Personally I don t much like the signature of the Nikon 1.8 primes ..much prefer the 85 1.4G which I think is as good as it gets in a Nikkor.

I went with the 80/1.4 SLX .....lower contrast and resolution wide open ..but at F5.6 has the classic Leica R balance of color,contrast,resolution and bokeh. If I was doing landscape I would get the 100APO . If I wanted more sharpness wide open I would get the 90APO ...but the character of the 80 SLX is well regarded .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Antonio

Having used all three lens systems....consider that the Nikon lenses render differently from the Leica R . So if you are putting together a collection or a book ...the images will have a different aesthetic . Personally I don t much like the signature of the Nikon 1.8 primes ..much prefer the 85 1.4G which I think is as good as it gets in a Nikkor.

I went with the 80/1.4 SLX .....lower contrast and resolution wide open ..but at F5.6 has the classic Leica R balance of color,contrast,resolution and bokeh. If I was doing landscape I would get the 100APO . If I wanted more sharpness wide open I would get the 90APO ...but the character of the 80 SLX is well regarded .
    Roger, great info. I'm planning to use it for landscape and mostly urban details, The 100mm is bit long for my taste, the 80 to 85 would do better.
    I still need to balance some of interests to be able to decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I made some more lens tests this morning. I don't have the time to posts the results, but in this case the Leica was the superior lens. A Canadian retailer had the Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR II on sale at about $350 off and I bought one last night. This morning I compared it to the Leica 105-280mm at the 200mm setting. The Leica is at its nest at f5.6, so I shot both at that aperture. The Leica was sharp out to the edges of the frame, the Nikon wasn't. Before getting worried about the Nikon, I looked up the MTF curves for it and the quality drops off at the 15mm area, probably as demonstrated in my test shot. The Leica doesn't drop off until a bit further out and is reflected in my test shot.

I shot hockey with the 70-200mm and its AF performance is excellent. Just downloading the files now. Why did I get a 36mp camera; it takes so long to download and sort the files.
    The Leica MTF curves can be found here:

Leica Camera AG - Downloads

Ken Rockwell has the Nikon ones in his review. I couldn't find them on the Nikon Canada site.

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I've been using three Leica R's on my Canon's for years, (thanks to a guy named Guy Mancuso, who shared the secret of solving wide angle resolution on the latest hi-res cameras at that time).

Now that I took delivery of a D800 I've successfully adapted my 28 f2.8 and 35 f2, but could not get the 19mm 2.8 to work. the rear element penetrates the body too much to clear the mirror's path. All my lenses are the latest ROM versions. They are spectacular performers and i'm very disappointed in this problem with the 19. I've removed all the material I can from the rear of the lens without grinding the optics .

I'd love to know how others have gotten this lens to work? Maybe the D800E has a different mirror? I planned on getting the E also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterSteve View Post
    Hi,

I've been using three Leica R's on my Canon's for years, (thanks to a guy named Guy Mancuso, who shared the secret of solving wide angle resolution on the latest hi-res cameras at that time).

Now that I took delivery of a D800 I've successfully adapted my 28 f2.8 and 35 f2, but could not get the 19mm 2.8 to work. the rear element penetrates the body too much to clear the mirror's path. All my lenses are the latest ROM versions. They are spectacular performers and i'm very disappointed in this problem with the 19. I've removed all the material I can from the rear of the lens without grinding the optics .

I'd love to know how others have gotten this lens to work? Maybe the D800E has a different mirror? I planned on getting the E also.
    I haven't tried the 19mm yet, but with the 21-35mm, I can use live view and this puts up the mirror. Once the mirror is up, I zoom to the 21mm setting and frame and expose using live view.

I don't have my 19mm handy, but if the rear element moves, you may be able to activate live view with the lens at close focus.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the 19mm yet, but with the 21-35mm, I can use live view and this puts up the mirror. Once the mirror is up, I zoom to the 21mm setting and frame and expose using live view.

I don't have my 19mm handy, but if the rear element moves, you may be able to activate live view with the lens at close focus.
    Yes, I've done that on some of my old Canon bodies. On my 1DsMk3 it works perfectly as is. On my 5D Mk3 I have to focus just a bit closer than infinity an it works fine. But with on the D800 I'm going to have to grind the shroud down past the spot where the rear element rests at infinity for that to work. I may give it a try later today. It's a work around but also a real pain do to that on a job while trying to shoot quickly. My alternative is to just keep it for my Canon bodies, and buy a Zeiss 18 for the Nikon. Maybe the next generation bodies will work better with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the 400mm APO on the D800E. I was shooting through dirty plexi glass so the images will not be as sharp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

Steve, see post 26 in this thread, instructions on leitax site, or search for elmarit r 19 modification: there are a lot of suggestions.
    If you don't want to grind more material from the lens or the mirror of the camera, you can still use the 19 in live view, as suggested by Rob, or activating live view and putting the lens on the camera after that.(but you shouldn't have any problem with the grinding)
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, see post 26 in this thread, instructions on leitax site, or search for elmarit r 19 modification: there are a lot of suggestions.
    If you don't want to grind more material from the lens or the mirror of the camera, you can still use the 19 in live view, as suggested by Rob, or activating live view and putting the lens on the camera after that.(but you shouldn't have any problem with the grinding)
    Sergio
    Yes, It looks like I already removed more material than that photo shows,but maybe the angle wasn't the same. I'm also wondering if the E has a different mirror box? I'll give it another go and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

The shroud must be partially filed. I did the operation without difficulty.

_DSC1262 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Lens can be protected with a circle of plastic material and paper tape used to avoid that metal dust penetrate in the lens.
    I think this is the best wide angle for the 18-21 range ever made. Distortion
    is identical to that of the Zeiss 21 2,8 ZF2, profiles available on PS:
    Sergio
    Hi Sergio, if you get a chance can you take a better photo of the rear of your 19 2.8? I have the same lens and am so far, unable to remove enough of the rear of the lens to clear the mirror on my D800. I have the latest ROM version. Is that what yours is?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses-summilux 80

Just converted. The usual target at 1,4 and 5,6 to compare with other lenses.

Summilux 80 1,4

_DSC1420a by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Summilux 80 5,6

_DSC1424a by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

Post Thanks / Like

Sergio

Your tests are the best ! This is exactly what I love about the 80/1.4 . The ability to use the aperture to change the aesthetic of the rendering .

Yes its difficult to focus accurately wide open at closer distances and the 85/1.4G is much easier to get right ..but often you only need one photograph out of many captures.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've done that on some of my old Canon bodies. On my 1DsMk3 it works perfectly as is. On my 5D Mk3 I have to focus just a bit closer than infinity an it works fine. But with on the D800 I'm going to have to grind the shroud down past the spot where the rear element rests at infinity for that to work. I may give it a try later today. It's a work around but also a real pain do to that on a job while trying to shoot quickly. My alternative is to just keep it for my Canon bodies, and buy a Zeiss 18 for the Nikon. Maybe the next generation bodies will work better with it.
    This a bit discouraging . With the Canon bodies it used be that the mirrors had a wide variance (tolerance) ..some worked and others would not . Sergio posted some examples using his 19 . Anyone else using a 19 and been through the shaving process. I would hate to buy one and shave it to fine it would not focus to infinity without hitting the mirror .