Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Shelby Lewis

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Hey everyone,

It may be too early to ask, but how many of you are using R lenses with the D800. I'm interested in finding lenses with a bit more bite and slightly different color rendition than some of the Nikon glass and the R's seem to fit the bill. Tim, I know you're using the 50 Cron-R to good effect... it's on my list.

Any comments on the 90 Macro, the 100 APO-Macro, the 35/2, and the 135 Elmarit?

Others?

I'd love to see samples, no matter how "mundane" you may think they seem.

Thanks!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

LOL... I've bought a R 35-70 F4 for the D800, but the camera might be a few weeks away...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

R35-70 F4, I'm getting focus confirm light which I'm very glad to have.
    I was in a hurry tonight to get the adapter fitted. Not Leitax but a different version. Got a friend to do it as I did not have the smaller screwdrivers. I'm thinking something more needs to be known/done. The aperature at F4 is F4. But to change to F8 need to take lens off and alter from inside lens mount, can change it there if that makes sense. So by moving to F22, then putting lens on camera, then changing to F8 on aperature ring it does work. I've got to check to see if I'm getting infinity focus.

So Queenstown Winter Festival started tonight, goes for 10 days. Nothing too flash so far, some band pictures... resized only, nothing else.

Love the spirit level. ISO 100, 4 sec, F4. Focus is just past half way along of building on left. Resized only.

250th, F4, 6400.

Holly Arrowsmith, she was a surprise, a very good singer... 350th F4 6400.

500th F4 6400

Focusing is approximate, front singers, and mostly all at 70mm.
    I'm thinking wow quite a lot... the lens has not been added as a non cpu lens, these are resized only, landscape mode, nothing else done.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thinking I need to put back the metal collar in place for aperature to work proper... live and learn...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby,
    I have a few, an I am happy to have.
    Elmarit 19 type 2, summicron 35 type 1 (1972), elmarit 35 type 2, summilux 50 type 2, elmarit 60 macro.

Let's start with the summicron 35: simply fantastic. Delicate, light and transparent colors, evident and convincing tridimensionality generated by
    the contrast between in focus and out of focus area. A few "mundane" shots:
    I got camera and this lens 2 days ago.

DSC_0068 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Continue.......

Sergio

DSC_0052 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

DSC_0026 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have auto aperture or strictly manual? What adapters are available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Manual.I use Leitax adapters.
    Again the summicron 35 full open as the preceding examples.

DSC_0072 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

elmarit 60 macro: extreme resolution corner to corner (strongly ouresolves the sensor)

_DSC0120 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

To see the full size jpg, go to the view all sizes page on flickr.

Measured resolution is limited by sensor at 100 line pairs mm.

_DSC0142 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sergio lovisolo View Post
    elmarit 60 macro: extreme resolution corner to corner (strongly ouresolves the sensor)

To see the full size jpg, go to the view all sizes page on flickr.

Measured resolution is limited by sensor at 100 line pairs mm.
    Thanks for the test chart!!!
    I have just Leitaxed my 2 macro lens: 60mm elmarit and 100mm elmarit APO.
    Killer on D800!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby,

The R lenses to seek for the way you shoot are the 35/1.4 and 80/1.4 ... nothing before or since equals this duo for their rendering of light and unique character ... trust me on this.

Question for those using converted lenses ... with the focus confirmation, how accurate are the faster aperture R lenses for focus? While I doubt it, can the in-camera micro focus adjust be manually utilized, or does it have to be a CPU lens?

Are there just dumb adapters to use R lenses without altering the lens mount?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

The Leitax.com website is the best source on converting Leica R lenses to a Nikon F mount . Marc when I purchased your D3X a few years back I converted 3-4 Leica R lenses to the Nikon mount. The process is shown in detail at Leitax.com. Since I converted my lenses they came out with a chip to communicate the focal length and aperture . I am not sure how this works on the Nikon.

I converted the 80/1.4 but the 35 1.4 could not be converted because of clearance issues. Some other lenses with mirror clearance issues could be converted but not reversed back to an R mount .

I tested the 80 1.4 on the D800E and its incredibly accurate to focus manually . (this is a function of the calibration of the camera screen ....if its sharp on the screen is it sharp on the sensor ..my D800E is nicely calibrated) . You can not use AF lens calibration adjustments on Manual lenses so this is critical. My test is to try a newspaper at a 45 agree angle and nail the first letter in a line of type . The key to this type of focusing is to look not at the target directly but at the letters in front and in back of the target ..when they look the same ..you have the dof spread evenly . The focus confirmation is close but will tolerate some range of acceptable “in focus “ . In good light I trust my eyes ....in weak light I use the focus confirmation and bracket my focus or stop down.

Still usability will be in the eye of the beholder . Metering is still stop down style ..so the lens is most usable from 1.4-2.8 . Manual focus requires hand eye coordination that may not be well practiced since the move to AF . Your speed and accuracy is based on a skill not a technology .

The results are worth it ...no other lens I have tried on the Nikon bodies produces the smooth bokeh of the 80 1.4 . It is most visible in the rolloff from sharp to unsharp which is very smooth . I have the 85 1.4G and had the Zf 85 1.4 for a while ..neither compare for shooting wide open . Paired with a D800/E body this lens is something special .

The benefit is the beauty of the rendering wide open ..the challenge is your ability to accurately focus without ruining your rhythm .

I also converted a pre asph 67mm 180 2.8 which was fabulous stopped down to f5.6 (which you can do in Florida ) but soft wide open and a 500/8 R mirror which can be a challenge in itself ....but is also sometimes the only way to get the shot . At D800/E with the 500/8 (has a T stop of 11) used at ISO3200 covers night baseball . I have not committed to converting my Leica R telephotos ....don t worry the Leica R body will return .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The R lenses to seek for the way you shoot are the 35/1.4 and 80/1.4 ... nothing before or since equals this duo for their rendering of light and unique character ... trust me on this.
    Please post some examples Marc and Roger.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow the examples of the 60mm elmarit are making me rethink my plans for the Zeiss 50mm Makro...

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Leitax adapter flanges. The 50 Cron-R was a very easy conversion because the flange mounting screws were easy to remove. In contrast, the 21mm and 28mm Zeiss C/Y were difficult due to thread sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Are there just dumb adapters to use R lenses without altering the lens mount?
    If there were any they wouldn't allow infinity focus. The R mount register is 0.5mm longer than the F mount register but the R flange is wider than the F flange so the R bayonet lugs would not fit inside the F mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Summilux r 50 bokč full open.

DSC_0031 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

And at F/2. Slightly cropped to correct rotation.

DSC_0032 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr
    Last edited by sergio lovisolo; 23rd June 2012 at 21:50. Reason: photo added

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, I'm out of town so can't dig into the archives to show some R lens stuff.

For character and OOF rendering, the R 35, 50, and 80 Luxes are the best 35mm lenses I've ever used except maybe the rarer Contax 55 and 85 f/1.2 Anniversary lenses that Zeiss made in Germany.

There was one model or version of the 60 macro that was some sort of super lens in terms of resolving power ... can't recall which one.

If Leica had only held out a little longer to make a FF version of the DMR ... just so we could use those lenses ... sigh.

My time has passed, and my eyes just love AF now, so I like to keep my peepers happy ... in that respect, the S2 was a God sent.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sergio, and you are not at all considering selling your R 19 Elmarit?, I could have picked it up in Italy in July
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thorkil, I bought the d800 especially for the 19, and the 19 for the d800...
    (what a wonderful place for your holiday!)
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The elmarit 19 also has a bokč

_DSC0152 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

and a detail

_DSC0152c by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thorkil, I bought the d800 especially for the 19, and the 19 for the d800...
    (what a wonderful place for your holiday!)
    Sergio
    , yes I just had that suspicion, but anyway, I just had to give it a try..
    and no I'm just not satisfied with my 14-24 on the 800E, even after pro-adjustment, on the D3 it was ok, but not now. And I guess even a 21mm Zeis would not be as good as the R19 Elmarit.
    Yes, a good place to stay (San Zeno d.M. just north of Garda), my wife speak it (italien) I don’t, but love to stay behind and smiling listen to the lovely music in your language (while building up my inner passive vocabulary, without daring)
    Thorkil
    ps. And I can see it even are able to reveal that the flowers are ever-lasting..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does the new Leica 19mm work on the D800E without any modifications to the lens other than the mount change?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Does the new Leica 19mm work on the D800E without any modifications to the lens other than the mount change?
    Great question Robert . Thought about that lens when folks brought up Leica R glass . Actually if any that is the one I thought would be worth the effort. If I had to guess the shroud would have to go but love to see if it did or not. I would maybe ask the leitax folks on that one.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Great question Robert . Thought about that lens when folks brought up Leica R glass . Actually if any that is the one I thought would be worth the effort. If I had to guess the shroud would have to go but love to see if it did or not. I would maybe ask the leitax folks on that one.
    I noticed Sergio was using one in his post a few posts above. I am not sure if there is a shroud to remove, as I think the rear element is held in with the metal ring that hits the mirror on the Canons.

I have a bunch of Leitax mounts coming in the next week or so. I hadn't planned on converting the 19mm, but if if will work, I will convert it. My 19mm is a particularily sharp sample. I remember even in the film days the slides or negatives on the light table would pop from this lens.

This is the 19mm on the DMR with a vertical stitch pano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep us posted on that. I thought Sergio's was version 1 but not sure
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The shroud must be partially filed. I did the operation without difficulty.

_DSC1262 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Lens can be protected with a circle of plastic material and paper tape used to avoid that metal dust penetrate in the lens.
    I think this is the best wide angle for the 18-21 range ever made. Distortion
    is identical to that of the Zeiss 21 2,8 ZF2, profiles available on PS:
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Version 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Sergio, its all coming back to me now. I remember filing mine down now , it was the 35 1.4 I think i did some work on the shroud. Geez this brings me back to my Canon days. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think I am going to try modding my lens. The rear element is on a very fine helicoid and if you stress it in the process it is an expensive repair. I am talking from experience

Too bad the modern SLRs didn't have a mirror lockup where the mirror stayed up and you could use live view with a lens like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we should all go out and buy a D800e or two and then put Leica R glass on it and tell everyone else what they are missing. You know, just for old times sake. Maybe Guy should start a thread called the D800e Bible.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I liked my Leica 19, and it was a godsend for Canon cameras at the time, I think the Zeiss 18 is a better lens in every regard - except for a minor size difference. (The Leica 19 being slightly smaller.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It maybe The case Jan. I'm reluctant to even go here on Leica R glass since my Zeiss lenses 18mm, 25f2 and 35f2 are just so good. Just not seeing the point. The biggest hole in Nikon is no 135 or 200 in like a 2.8 flavor. Yes the 200 f2 is killer and I owned it but not a general lens to have in the bag all the time. Lets not talk zooms here. I keep avoiding the 70-200 2.8 but I'm not having much of a choice.

Post Thanks / Like

The Zeiss and Leica R lens have very different "character" for lack of a better word. Which set you enjoy will typically be based on the aesthetic you are looking for in your photographs .

The Zeiss have very strong contrast and produce exceptional color saturation . You can just look at their website and see plenty examples of how zeiss glass performs . Any image that benefits from the rendering of fine details will look great with Zeiss glass .

The Leica R is well represented by the fine photographs already posted . Leica excels in the midtones ....look at the flowers ..you can see the detail tone separation in the petals . The colors are pure and accurate and the bokeh has an exceptionally smooth roll off .

Look at Rob s photograph of the trees ....with a Zeiss 18 the blacks would be blacker and the highlights stronger ....basically higher macro contrast . It might even appear sharper ....but would it be better ? Thats in the eye of the photographer .

Here is an easy comparison of the different systems ....look at the 85 s . The Leica R 80 1.4 is well know for the beauty of its bokeh ...an artist brush wide open . At 5.6 is very sharp . The 85 1.4 Zeiss has an old formulation (so Zeiss has better) but it has bitting contrast and saturated color when shot at distance . At close distance and wide open its neither sharp or with good bokeh. Shot at any distance and stopped down a bit ..it will create stunning sharpness. The 85 1.4 AF Nikkor is the pick of the Nikon glass ....its very sharp and has an excellent balance of resolution,contrast and color saturation . Bokeh is excellent . But many react to the Nikkors lower contrast and color saturation.

The point being that each system has excellent individual lenses ...but they each retain the character of the manufacturer .

What makes the R glass frustrating is that they aren t making any new ones .

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it would make any sense to sell either to get the other... unless the slight difference in focal length and F mount support matters. If I still had the Leica 19 (with modified shroud) I'd probably Leitax it and call it a day. But then I'd probably always end up wondering if I should get the Zeiss...

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The D800 has so much dynamic range though that contrast, saturation, and tonal scale are very malleable in post. Once process adjustments are done there is still some remaining difference in color, with the Leica picking up green-blues more strongly (as is pretty typical for Leica glass) - dark blues appearing almost luminescent - but apart from that which is a pretty subjective preference, there's not a whole lot of difference.

But yeah, Zeiss glass calls for lightening shadows a little in post IMO. But so do the top-shelf Nikons...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: D800/E and Leica R Lenses

My enthusiastic declarations in the previus post about the quality of the elmarit 19 are sustained not only by subiective appreciation of bokč, color nuances etc.
    but also by resolution tests.
    I have to say that this quality level, in particular corner to corner sharpness,is extraordinary, expecially full open at 2,8.
    Limit of the d800 sensor is approximately at 100 line pairs/mm.
    The 19 out resolves the sensor center and corners at 5,6 and at 2,8 it out resolves the sensor at center and most part of field, while it reaches 90 lpm
    at extreme corners.

Test targets:
    [email protected],8

[email protected],8 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

[email protected],8

[email protected],8 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

[email protected],6

[email protected],6 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

The following image taken at 5,6 is available on flickr as a full size jpg.
    (house is rounded,following street contour)

_DSC0260 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio
    Last edited by sergio lovisolo; 29th October 2012 at 00:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Leitax mounts arrived Monday and I have been playing with some of my R glass. I saved the best for last. The 400mm f2.8 APO can be converted using the Leitax mounts. It requires the ten hole mount and there needs to be some adjustments to the Leitax mount where the aperture follower lever moves in a cutout. Some of the R lenses, such as this lens and the 105-280mm have a slightly thicker lever than the other Leica lenses and it binds in the stock Leitax mount.

I haven't had a chance to modify the Leitax mount, but it fit fine on the 1.4x Extender. Here is the combo, giving me a 560mm f4 lens on the D800E. From initial testing it seems very sharp, as it was on the R cameras.

Excuse the photo quality, it was shot on my cell phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    The D800 has so much dynamic range though that contrast, saturation, and tonal scale are very malleable in post. Once process adjustments are done there is still some remaining difference in color, with the Leica picking up green-blues more strongly (as is pretty typical for Leica glass) - dark blues appearing almost luminescent - but apart from that which is a pretty subjective preference, there's not a whole lot of difference.

But yeah, Zeiss glass calls for lightening shadows a little in post IMO. But so do the top-shelf Nikons...
    Its not as simple as fixing things in post ..but there are two dimensions to consider . When I had the D3x and the DMR ...I could test both R glass and nikkor primes on the Nikon sensor and then compare to the DMR with R glass . Both the sensor and the lens affect the resolution,contrast,saturation and tone separation (as does post processing).

The DMR had better color ....cleaner separation of the colors and a real depth that was not present with the Nikon . (it had a lot of others issues ..but the DMR had great color ).

So move to the Nikon ...with the R glass you could see the character which I described above . To my taste (and thats clearly subjective) the R glass was pretty great . The Nikon glass was a mixed situation ...the newer nano coated primes and even the new 70-200/2.8 were big improvements .

Its in the midtones that you ..like a red shirt , hair , the ocean etc ..that you can see the differences . Maybe its my lack of technique in post processing but I find it hard to match the .NEF files made with Nikon lenses to anything produced by a Leica DNG .

The Leica R glass on the D800E is the closest I can get . But I find it very difficult to match the Nikkors ,the Leica R and the Zeiss glass in a collection of images .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These were shot on a D800E, using a Leica 400mm f2.8 APO-Telyt and a 1.4x APO extender. I put a Leitax mount on the extender, which allowed me to mount the large 400mm APO. If was shot at f3.5 on the lens, giving a 560mm f4, shot at f4.8 or what ever the half stop between f4 and f5.6.

It took a few tries at throwing and fetching the bumper before I could get any in focus. This is a series at the 4.5fps the D800E shoots.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    So move to the Nikon ...with the R glass you could see the character which I described above .
    See photos above

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=robsteve;465348]My Leitax mounts arrived Monday and I have been playing with some of my R glass. I saved the best for last. The 400mm f2.8 APO can be converted using the Leitax mounts. It requires the ten hole mount and there needs to be some adjustments to the Leitax mount where the aperture follower lever moves in a cutout. Some of the R lenses, such as this lens and the 105-280mm have a slightly thicker lever than the other Leica lenses and it binds in the stock Leitax mount.

I haven't had a chance to modify the Leitax mount, but it fit fine on the 1.4x Extender. Here is the combo, giving me a 560mm f4 lens on the D800E. From initial testing it seems very sharp, as it was on the R cameras.

Excuse the photo quality, it was shot on my cell phone.

Rob

Did you get the chipped versions of the mounts ? I have been using the mounts for a few years ..but I know he keeps improving the design . I am adding chips to my existing mounts . This is required to tune the Focus Confirmation for manual lenses on the D800E.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Rob

Did you get the chipped versions of the mounts ? I have been using the mounts for a few years ..but I know he keeps improving the design . I am adding chips to my existing mounts . This is required to tune the Focus Confirmation for manual lenses on the D800E.
    I went for just the plain mounts. I suppose if I did it again, I would get the chipped mounts as I find the selection of lenses on the menu system pretty cumbersome.

I am probably going to order a few more mounts for my other R lenses and will get a few with chips.

I am not quite sure what the chip provides other than the exif information. I know it is needed on the lower level Nikons to get auto exposure.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

I went for just the plain mounts. I suppose if I did it again, I would get the chipped mounts as I find the selection of lenses on the menu system pretty cumbersome.

I am probably going to order a few more mounts for my other R lenses and will get a few with chips.

I am not quite sure what the chip provides other than the exif information. I know it is needed on the lower level Nikons to get auto exposure.

Robert
    Rob

The Nikon AF fine tuning has a default setting that allows you to adjust the AF sensor to the capturing sensor . If the focus confirmation in the camera seems to be off (back or front) ..you adjust it by using the default setting .

This is independent of the settings for MF lenses which are required to tell the camera the maximum aperture of the lens and the focal length .

These are totally separate settings and do not affect the calibration adjustments for AF lenses in any way .

You need a chipped lens (AI-S) to be able to make use of the adjustment .

Obviously if you are focusing off the screen only makes no difference .

So the Nikon chip does not contain any EXIF information .

You can add these to your mounts after the fact ...not cheap 27euro .

The other small issue is the need for a different mount if you want 1/2 stop increments and on some lenses a small plastic stopper to keep from going past infinity .

I will have the new stuff in a few weeks and will report out what I find .

Thumbs up for Jack who pointed out the default calibration method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I realized I have both a 50mm Summicron and a 50mm f1.8 Nikkor, so I put a Leitax mount on the Summicron and made a few test shots. These were done on a tripod and MLU, focusing with live view on the lattice near the base of the dock. This is the f2.8 comparison in the center. The Summicron is also better across the field. I will post more samples later when I get the time.

Here is the Nikkor:

The Summicron:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger,
    I tested focus confirmation with 10 r lenses, and with all it was quite spot on and consistent, so probably you would want just one chipped adapter just in case.
    The plastic stopper is for aperture, but in practice it works only on the full aperture side. On the side full closed lens, or the lens itself stop rotation of the ring, or it continues rotation notwhistanding the stop.

Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

I went for just the plain mounts. I suppose if I did it again, I would get the chipped mounts as I find the selection of lenses on the menu system pretty cumbersome. (...)

Rob, we can assign the Fn button + command dials for quick access to the Non-CPU lens setting (though we still have to remember to do it when changing manual focus lenses)

MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> f Controls >> f4 Assign Fn button >> Fn button + command dials >> Non-CPU: Choose non-CPU lens number >> OK

In step # 5 make sure you choose Fn button + command dials (not Fn button press)

Personally I like this handling method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would think the calibration would be more important for the AF lenses where it is a calibration of the timing of the AF to compensate for AF lag and just plain drive train lash/freeplay on the older lenses.

From my experience using live view, it is a very fine difference between in and out of focus and I doubt if the cheaper AF motor driven lenses could do it consistently. The lenses with the wave motor probably are better, but still need to be tuned to make up for the mass and etc that has to be started and stopped and the time it takes to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steen, I think it may have actually been setup that way by the previous owner.

This change to Nikon is taking a bit of getting used to. On the R9, most of the settings were just switches. The Nikon command dial locations are a bit cramped for my big hands, in particular the thumb one. On the Canon 1D series, it was a dial where the af jog switch on the Nikon is and it was a more natural position for the thumb.

The lens release is taking a bit of getting practise too. This is one spot where Leica had a better design. The release button is on the other side of the body and you could securely hold the body by the grip and leather hand strap and press the release button with the index finger of the same hand on the grip. You really notice the difference when using large lenses where on Canon and Nikon it is difficult to hold the lens and press the release with the same hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post

Rob, we can assign the Fn button + command dials for quick access to the Non-CPU lens setting (though we still have to remember to do it when changing manual focus lenses)

MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> f Controls >> f4 Assign Fn button >> Fn button + command dials >> Non-CPU: Choose non-CPU lens number >> OK

In step # 5 make sure you choose Fn button + command dials (not Fn button press)

Personally I like this handling method.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger,
    I tested focus confirmation with 10 r lenses, and with all it was quite spot on and consistent, so probably you would want just one chipped adapter just in case.
    The plastic stopper is for aperture, but in practice it works only on the full aperture side. On the side full closed lens, or the lens itself stop rotation of the ring, or it continues rotation notwhistanding the stop.

Sergio
    Its a function of the camera body and at least one of my D800E bodies back focuses . I guess I could complain to nikon but that hasn t been working out so well in the USA .

Thanks for the tips . You photos reminded me of the fabulous look of the R lenses .

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 90mm Summicron any good on the D800?