The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

ShooterSteve

Just a few follow ups . I sent my 19/2.8 v2 to DAG along with my D800E and for a very small charge he changed the mount and shaved the lens . Its so perfect that you would have to know what to look for to see it was modified . Highly recommended approach

Now I am after the 35 1.4 summilux but david at Leitax tells me ..while it works with shaving on a D700 ..it may not on the D800. This is disappointing as I am really looking hard for the 35 summilux . I don t want to get into shaving the mirror . Anyone have any experience ?
That's interesting. I wonder why a 35mm lens would have a rear element so far back? My 28 2.8 and 35 f2 worked on all my cameras without a problem. Haven't tried the 35 1.4 though. My 35 f2 is a superb lens BTW.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
That's interesting. I wonder why a 35mm lens would have a rear element so far back? My 28 2.8 and 35 f2 worked on all my cameras without a problem. Haven't tried the 35 1.4 though. My 35 f2 is a superb lens BTW.
I received a note from CartsenW over at FM ..he has converted a 35 1.4 shaved for a D800 . He indicated that the 35 requires a little more shaving but that it works great .

Now to find that 35 1.4 R ? where ?

Ron Pfister

Hi all,

I love my Leica-R lenses on the D800E, and I'm looking for a few more. I would appreciate any feedback on the following:

- Elmarit-R 2.8/19: how difficult is it to shave the rear element to clear the D800E's mirror?
- Elmarit-R 2.8/28: will this lens work on the D800 without modification?
- Summicron-R 2/35: how does this lens compare to the Zeiss Distagon 2/35 ZF.2 at medium apertures (landscape work - I'm mostly interested in corner performance)?
- Which Leica-R standard zoom (i.e. wide to short tele) would you prefer for landscape work (mostly used at medium apertures)?

Edit: I should add that I'm referring to the latest version of each lens with the first three items.

Many TIA for any feedback!

Ron

Last edited:

ShooterSteve

Hi Ron,

I have all three of the lenses you are wondering about. See my earlier posts on converting the 19mm 2.8. It took quite a bit of patience and grinding to get it to work. Somewhere I heard about a Leica service company or tech who does the conversions. I would have taken that route had I known about that first as I probably took a year off my life using a file just millimeters from the rear element of a $3000 lens that is out of production!

The 28 2.8 and 35 f2 work perfectly with no mods necessary other than the mount conversion. I have not really critically analyzed the optical performance other than to say the images look fantastic. I used all of them on my Canons for a few years so I'm used to the performance. I don't have a Zeiss to compare them to, although I always wondered how they would compare. I've thought about the Zeiss 15 as the Leica is way too expensive if you can even find one.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
DAG will shave the 19 elmarit . His work is so smooth you may not notice (as compared to doing it yourself ). I had to send him both the lens and the D800E . I have a 35/1.4 thats even harder to shave that he will do next .

The 28 and the 35/2 both work without shaving . The Leitax website is the best resource for conversion of the R glass to a nikon mount . I buy the chipped version of the mounts as it provides a way to calibrate focus confirmation (my body was excellent ..lucky).

Ron Pfister

Thanks for your feedback, Roger and Steve!

@Steve: looking at Sergio's image above, I'd say this is within my comfort zone (i.e. not too close to the lens). You have the ROM-version, right? Does yours look similar with regard to the distance between the rear element and the end of it's surrounding metal ring?

@Roger: you mentioned field curvature of the 2.8/28 earlier in this thread. Is this limited to the corners, or do the edges on the short sides of the frame suffer from it, as well?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ron

I shoot primarily street and so I rarely look closely at the edges at infinity . For near to mid distances I am finding the edges to be exceptional ..but its a different kind of shooting . For example I am focusing off the screen viewing the edge for sharpness when I need it .

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If I didn't already have the Leica 19, I would probably pick up the Zeiss 18 and save all the trouble. But I would love to see a comparison between the two on the D800/e - anyone out there have both??? I'm going to get back to work on my Leica 19 next week and see if I can't get it to work. I'll let you know.
+1

I would love to try the Leica 19mm.

Guy Mancuso

Okay if I got a Leica 19mm version 2. Is this what I want to order

Description Item price Quantity Amount
Leica-Nikon special bayonet with ten holes
Variants: Full & Half F-stops
€75.00
quantity|
€75.00

Dandelion Chip for Nikon, glued on a Leitax mount
€37.00
quantity|
€37.00
Item total:€112.00
Shipping and handling: €10.00
Total:€122.00 EUR

Alon

Not Available
It depends which Leica R Elmarit 19/2.8.

If second version 11 258 - 11 329, then it needs shaving for Nikon Fx.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

€75.00
quantity|
€75.00

€37.00
quantity|
€37.00
You have this correct . Be aware that unless you pay the extra 15euro for express shipping it can take a month to get the mount .

Guy Mancuso

It depends which Leica R Elmarit 19/2.8.

If second version 11 258 - 11 329, then it needs shaving for Nikon Fx.
Thanks. I have done this before when I used canon years ago. I actually shaved the shroud on the 19mm but eventually shaved the mirror on one of my Canons . This stuff is old hat for us Leica/ canon folks. Lol

As far as your PMs to me . Let me just say if I do not respond to every post on this forum than sorry I am very busy and do not read every thread. With that I get another insulting PM from you. You will be banned according to our insult rules. Lets be clear here no one insults me ever on this forum nor will I stand for anyone insulting anyone else. Read the rules before you post here . This is GetDPI and it will not tolerate insulting members. I'm not only a member but one of the founding fathers here. You barking at the wrong guy bud.

Guy Mancuso

Let me add this as I put my admin hat on here. These are the rules and we strictly abide by them as moderators. This is real and not a joke, we will take action.

1) Keep your discussions polite, fun and on topic. In short, act like you would at a friend's dinner party. Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well.

BSEH

€75.00
quantity|
€75.00

€37.00
quantity|
€37.00
(consider the plastic corner for hard stop to - annoying when the apperturering go pass the stops. And i don't know why you order the Dandelion chip for the D800E - unless you don't wanna set the Non CPU in camera).

Guy Mancuso

Good point but would I still aperture in efix data. I use C1 also and wanted to make sure it reads it. The stop would be nice as I do count clicks as I shoot. This is getting expensive . Lol

Guess I forget and wish I still had these damn lenses. I even had the 35-70 2.8 at 6k. Sick sick person I am