Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    This a bit discouraging . With the Canon bodies it used be that the mirrors had a wide variance (tolerance) ..some worked and others would not . Sergio posted some examples using his 19 . Anyone else using a 19 and been through the shaving process. I would hate to buy one and shave it to fine it would not focus to infinity without hitting the mirror .
    If I didn't already have the Leica 19, I would probably pick up the Zeiss 18 and save all the trouble. But I would love to see a comparison between the two on the D800/e - anyone out there have both??? I'm going to get back to work on my Leica 19 next week and see if I can't get it to work. I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With my 180mm f3.4 APO now sold, I decided to try the Leitax mount on an old 35mm Summicron I have. Just playing with it this evening, it looks promising on the D800E.

Here is my dog Bea with her favorite stuffed toy. It was pretty dim and easy to focus if she stayed still. This was the 35mm Summicron at F2 and 2500iso.

Last edited by robsteve; 19th November 2012 at 05:40.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterSteve View Post
    Hi Sergio, if you get a chance can you take a better photo of the rear of your 19 2.8? I have the same lens and am so far, unable to remove enough of the rear of the lens to clear the mirror on my D800. I have the latest ROM version. Is that what yours is?

Thanks for any help.

Steve
    Latest but not ROM.

_DSC2214 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

A little bigger on flickr.
    Hope this helps.
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the dog in action again with the 35mm Summicron-R, shot at f2. I might have processed it a bit too cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Here is the dog in action again with the 35mm Summicron-R, shot at f2. I might have processed it a bit too cool.

Rob looks pretty good in the centre, hoe about edges?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Rob looks pretty good in the centre, how about edges?
    Its very sharp in the center, the edges need it to be stopped down. I think there is probably a bit of curvature of field and for scenic stuff, you would probably have to as Sergio suggests, focus on the edges and use the DOF to get the center.

I also have the 21-35mm and in comparison to the 35mm Summicron and the 28mm Elmarit, the 21-35mm has better performance out to the edges on the D800E. It is also very good at the 21mm setting and unless you need the speed of the 19mm and the wider angle of view, the 21-25mm can replace all three lenses. The 21-35mm is also a lens profile supported on Lightroom, which makes me think it will work well on the new M.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a test shot I made yesterday morning with the 35mm Summicron. I was counting click stops and forgot it was a F2 lens, so this was at f5.6. It would have been a little bit better on the edges at f8. Don't use the tree brance at the very left as a guide, because it was a tree on my property and not too far from the camera, and out of focus. Use the edge of the lake and the grass, concrete as a guide.

There was frost in the grass sublimating (look that one up), so some parts of the image in the center in particular have this mist killing some of the sharpness like a heat haze.

From the left side of the image.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob

That dog looks like he is capable of some serious chewing .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Impressive manual focus for DIF (Dogs In Flight), and sports ...

Enjoy your optical viewfinder while you have one.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Luv the dog.

Post Thanks / Like

D-800 E, Summicron 50R, 1/30 f:2.0
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sergio

Yes Thanks. I can see now that you also had to grind down the rear optic ring a bit too. That was what I was thinking had to be done.

Appreciate the new detail.

Wish me luck!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ran a few tests with the Nikon TC-16A 1.6x AF converter. Though it works don't think it is a very high quality converter. The images are sharp, but are missing the fine details and they have a bit of a glow to them. I was using it on the 400mm APO.

sunsetnoir

I'm new here, i just convert a R 35mm cron on my D800E, here are some problems:
    1, I have to change aperture on the lens ring.
    2, I can't focus on small aperture low light.
    anybody knows why?
    some pictures here, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica R lenses on D800 are completely manual, there is no link to the auto aperture lever,
    so you change aperture with lens ring and expose with stop down metering.
    Focusing is best done with the lens wide open, or maximun 2,8/4.
    Otherwise use live view.
    Wellcome!

Sergio

sunsetnoir

Sergio Thanks!
    I have another question, I have to turn reverse direction to focus, is that a problem?

-Ray

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunsetnoir/

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    Leica R lenses on D800 are completely manual, there is no link to the auto aperture lever,
    so you change aperture with lens ring and expose with stop down metering.
    Focusing is best done with the lens wide open, or maximun 2,8/4.
    Otherwise use live view.
    Wellcome!

Sergio
    Last edited by sunsetnoir; 19th January 2013 at 21:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No problem, Leica R lenses focus in opposite direction with respect to Nikon.

sunsetnoir

thanks a lot! Sergio, you answered all my questions! now I am happy with my DIY L-N work now! the cheaper RainbowImaging adapter actually works fine. cheers! have a nice day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    No problem, Leica R lenses focus in opposite direction with respect to Nikon.
    I find the focus direction on the Nikon hard to get used to. Is Nikon the only one that that has the reverse pitch to the focus ?

Post Thanks / Like

I am considering using Leica R 80-200/4 on D800E vs Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II (or new 70-200/4 VRII). For my type of work, I am very comfortable with manual focus and not having VR. So, I am really asking about overall lens quality (and practicality of R interface with adapter).

Thanks.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

180mm Apo Elmarit R at the Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that if you can find a Leica R in excellent optical condition, it will out perform any other brand in most focal lengths. I have three and would like a few more, but the prices are very high and they are hard to find - which I guess explains the high $$$.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa... that's some serious field curvature! (Good shot!)

I found Leica R coatings often reproduced a bit cool, or cyan for the older luxes.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetnoir View Post
    Is that Newbury Street in Boston, or somewhere in Brooklyn? I assume Boston since the cab outside isn't yellow. I use to live on Boylston St and later Beacon St near Mass Ave in the early 90s. (When I worked at the Free Software Foundation, back then housed by MIT at 545 Tech Sq in Cambridge.)

The double image in the window is kind of confusing yet adds an interesting dimension.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Is that Newbury Street in Boston, or somewhere in Brooklyn? I assume Boston since the cab outside isn't yellow.
    LOL - I was thinking exactly the same.

Nice pic.

sunsetnoir

Thanks, Yes, That is Newbury St. in Boston.
    I was trying to find a different viewpoint on the street other than shoot those beautiful brown house and fancy shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Is that Newbury Street in Boston, or somewhere in Brooklyn? I assume Boston since the cab outside isn't yellow. I use to live on Boylston St and later Beacon St near Mass Ave in the early 90s. (When I worked at the Free Software Foundation, back then housed by MIT at 545 Tech Sq in Cambridge.)

The double image in the window is kind of confusing yet adds an interesting dimension.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all!

A very interesting thread with many instructive (and some beautiful) images. Thanks a lot!

I recently purchased an Apo-Elmarit 180, and am still waiting to receive the Leitax mount for it. If there is interest, I'll be happy to post samples later on.

I'm also interested in the Summilux 80, and was wondering if anyone here has used it with the D800/E. I'd be primarily interested in feedback regarding performance at wide apertures.

TIA,

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    Hi all!

A very interesting thread with many instructive (and some beautiful) images. Thanks a lot!

I recently purchased an Apo-Elmarit 180, and am still waiting to receive the Leitax mount for it. If there is interest, I'll be happy to post samples later on.

I'm also interested in the Summilux 80, and was wondering if anyone here has used it with the D800/E. I'd be primarily interested in feedback regarding performance at wide apertures.

TIA,

Ron

The 80/1.4 was the first Leica R lens I converted to the Nikon mount . Used if for two years on the D3X and then now on the D800E . It is almost exactly like the 75/1.4 on the M body . At its widest apertures it is soft,lower contrast and has some of the Leica glow . The downside is that it will not render the fine detail that the D800E is capable of resolving when shooting wide open. Stopped down to f2.8 and then F5.6 is becomes very sharp . I like the flexibility to use the character of this lens . A great lens for new baby photography.

If you really want strong IQ at f1.4 (and aren t speaking to the aesthetic ) the 50 /1.4 R summilux 60MM version is much better .

Post Thanks / Like

Roger, many thanks for your input! Soft wide open and sharp stopped-down sounds like an interesting combo. I've got 50 and 100mm covered with Zeiss MPs, and I'm looking for an interesting lens to cover the middle ground.

From different samples I've seen, I don't really care for the way the ZF.2 Planar 1.4/85 draws at wide apertures. The bokeh is a bit too busy for my liking. That and focus shift at close range made me look elsewhere. The Lux seems smoother from what I've seen, but I haven't seen any direct comparisons. I would appreciate any comments on this.

As an aside, I'm also considering the C/Y Sonnar 2.8/85 as a travel lens. Small, light and sharp even wide open....

Post Thanks / Like

Ron

I tried the 85/1.4 zeiss and agree with your observations. The 85/1.4 is an excellent travel lens with all the zeiss pop . It seems better at distance than close up and as you noted the bokeh can be harsh at times .

The Leica 80/1.4 is completely different ..wide open its all about the bokeh and the color is excellent but soft compared to the Zeiss. Stopped down the resolution and contrast are surprising ..excellent .

Keep in mind that Leica R images will not pair well with the ZF 50 and 100 ...the differences in rendering can be distracting . This is why I went with all Leica R glass for my D800E ..they were a better fit with the aesthetics of my M gear .

Shame that neither system seems to have a complete set between 21 and 180 . I like the zeiss wide angles 15/18/21/25 and the Leica 50/80/100/180 . So I went with the 19/28 R to complete the R kit . Zeiss does a really great job of color matching because of the use of the same glass in cinema mount sets .

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that Leica R images will not pair well with the ZF 50 and 100 ...the differences in rendering can be distracting . This is why I went with all Leica R glass for my D800E ..they were a better fit with the aesthetics of my M gear .
    That's a really good point - thanks! The thought never crossed my mind, but I guess I'm on the right track regardless: most of my M-lenses are Zeiss, and I'm very happy with them (I'm using them on NEX-7 and NEX-6). But I do already have a mix, using Leica at the long end of the range for both M and R and CVs on the wide end for M.

I'm currently chasing an 80 lux that looks good (ROM version, latest coatings). I hope it works out...

Post Thanks / Like

The 80/1.4 is a special lens ..you will surely enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Roger
    Can you comment on the qualities of the Leica R 28mm and 19mm on the D800E, are they the newest versions?
    I'm using the Leica R 2,8/180mm APO and the 100mm APO-Macro with great success on the D800E and am now considering these wides.

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

Jost

Fotografie: Jost von Allmen
    www.jostvonallmen.com
    Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like

The 19 and the 28 were my two picks for the wide angles . 28 is my most used FOV for travel and street .

The 19 is away at DAG getting shaved and converted to a Nikon mount . I had it before and found it superb but remember my context is street and travel ...not a good test generally for a landscape or architectural photographer .

The 28/2.8 R latest version with pull out shade is exceptional . One of the last R lenses to be updated and it has the floating elements . For my use its near perfect ...getting close for environmental portraits is important on the street . The FLE keep the performance at the top even close and wide open .

The lens does suffer from field curvature ....which can be frustrating for landscape photographer ..edges may not be sharp near infinity unless you stop down a lot . (this of course on a D800 takes you out of the optimum f5.6 range ) . Rob had some excellent examples of field curvature with the 28/2.8.

Color matching and consistent aesthetic are important to me (the concept of having a color matched set of lenses similar to video requirements ) ..the 28/2.8 R works really well with the 100APO . There is a few examples of Leica R bokeh on this thread and the 28 has consistent and excellent bokeh .

If your primary use was landscape and consistent color and aesthetic were not really important (my work is a collection ,an essay ,a book , an exhibit ) ...if you want a fine art print ..each print may stand on its own ..so consistency isn t critical .........
    I would pick the Zeiss wide angles for landscape 15/18/21/25 and I may give the 25/2 a try for street work as I miss having a fast wide angle.

Each system has its own finger print and working with the 100 and 180 app s I would think you will be very happy with the 19 and 28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sc_john View Post
    I am considering using Leica R 80-200/4 on D800E vs Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II (or new 70-200/4 VRII). For my type of work, I am very comfortable with manual focus and not having VR. So, I am really asking about overall lens quality (and practicality of R interface with adapter).

Thanks.

John
    John:

My best guess is the Leica will be sharper out to the edges than the Nikon. I don't have the Leica 80-200mm anymore, but when I compared it in the film days to the 105-280mm, the 105-280mm was slightly better. I have shot the 105-280mm versus the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II using a D800E and the Nikon is not sharp to the edges.

Here is a link to my test shots.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/472383-post18.html

Post Thanks / Like

John:

My best guess is the Leica will be sharper out to the edges than the Nikon. I don't have the Leica 80-200mm anymore, but when I compared it in the film days to the 105-280mm, the 105-280mm was slightly better. I have shot the 105-280mm versus the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II using a D800E and the Nikon is not sharp to the edges.

Here is a link to my test shots.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/472383-post18.html
    Thanks. That is quite a difference in the corners. Now my only decision is whether to convert the R 80-200/4 ROM to Nikon mount now or wait until M-240 is available for use with R:M adapter.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

A quick question to those of you who have experience with both the AE180/2.8 and the AT280/4: I currently have the option to buy an example of the latter model that has recently been to Solms for CLA. Compared to my AE180, I noticed that the focusing ring requires quite a lot of force to turn and seems rather 'sticky' if it hasn't been turned in about half a minute or longer. Is this normal? I should add that my AE180 focuses very smoothly and easily, allowing focusing with just one finger.

Many TIA for your input!

Best,

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A pair of notes on the elmarits 28 and 19.
    The slight 28' field curvature is not concave, as happens with most lenses, but
    convex, so the little trick to have an image completely in focus at infinity is to
    set the lens between the 5 meters and infinity marks, and stop down. 5,6 is enough in most cases.
    The 19 is a spectacular lens, at the same time sharp and with delicate Leica color rendering. Mustache distortion was the limit, but now ACR profiles provide
    for perfect correction.This has added great value to the lens.
    An example (a much bigger jpg on Flickr)

_DSC2014r by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    A quick question to those of you who have experience with both the AE180/2.8 and the AT280/4: I currently have the option to buy an example of the latter model that has recently been to Solms for CLA. Compared to my AE180, I noticed that the focusing ring requires quite a lot of force to turn and seems rather 'sticky' if it hasn't been turned in about half a minute or longer. Is this normal? I should add that my AE180 focuses very smoothly and easily, allowing focusing with just one finger.
    When I had the APO 280/4 it was super light on the focus. Maybe not quite one finger, but more like two due to the sheer amount of weight shifted. Nothing you'd ever characterize as sticky or tight. Sounds like they didn't lube it quite to factory spec during the CLA. Mine was bought new.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sergio, if you get a chance can you take a better photo of the rear of your 19 2.8? I have the same lens and am so far, unable to remove enough of the rear of the lens to clear the mirror on my D800. I have the latest ROM version. Is that what yours is?

Thanks for any help.

Steve
    Just a few follow ups . I sent my 19/2.8 v2 to DAG along with my D800E and for a very small charge he changed the mount and shaved the lens . Its so perfect that you would have to know what to look for to see it was modified . Highly recommended approach

Now I am after the 35 1.4 summilux but david at Leitax tells me ..while it works with shaving on a D700 ..it may not on the D800. This is disappointing as I am really looking hard for the 35 summilux . I don t want to get into shaving the mirror . Anyone have any experience ?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few follow ups . I sent my 19/2.8 v2 to DAG along with my D800E and for a very small charge he changed the mount and shaved the lens . Its so perfect that you would have to know what to look for to see it was modified . Highly recommended approach

Now I am after the 35 1.4 summilux but david at Leitax tells me ..while it works with shaving on a D700 ..it may not on the D800. This is disappointing as I am really looking hard for the 35 summilux . I don t want to get into shaving the mirror . Anyone have any experience ?
    That's interesting. I wonder why a 35mm lens would have a rear element so far back? My 28 2.8 and 35 f2 worked on all my cameras without a problem. Haven't tried the 35 1.4 though. My 35 f2 is a superb lens BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting. I wonder why a 35mm lens would have a rear element so far back? My 28 2.8 and 35 f2 worked on all my cameras without a problem. Haven't tried the 35 1.4 though. My 35 f2 is a superb lens BTW.
    I received a note from CartsenW over at FM ..he has converted a 35 1.4 shaved for a D800 . He indicated that the 35 requires a little more shaving but that it works great .

Now to find that 35 1.4 R ? where ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I love my Leica-R lenses on the D800E, and I'm looking for a few more. I would appreciate any feedback on the following:

- Elmarit-R 2.8/19: how difficult is it to shave the rear element to clear the D800E's mirror?
    - Elmarit-R 2.8/28: will this lens work on the D800 without modification?
    - Summicron-R 2/35: how does this lens compare to the Zeiss Distagon 2/35 ZF.2 at medium apertures (landscape work - I'm mostly interested in corner performance)?
    - Which Leica-R standard zoom (i.e. wide to short tele) would you prefer for landscape work (mostly used at medium apertures)?

Edit: I should add that I'm referring to the latest version of each lens with the first three items.

Many TIA for any feedback!

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Pfister; 6th May 2013 at 13:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ron,

I have all three of the lenses you are wondering about. See my earlier posts on converting the 19mm 2.8. It took quite a bit of patience and grinding to get it to work. Somewhere I heard about a Leica service company or tech who does the conversions. I would have taken that route had I known about that first as I probably took a year off my life using a file just millimeters from the rear element of a $3000 lens that is out of production!

The 28 2.8 and 35 f2 work perfectly with no mods necessary other than the mount conversion. I have not really critically analyzed the optical performance other than to say the images look fantastic. I used all of them on my Canons for a few years so I'm used to the performance. I don't have a Zeiss to compare them to, although I always wondered how they would compare. I've thought about the Zeiss 15 as the Leica is way too expensive if you can even find one.

Post Thanks / Like

DAG will shave the 19 elmarit . His work is so smooth you may not notice (as compared to doing it yourself ). I had to send him both the lens and the D800E . I have a 35/1.4 thats even harder to shave that he will do next .

The 28 and the 35/2 both work without shaving . The Leitax website is the best resource for conversion of the R glass to a nikon mount . I buy the chipped version of the mounts as it provides a way to calibrate focus confirmation (my body was excellent ..lucky).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your feedback, Roger and Steve!

@Steve: looking at Sergio's image above, I'd say this is within my comfort zone (i.e. not too close to the lens). You have the ROM-version, right? Does yours look similar with regard to the distance between the rear element and the end of it's surrounding metal ring?

@Roger: you mentioned field curvature of the 2.8/28 earlier in this thread. Is this limited to the corners, or do the edges on the short sides of the frame suffer from it, as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Ron

I shoot primarily street and so I rarely look closely at the edges at infinity . For near to mid distances I am finding the edges to be exceptional ..but its a different kind of shooting . For example I am focusing off the screen viewing the edge for sharpness when I need it .

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I didn't already have the Leica 19, I would probably pick up the Zeiss 18 and save all the trouble. But I would love to see a comparison between the two on the D800/e - anyone out there have both??? I'm going to get back to work on my Leica 19 next week and see if I can't get it to work. I'll let you know.
    +1

I would love to try the Leica 19mm.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay if I got a Leica 19mm version 2. Is this what I want to order

Description Item price Quantity Amount
    Leica-Nikon special bayonet with ten holes
    Variants: Full & Half F-stops
    €75.00
    quantity|
    €75.00

Dandelion Chip for Nikon, glued on a Leitax mount
    €37.00
    quantity|
    €37.00
    Item total:€112.00
    Shipping and handling: €10.00
    Total:€122.00 EUR
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends which Leica R Elmarit 19/2.8.

If second version 11 258 - 11 329, then it needs shaving for Nikon Fx.