The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My Leitax mounts arrived Monday and I have been playing with some of my R glass. I saved the best for last. The 400mm f2.8 APO can be converted using the Leitax mounts. It requires the ten hole mount and there needs to be some adjustments to the Leitax mount where the aperture follower lever moves in a cutout. Some of the R lenses, such as this lens and the 105-280mm have a slightly thicker lever than the other Leica lenses and it binds in the stock Leitax mount.

I haven't had a chance to modify the Leitax mount, but it fit fine on the 1.4x Extender. Here is the combo, giving me a 560mm f4 lens on the D800E. From initial testing it seems very sharp, as it was on the R cameras.

Excuse the photo quality, it was shot on my cell phone.

Rob

Did you get the chipped versions of the mounts ? I have been using the mounts for a few years ..but I know he keeps improving the design . I am adding chips to my existing mounts . This is required to tune the Focus Confirmation for manual lenses on the D800E.

robsteve

Subscriber
Rob

Did you get the chipped versions of the mounts ? I have been using the mounts for a few years ..but I know he keeps improving the design . I am adding chips to my existing mounts . This is required to tune the Focus Confirmation for manual lenses on the D800E.
I went for just the plain mounts. I suppose if I did it again, I would get the chipped mounts as I find the selection of lenses on the menu system pretty cumbersome.

I am probably going to order a few more mounts for my other R lenses and will get a few with chips.

I am not quite sure what the chip provides other than the exif information. I know it is needed on the lower level Nikons to get auto exposure.

Robert

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I went for just the plain mounts. I suppose if I did it again, I would get the chipped mounts as I find the selection of lenses on the menu system pretty cumbersome.

I am probably going to order a few more mounts for my other R lenses and will get a few with chips.

I am not quite sure what the chip provides other than the exif information. I know it is needed on the lower level Nikons to get auto exposure.

Robert
Rob

The Nikon AF fine tuning has a default setting that allows you to adjust the AF sensor to the capturing sensor . If the focus confirmation in the camera seems to be off (back or front) ..you adjust it by using the default setting .

This is independent of the settings for MF lenses which are required to tell the camera the maximum aperture of the lens and the focal length .

These are totally separate settings and do not affect the calibration adjustments for AF lenses in any way .

You need a chipped lens (AI-S) to be able to make use of the adjustment .

Obviously if you are focusing off the screen only makes no difference .

So the Nikon chip does not contain any EXIF information .

You can add these to your mounts after the fact ...not cheap 27euro .

The other small issue is the need for a different mount if you want 1/2 stop increments and on some lenses a small plastic stopper to keep from going past infinity .

I will have the new stuff in a few weeks and will report out what I find .

Thumbs up for Jack who pointed out the default calibration method.

robsteve

Subscriber
I realized I have both a 50mm Summicron and a 50mm f1.8 Nikkor, so I put a Leitax mount on the Summicron and made a few test shots. These were done on a tripod and MLU, focusing with live view on the lattice near the base of the dock. This is the f2.8 comparison in the center. The Summicron is also better across the field. I will post more samples later when I get the time.

Here is the Nikkor:

The Summicron:

Roger,
I tested focus confirmation with 10 r lenses, and with all it was quite spot on and consistent, so probably you would want just one chipped adapter just in case.
The plastic stopper is for aperture, but in practice it works only on the full aperture side. On the side full closed lens, or the lens itself stop rotation of the ring, or it continues rotation notwhistanding the stop.

Sergio

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I went for just the plain mounts. I suppose if I did it again, I would get the chipped mounts as I find the selection of lenses on the menu system pretty cumbersome. (...)

Rob, we can assign the Fn button + command dials for quick access to the Non-CPU lens setting (though we still have to remember to do it when changing manual focus lenses)

MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> f Controls >> f4 Assign Fn button >> Fn button + command dials >> Non-CPU: Choose non-CPU lens number >> OK

In step # 5 make sure you choose Fn button + command dials (not Fn button press)

Personally I like this handling method.

robsteve

Subscriber
I would think the calibration would be more important for the AF lenses where it is a calibration of the timing of the AF to compensate for AF lag and just plain drive train lash/freeplay on the older lenses.

From my experience using live view, it is a very fine difference between in and out of focus and I doubt if the cheaper AF motor driven lenses could do it consistently. The lenses with the wave motor probably are better, but still need to be tuned to make up for the mass and etc that has to be started and stopped and the time it takes to do this.

robsteve

Subscriber
Thanks Steen, I think it may have actually been setup that way by the previous owner.

This change to Nikon is taking a bit of getting used to. On the R9, most of the settings were just switches. The Nikon command dial locations are a bit cramped for my big hands, in particular the thumb one. On the Canon 1D series, it was a dial where the af jog switch on the Nikon is and it was a more natural position for the thumb.

The lens release is taking a bit of getting practise too. This is one spot where Leica had a better design. The release button is on the other side of the body and you could securely hold the body by the grip and leather hand strap and press the release button with the index finger of the same hand on the grip. You really notice the difference when using large lenses where on Canon and Nikon it is difficult to hold the lens and press the release with the same hand.

Rob, we can assign the Fn button + command dials for quick access to the Non-CPU lens setting (though we still have to remember to do it when changing manual focus lenses)

MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> f Controls >> f4 Assign Fn button >> Fn button + command dials >> Non-CPU: Choose non-CPU lens number >> OK

In step # 5 make sure you choose Fn button + command dials (not Fn button press)

Personally I like this handling method.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger,
I tested focus confirmation with 10 r lenses, and with all it was quite spot on and consistent, so probably you would want just one chipped adapter just in case.
The plastic stopper is for aperture, but in practice it works only on the full aperture side. On the side full closed lens, or the lens itself stop rotation of the ring, or it continues rotation notwhistanding the stop.

Sergio
Its a function of the camera body and at least one of my D800E bodies back focuses . I guess I could complain to nikon but that hasn t been working out so well in the USA .

Thanks for the tips . You photos reminded me of the fabulous look of the R lenses . :grin:

robsteve

Subscriber
Is the 90mm Summicron any good on the D800?
It probably should be. Read Roger's post about the differences between Leica lenses and Nikon lenses to get an idea of what to expect.

I have also found that Erwin Puts book, even the first edition is a good reference when considering a lens for the D800E. His tests in the days of high definition film are more in line with what to expect with the D800E.

I have a 90mm Summicron-R and if I get a chance I may try it on the D800E, comparing it with the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G.

It probably should be. Read Roger's post about the differences between Leica lenses and Nikon lenses to get an idea of what to expect.

I have also found that Erwin Puts book, even the first edition is a good reference when considering a lens for the D800E. His tests in the days of high definition film are more in line with what to expect with the D800E.

I have a 90mm Summicron-R and if I get a chance I may try it on the D800E, comparing it with the Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G.
I would like to see that comparison Rob.

I also wonder about those two Nikon lenses the 85 1.8 and the 1.4. I'm a tripod guy and alway work at f8 or f11. Is there much difference..

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) I have also found that Erwin Puts book, even the first edition is a good reference when considering a lens for the D800E. (...)

What Rob says :thumbup:

A year ago I posted some illustrations of Puts' Leica Compendium here - just for information for those not familiar with the book (which I find excellent).

elmarit r 28 type 2 (FLE)the best Leica lenses.

This one also converted with leitax adapter.
A great lens for shure, and working perfectly with the d800.
Full open, the effect of a moderate field curvature is visible in the extreme corners,, less so at F4.
At 5,6 and 8 the lens is sharp center to corners, and outresolves the sensor.
The usual transparency of the best Leica lenses.
A few test shots. Full size jpg on flikr.

_DSC1404 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC1398 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC1374 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC1399 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Sergio

Great examples . You seem to have the R on D800E very well understood . I found a new old stock 28EM which should come today or monday . Waiting on the chips from Leitax to allow me to calibrate my D800E s (using default for Ai-s lenses in the AF adjustment menu) . I have converted the 50 and 80 summiluxes .

Adobe just released lens calibration profiles for most of the R lenses in the new CS and LR releases .

Biggest limitation left for me is the viewing screen . The after market brightscreen and katzeye etc seem to be leaving the D800 out . I am used to focusing on the screen and not recomposing .

markhout

Roger - I struggle with the same focusing / composing / screen challenge on the 800E with any manual focus lens.

For tripod based work I use a simple hotshoe mounted HDMI monitor. I currently use a Sony, but am thinking of upgrading to a SmallHD electronic viewfinder (see smallhd.com). Still need to figure out how that would work with my glasses.

Sorry for the OT reply.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger - I struggle with the same focusing / composing / screen challenge on the 800E with any manual focus lens.

For tripod based work I use a simple hotshoe mounted HDMI monitor. I currently use a Sony, but am thinking of upgrading to a SmallHD electronic viewfinder (see smallhd.com). Still need to figure out how that would work with my glasses.

Sorry for the OT reply.
Focusing is a critical aspects of any solution approximating 40MPs ...can have more impact on sharpness than any differences between lens systems .

For my shooting I am clearly trying to use the wrong system . I enjoy the walking in street photography and for me nothing beats ..the off hours in a city like Paris . I want to be out before dawn and or just before sun down . A tripod is too limiting although I am committed to using one more in 2013.

I enjoy the greater DR ,higher ISO and the ability to capture images in light well below anything I could do with film . LV is of course a miracle for shooting on a tripod and can even be used in some situations to establish decent focus points in low light hand held . But ..I miss using the screen to see whats in focus .

I am sure someone will come up with a good replacement screen .

robsteve

Subscriber
Roger:

When your 28mm comes, be sure to read Erwin Puts' description of it when pixel peeping. I was obsessing over my copy not being perfect to the edge of the frame, but it actually was performing like Mr. Puts described.

In regards to lens profiles in Lightroom, when did they come out? I downloaded Lightroom 4 last week and I only saw Leica M and S lenses in the profiles.