Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

Well said Dave. Most applications will be about pleasing . I just shot a catalog of clothing and in that case it was about accurate. When tethered I shot one shot with the passport cc did my WB and applied the whole shoot to that WB. Here not only am I getting accurate but also protecting myself if the darn printer screws it up which happens a lot and who do they blame, the photographer. LOL

So sometimes accurate is the way to go for things outside our box.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Going back to the raw converters here and there profiles embedded in them. I processed that image above in NX2 , ACR and there different profiles and in C1 and got a different blue color sky in all of them. So now we have variables with the converters themselves. So you have to find what works best for you. To me C1 rendered this the best and closest matched my IQ 160 which I consider very good on color. So if your a LR user or ACR than you may have to set a style/preset on import of your images and apply a new profile to your images. Once you set that up than you know what your importing is pretty accurate from your testing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

>Accurate and pleasing are many times not the same. But that's okay if it's not critical applications than pleasing to your eye is fine.

That was also my point. If it is critical I shoot a color checker.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

richard.L

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Still sometime struggle with LR 4 colors for the D800. I use Adobe Standard and process 2012.

Did anybody try to change the color calibration data?
    It would be nice if LR could read the PC settings of Nikon camera ...
    that way we could be assured that NX2 and LR would understand the camera settings worked out by the photographer.

if each (of 3) calculator gave you a different value for 2*8/5 ... would you trust math, or the calculator maker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy
    And using colorchecker i C1 gives no problem and is straightforward?
    Any general hints for C1 and the 800E?
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just use the passport in a test shot . Than WB copy setting and apply to one or as many images you want. Very simple process. What I do a lot say I shot 50 images in the same light . I will shoot one with the passport in the frame . WB that image than use the shift key click on the last image , go to edit and copy and apply adjustments. Than a dialog box will come up to select all settings or whatever you want and than okay that. Than deselect by hitting any image in browser side and basically your done. Now many times on that first image I will set sharpness clarity and things like that I want on all of the 50 images. I may do this several times on a whole card as the light changed and than go back and process what I want. C1 can be very fast in workflow once you get the hang of the program. It's a big deal workflow for shooters that shoot lots of images. Many times it could be shooting thousands of images too. I do this at my wives modeling conventions I may shoot 8 thousand images in total so good flow is essential . I also fine tune my WB for stage lights as well so it's dead on the money in camera so I don't have to do this in C1. Plus I shoot on manual exposure and nail it as well so I can avoid those adjustments.

I still am and always will be the thought process of nailing everything I can in camera. Coming from film this is the key learning tool that you can bring into digital that makes life much easier. The I can fix it later thought don't work well with me. Sometimes this old school thinking pays big dividends.

Post Thanks / Like

>I still am and always will be the thought process of nailing everything I can in camera.

Of course valid still today. WB is actually somehow only a metadata tag.

For me changing the WB settings in the camera is more likely to call for issues (tungsten at sun or so). I am more an opportunistic shooter and wait for scene to show up and then I don't want to change too many camera settings.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very true Uwe it's a tag for your raw converter to understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just use the passport in a test shot . Than WB copy setting and apply to one or as many images you want. Very simple process. What I do a lot say I shot 50 images in the same light . I will shoot one with the passport in the frame . WB that image than use the shift key click on the last image , go to edit and copy and apply adjustments. Than a dialog box will come up to select all settings or whatever you want and than okay that. Than deselect by hitting any image in browser side and basically your done. Now many times on that first image I will set sharpness clarity and things like that I want on all of the 50 images. I may do this several times on a whole card as the light changed and than go back and process what I want. C1 can be very fast in workflow once you get the hang of the program. It's a big deal workflow for shooters that shoot lots of images. Many times it could be shooting thousands of images too. I do this at my wives modeling conventions I may shoot 8 thousand images in total so good flow is essential . I also fine tune my WB for stage lights as well so it's dead on the money in camera so I don't have to do this in C1. Plus I shoot on manual exposure and nail it as well so I can avoid those adjustments.

I still am and always will be the thought process of nailing everything I can in camera. Coming from film this is the key learning tool that you can bring into digital that makes life much easier. The I can fix it later thought don't work well with me. Sometimes this old school thinking pays big dividends.
    Than you! Yes I did some of that proces shoting the Whiball and applied them to the other by marking them all (from the same sort of light). And yes you are right C1 is just very simple in that way, and it takes 10 seconds to get it done. But I have never used a Colorchecker passport. Thought it would be a complicated proces the get all the colors spot on(?).
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No it's always going to depend on the profile built into the raw converter all you can do is WB. Now with Lightroom it's diffrent you can actually create a profile in the software. For that procees look at X-rite web site. See if I can find that.

Post Thanks / Like

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport

In general the profiles provided with C1 are very good.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Uwe was just going to post that. Yes I agree C1 is very nice with the D800.

Post Thanks / Like

>Yes I agree C1 is very nice with the D800.

C1 is nice but I like to use LR4 for other reasons.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you both! I thought one could creative profiles in C1 too, but that you can't. Then I'm supposed well off, just shooting my pocket-whiball-card I guess.
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Whibal is fine for WB but the color checker gives you of course more information.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should get very good if not dead on results shooting the Passport and WB. It's a very nice tool to use.

I'm replying to Uwe post above too LR will give you lens profiles for Nikon lenses for lens corrections like distortion for instance. C1 does not but you can do simple barrel and pin corrections in C1. Plus you can do CA and purple fringing as well. But the lens profiles are not built in so that is one downside. Only lens I really have to correct myself right now is the 24 1.4 but it's a simple distortion so I can fix that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for my part: it took me too long (more than 30 minutes...) to try to find out of Lightroom (hhmmm....I know), but I couldn't. But C1 is just so easy and intuitive to handle (must be those danes, I guess....)...but, when you all seems (nearby) to have a hang at LR then I might try to give it a try some more times (and learn to count to 100 once in a while, in the proces...)...perhaps.
    Guy, do you solely use C1? or use LR for posting or....?
    (sorry you were too quick...)

Post Thanks / Like

>I'm replying to Uwe post above too LR will give you lens profiles for Nikon lenses for lens corrections like distortion for instance.

There is quite a bit more. Some you can do in Photoshop but non non-destructively:

- Gradients
    - Brushes
    - Well integrated with good DAM
    - Highlight recovery is better

That said I like the look from C1.

Uwe
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should get very good if not dead on results shooting the Passport and WB. It's a very nice tool to use.

I'm replying to Uwe post above too LR will give you lens profiles for Nikon lenses for lens corrections like distortion for instance. C1 does not but you can do simple barrel and pin corrections in C1. Plus you can do CA and purple fringing as well. But the lens profiles are not built in so that is one downside. Only lens I really have to correct myself right now is the 24 1.4 but it's a simple distortion so I can fix that.
    Okay thank you! For a start I thought that C1 read the lense automatically and did the corrections automatically, but you have to choose the settings, and decide each time I guess. But I guess the camera itself do most of the lense-corrections automatically?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I only use C1 . I don't even have LR on my machine.LOL

Some folks love LR and as Uwe pointed out some have diffrent functions than others and C1 for instance has color editor which is pretty powerful and also local adjustments. Version 7 is supposed to rock our house but no word on its release but from history in this business. Most new announcements are usually around Photokinia

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Okay thank you! For a start I thought that C1 read the lense automatically and did the corrections automatically, but you have to choose the settings, and decide each time I guess. But I guess the camera itself do most of the lense-corrections automatically?
    You ask a great question and something I would like to know for sure myself. I am pretty sure lens corrections are applied for in camera jpegs but I doubt very highly it does for raws. It maybe applying a tag for NX2 and LR to see but to the raw itself I doubt.

Like a answer to this myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You ask a great question and something I would like to know for sure myself. I am pretty sure lens corrections are applied for in camera jpegs but I doubt very highly it does for raws. It maybe applying a tag for NX2 and LR to see but to the raw itself I doubt.

Like a answer to this myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I only use C1 . I don't even have LR on my machine.LOL

Some folks love LR and as Uwe pointed out some have diffrent functions than others and C1 for instance has color editor which is pretty powerful and also local adjustments. Version 7 is supposed to rock our house but no word on its release but from history in this business. Most new announcements are usually around Photokinia
    Okay...thanks...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just one more silly question then: when you are posting here, are you then just scaling down in C1 to the 1200 px in weidth and just ordinary JPEG setting? But do you then paste in with Ctrl V or what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I run a action in Photoshop but you certainly can create a recipe in C1 that is 1200 wide and srgb and also do your hi res tifs at the same time with the diffrent settings like 16 bit Profoto color space and full res. or anything you like. Actually you can do several recipes at the same time. Just click enable all recipes and it will process them in the same output folder. Pretty cool trick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I run a action in Photoshop but you certainly can create a recipe in C1 that is 1200 wide and srgb and also do your hi res tifs at the same time with the diffrent settings like 16 bit Profoto color space and full res. or anything you like. Actually you can do several recipes at the same time. Just click enable all recipes and it will process them in the same output folder. Pretty cool trick
    I'll have to read this once more or two..to fully understand! Thanks!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

I experiment with a 3rd party DNG profile and it got me closer:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Uwe,

Color looks great but forgive me if I suggest that these are a bit "crisp" for display...although they may print well with this level of sharpening.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, for color correction with the Passport in C1, are you just using the auto correct (A) under C1 against the reference color palette shot? Not sure how else to correct in C1. Thanks for the help...

Post Thanks / Like

Better this way?

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Guy, for color correction with the Passport in C1, are you just using the auto correct (A) under C1 against the reference color palette shot? Not sure how else to correct in C1. Thanks for the help...
    In the shot with the Passport in it I WB off the second brightest white patch. Use that kelvin temp and tint for all the rest under that light. So WB off that patch not the whole card in auto. The passport can just be held by a model at almost any distance as long as you can zoom in your fine.

Samre with LR, ACR, NX2 if you using the card in the shot just WB off that second patch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See under the wheel I have the passport in this shot . I'll just zoom in a little take my reading off my second white patch and I have my WB. Now a little c
    Loser to camera would be better and don't let reflected color in either but all the raw programs you can do this WB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heck many times I will just stick my arm out there holding the passport too. That day I was juggling two cams. The Nikon and tech cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like this thread is helping folks. Do spend the hundred dollars for the passport. It's a great tool in your bag very functional and you can use your passport shot in any raw converter to get your WB. It's like gaffers tape every shooter needs a roll?

I actually thought about buying a second one for each system grab bag and go.

Also with LR you can actually profile your camera to a preset that you can use on import.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you could use the GetDPI link it helps support the forum but this is what you want

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport MSCCPP B&H Photo Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy. The passport is great, and quite durable. Also, when I got the I1 Profile upgrade, I got a wallet size one that is even more convenient, not sure if you can buy that one separately.

Post Thanks / Like

Better this way?

My preference is softer...when grass and leaves look like crystals I am a bit discomforted...and yes to me this looks better.

But again, for print it will need more sharpening.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

>when grass and leaves look like crystals I am a bit discomforted

This is crystal grass :-). I get it. I actually would not sharpen more for printing as I like the softening effect from the print process (for matte paper I would add sharpness though).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the colors in that image too. Could you say a bit more about this 3rd party DNG profile Uwe? I'm just getting started with my D800E and have a lot to learn....especially since I haven't even begun to use LR yet (doing everything in CS5).

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    My preference is softer...when grass and leaves look like crystals I am a bit discomforted...and yes to me this looks better.

But again, for print it will need more sharpening.

Bob
    I too have an adversion to crispy images...whether for the web or for print. Call me old fashioned, but I like my images (especially prints) to emulate the look one might obtain from medium format film...sharp but realistic. In the early days of digital, I made it a point to work hard to achieve that look.

As an aside, from what I've been told by my great grandfather, that passport Guy placed under the wagon wheel is just what they did in the olden days to prevent the wagon from rolling down the hill (after parking it in front of the saloon of course). Every self respecting cowboy and outlaw had their own "Passport"

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 6th June 2012 at 19:59.

Post Thanks / Like

>I'm just getting started with my D800E and have a lot to learn....especially since I haven't even begun to use LR yet (doing everything in CS5).

Go to calibration in ACR and you can find profiles. DNG profiles can be created by using Color Checker Passport or the DNG Profile Editor. Creating profiles is not for me :-) so I look around to find some. For all my cameras the ColorChecker Passport profiles do fine, but not the D800.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    that passport Guy placed under the wagon wheel is just what they did in the olden days to prevent the wagon from rolling down the hill

Dave (D&A)
    Had to re-read the thread...thought it was his digital signature...

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

>is just what they did in the olden days to prevent the wagon from rolling down the hill

Does it also help with parking in SF?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, allow me to ask you what you did by posting your picture at #47, which is just fantastic clear, clean and sharp (the phase160 I guess?), TIFF scaled to 1200 width?, or the max at 7500 + JPEG at 1200 px width together or what?
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe, I better like the more "normal way", this one gives some strange appearence.
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Guy, allow me to ask you what you did by posting your picture at #47, which is just fantastic clear, clean and sharp (the phase160 I guess?), TIFF scaled to 1200 width?, or the max at 7500 + JPEG at 1200 px width together or what?
    Thorkil
    Lol that's the D800. I shot the same with the 160 also both look extremely close in color. Full res tiff than convert to srgb and cut size down to 1200 pixels wide.

Btw that's with a 35 1.4 g lens . The EXIF data should be in that image . Right click save to desktop open in CS5 and get info. Probably F8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw I started a thread here on the Nikon forum called First Blush that you may have missed. It's a pretty good thread on color when I first got my D800 using ACR and NX2 than getting C1 towards the end . Also in there are comparison shots to the 160. Worth the long read.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw I started a thread here on the Nikon forum called First Blush that you may have missed. It's a pretty good thread on color when I first got my D800 using ACR and NX2 than getting C1 towards the end . Also in there are comparison shots to the 160. Worth the long read.
    Thank you for both answers!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, just to bother you again...impressive that #47 for a D800!(and the #82, but very heavy colours here)
    So then you just shot Tiff all the time, and get those mighty, around, 107 Mb files instead of the "small" DNG files at about 42Mb?
    That I must try !!!
    Thorkil