Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 201 to 232 of 232

Thread: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

  1. #201
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Varese Italy
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    I see no vignetting. But possibly only half of my sight is working here...

  2. #202
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  3. #203
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Lens came . Da anyone have a extra rear element. Just joking

    Modified, painted and waiting for Leitax mount, its going to be a very very very long weekend and longer. Damn what do I do now. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  4. #204
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Okay my patience has run out. Bought a cheap 25 dollar mount from amazon just to use until my Leitax gets here. I also modified mine like Rogers that Dag did for him on his 19mm . What I did was file down the other ring to meet the inner ring all around than just filed down the inner ring a little on the top. I did a nice job but the permanent marker I used did a okay job. It's like it should be primed first than apply the marker. Interested to hear what others may have used.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  5. #205
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Not a Leica but has anyone tried the Nikon 105 2.8 VR Macro? I'm trying to decide between the Nikon and the Zeiss 100f2 at twice the price. I've been very impressed with the sharpness of the 60mm Nikon G Macro. All opinions welcome.

  6. #206
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    D800/E and Leica R Lenses


    Steve, 5 years ago Ray Harms compared those two lenses, see post # 82 - 99 in this thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/12...html#post19322

    I for one have the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF and it is indeed a great optic.
    Still, today I think I would just go with the Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 G IF-ED VR for exactly the reasons Ray mentioned in his comparison back in 2008: autofocus, 1:1, VR and price.
    I should point out that I have actually never tried the Micro Nikkor myself, I have just seen many fine results from others using that lens.

    You can see some of my macro shots with the Zeiss ZF 100mm in this old macro thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/18...tml#post235900

    And now back to Leica

  7. #207
    Senior Member BSEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay my patience has run out. Bought a cheap 25 dollar mount from amazon just to use until my Leitax gets here. I also modified mine like Rogers that Dag did for him on his 19mm . What I did was file down the other ring to meet the inner ring all around than just filed down the inner ring a little on the top. I did a nice job but the permanent marker I used did a okay job. It's like it should be primed first than apply the marker. Interested to hear what others may have used.
    Birchwood Casey Flat Matt Black Touch up Pen for Gun or Rifle dit the job for me.. No priming and the matte black kills refleksion

    sell online, Ebay - Amazone ..and more..... and your local gun shop might have it to..

  8. #208
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Perfect thank you . Will check amazon
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  9. #209
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Okay I got this cheap mount and I got it working but the aperture sticks with the arm to the mount which I'm not concerned about. I can get to about F11. I really just want to see if everything is working until my Leitax mount comes. My real worry is I filed down some more as it was hitting. Now I'm at the point where I can almost get to infinity before it hits. I may just leave it alone until I get the Leitax mount as I'm not sure I want to file anymore or I need to with the Leitax. Ill give it some marker on it see where it's hitting and go from there. But I took a break from it until morning. Don't want to rush this.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  10. #210
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Well hate to admit but I was within minutes of having it ready but I snapped the internal connector on the focusing ring. Called DAG and its being FedX ed as we speak to fix that for me. Its my fault it got a little tight from grinding which BTW was FAR MORE than I had to do with my Canons and it got a little too tight and stupid me I forced the issue. **** happens to good people. Color me stupid on this one.

    Thanks Roger for your help
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  11. #211
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Anyone tried the 80-200 f/4 R converted on a 800/e? I have the lens and instead of springing for the Nikon version was wondering about how the Leica performs. I also have the 100 apo, 180 apo 3.4 and 50 cron that I'm thinking of converting.

  12. #212
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well hate to admit but I was within minutes of having it ready but I snapped the internal connector on the focusing ring. Called DAG and its being FedX ed as we speak to fix that for me. Its my fault it got a little tight from grinding which BTW was FAR MORE than I had to do with my Canons and it got a little too tight and stupid me I forced the issue. **** happens to good people. Color me stupid on this one.

    Thanks Roger for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I got this cheap mount and I got it working but the aperture sticks with the arm to the mount which I'm not concerned about. I can get to about F11. I really just want to see if everything is working until my Leitax mount comes. My real worry is I filed down some more as it was hitting. Now I'm at the point where I can almost get to infinity before it hits. I may just leave it alone until I get the Leitax mount as I'm not sure I want to file anymore or I need to with the Leitax. Ill give it some marker on it see where it's hitting and go from there. But I took a break from it until morning. Don't want to rush this.
    Hi Guy, I had the same issue with one of my Leitex conversions. I just filed the lever down a bit until it didn't rub on the mount.

  13. #213
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Yes when it comes back that's what I plan to do. Ill switch with the Leitax but save that mount maybe for a 28mm which I would like to get also. Just a little grinding is all it would take for the aperture connection no to rub on the inside mount.

    I also bought a Dremel which I always wanted to have around the house anyway
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  14. #214
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Varese Italy
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    When I had the same problem, I preferred to grind the mount.

  15. #215
    Senior Member BSEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yes when it comes back that's what I plan to do.

    I also bought a Dremel which I always wanted to have around the house anyway
    Thats right, never go down on the gear...

  16. #216
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    When I had the same problem, I preferred to grind the mount.
    Now that you mention it, I may have done that first but the mount material is much stronger than the little arm material I think. Hard steel mount vs. soft aluminum lever. The amount you need to remove is so minimal I don't think it would effect the operation of the lever.

  17. #217
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    I have the Leitax mount now, just waiting for Don to fix my focusing connection and ill see what needs to be done. Hope I get it soon , got 2 gigs in Vegas next Sunday and like to bring it with me to test.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  18. #218
    Senior Member viablex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Looking forward to the pics and your thoughts on. This rig

  19. #219
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Looking forward to getting it back. Its a unique piece that broke but DAG said very soon. He has a rush on it for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  20. #220
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Just got word its done and on its way home overnight so Ill have it for my Vegas trip. Yahooooooo.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  21. #221
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Lens is here and have to say Don at DAG did a amazing job. He not only custom built the focusing arm back but its like butter and right on the mark. He also took apart the retaining ring and shroud and rebuilt both pieces . It looks like it was never touched. He also filed down the aperture arm on the inside so it don't rub against the mount. I just replaced the mount with the Leitax mount with the chip. Interesting the programming of that chip and need to ask a question. I got it set as a 2.8 lens and 19mm. But when I shoot at F8 it still says 2.8. I'm thinking it does not have a clue that I stopped down since its mechanical . I'm assuming that would be correct .
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  22. #222
    Senior Member BSEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Lens is here and have to say Don at DAG did a amazing job. He not only custom built the focusing arm back but its like butter and right on the mark. He also took apart the retaining ring and shroud and rebuilt both pieces . It looks like it was never touched. He also filed down the aperture arm on the inside so it don't rub against the mount. I just replaced the mount with the Leitax mount with the chip. Interesting the programming of that chip and need to ask a question. I got it set as a 2.8 lens and 19mm. But when I shoot at F8 it still says 2.8. I'm thinking it does not have a clue that I stopped down since its mechanical . I'm assuming that would be correct .
    That's right - It's just using the max aperture to do the mat on exposure, there is no connection between the chip and the lens - and no mekanik coupling between the lens and camerabody - as the AI and up Nikon lens have. Thats why you just can set the non cpu settings on your D800E, as put on the chip. But now you don't have to remember to set the Non CPU setting every time you put the Leica lens on.. Comfort..

  23. #223
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    I find myself always forgetting to dig into the menus and set it for the Leica lens I'm using. It's a new discipline I've yet to make a habit. It's wonderful that Lightroom has profiles for the Leica R's, as long as you remember which lens you were using.

  24. #224
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by BSEH View Post
    That's right - It's just using the max aperture to do the mat on exposure, there is no connection between the chip and the lens - and no mekanik coupling between the lens and camerabody - as the AI and up Nikon lens have. Thats why you just can set the non cpu settings on your D800E, as put on the chip. But now you don't have to remember to set the Non CPU setting every time you put the Leica lens on.. Comfort..
    Why I bought the chip. I'm lazy but I did notice it works with matrix metering. Exposures seem good too. I'm heading to Vegas and testing it out along the way. Hope to post something tonight.

    Thanks . Just wanted to be sure I was not missing anything in programming. I do like to see at least it's the 19mm when processing. I use C1 to process and need to check PT lens plug in for this lens
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  25. #225
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    BTW shooting I found it no hassle to using stop down again. Especially something like a wide like this since I will be mostly tripod bound anyway with live view. I'm thinking the 28 is next. If I remember correctly they are all the same lens formulas just different hoods and such. I need to check into this first though . I do love the latest version with built in hood but have yet to see one at a reasonable price.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  26. #226
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    BTW shooting I found it no hassle to using stop down again. Especially something like a wide like this since I will be mostly tripod bound anyway with live view. I'm thinking the 28 is next. If I remember correctly they are all the same lens formulas just different hoods and such. I need to check into this first though . I do love the latest version with built in hood but have yet to see one at a reasonable price.
    The latest version of the Elmarit-R 28mm has a different optical formula from the previous one: 8/7 against 8/8 and a floating element.

  27. #227
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Okay great wanted to make sure before I looked for one. Just shot a bunch of test images on the 19. Now for some driving fun with it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  28. #228
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Miami - New York
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    When I was hunting for my Leica R's I only purchased the latest versions of each lens. I believe if they are ROM versions, they are the latest. Stan Tamarkin was my best source of lenses and info in my quest a few years ago.

  29. #229
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    Here the images. Any comments welcome!



    Ron,
    Did you shave your lens so the mirror wouldn't hit on your D800E?

  30. #230
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Ron:

    On your 28mm, the rear shroud should just unscrew. Underneath it is the cam that works the focus shifting of the rear group.
    Rob,

    Were you refering to Ron's image of his 28mm lens? The part that was hitting the mirror; does that unscrew? Can it be used without that part?

  31. #231
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    Many thanks Rob! That did the trick - much appreciated. I have now ground down the shroud and will paint it tomorrow. Photo to follow soon.

    I owe you a glass (or cup) of your favorite beverage!
    Ron,

    Finally saw this post. Have you posted a picture of the finished shroud?

  32. #232
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

    I have aquired a 100 APO lens. Have questions about focusing. At minimum focus distance and using live view the DOF is extremely narrow even after I stop down to f/16. I'm not use to a lens having a long focus throw. Focusing is very touchy. Is this normal for this lens? I also had to AF fine tune below -15 before focus comfirmation light in view finder confirmed. It seems this lens has very critical focusing adjustments. Do you have to stack photos to have a good DOF on subjects 1:2 mag? Would like to know other views on focusing with this lens. This is my 1st leica lens converted with a Leitax adapter.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •