Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

I've had a look around the net for a sharpening plugin and none of the usual suspects will play nice with NX2. Does anyone have any ideas on that? Without going too far off topic, I find the default sharpening in C1 to be so subtle and effective and the product so damned good looking that it's going to mean NX2 output tif into C1 for now.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Guy I will send it in a few hours
    Take your time.

Reading about monitors here. I use a NEC wide gamut monitor which i highly recommend they have them in various size but very much like the Eizo brands. Check B&H on them. Happy to help if folks need it on which one.

Roger check your PM. Like to give you some money. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielmoore View Post
    I think it's even simpler than that. My laptop is a 1920x1200 pixel screen, my desktop is the same. The laptop is 17", the desktop 24". Kuau's two above images look very similar on the desktop and show a dramatic difference on the laptop. Nothing being thrown away, just incapable of being resolved.
    Not sure I follow your logic . On my iPad which resolves more detail than my macbook ...I can see a clear difference between the two images . The NX2 file shows more detail than the LR file . On the MB they appear the same .

The discussion is about whether Nx2 actually produces a better (more detailed ) file than LR . What did your test show?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Daniel is right, when I open both of the images on my Desktop system, the 16bit tiffs out of both LR4 and NX2, to my eyes the LR4 is sharper because of the decon. sharpening I use in LR4, NX2 only offers basic USM, which I am still waiting to here back from Jason O'Dell the NX2 "expert" on what he is doing for sharpening in NX2 and D800/E files....
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger, I was commenting on the fact that they appear the same since one screen is simply incapable of showing detail beyond it's pixel frequency. Seems I missed your point.
    The NX2 product did at first seem to have more detail but it's the quality of that detail I have issue with, at the pixel level it's grotesque compared to all other programs output. It has a mindless mottled look that breaks up smoothness in tones. In print the NX2 file may not suck so bad, I don't know, all of my investigation has been screen only at this point. I read that deconvolution sharpening in Lightroom only kicks in after setting the detail slider to 100%, resorting to USM below that. Can someone confirm this?

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel That was my point ....on my macbook pro ..the level of detail provided exceeds the screens ability to show . But on the IPad with a higher pixel count ...I could easily see the NX2 file had more detail . Steve indicates he sees the opposite on his screen at 100% .

At this point this discussion has out lasted my technical knowledge . There are many factors at play in completing a test that can be considered valid . It becomes an endless looping of what s a fair comparison ..screen,print ..processed to final ,original conversion etc. Probably best for me to quit until I have time to really work on my own testing .

As Jack showed with the D800 vs the D800E ..post processing knowledge and skills can minimize the differences between two cameras with very different “original output “ . Its about getting satisfactory (for the photographers use) image quality with a reasonable level of effort . This is where I believe LR is letting us down because it should be able to render a D800E raw file to the color chart . Today to my eye it doesn t .