The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Please keep the thread on the original topic: D800 Camera Calibration. It gets confusing if we discuss all issues with the D800 here. Open a new thread please if needed.

Thorkil

just some from today, no pp apart from whiball-correcting, C1, DNG to jpeg, 1. 14mm 1000iso, 5.6, 1/125 1sec.shutterlag, handheld. 2 no pp 200iso, 14mm 1/125 f.8 handheld and whiball

Thorkil

more today. C1, jpeg just whiball, no pp. 1. iso 400 1/125 f.8 focus at the buttom 14mm. 2. no pp. whiball iso 100 1/125 f.8

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am confused as well how a profile built with the color checker passport would not be very good. This then becomes the profile used by LR4 and you avoid the whole discussion of how crappy the Adobe Standard profile might be ....same for the camera profiles like neutral ,portrait ....you are using the custom camera profile .

ustein

Contributing Editor
>you are using the custom camera profile .

I have a ColorChecker profile but don't use it as it is not much better. Camera Neutral is a better starting point for me now.

>how a profile built with the color checker passport would not be very good.

I am puzzled too but have seen this also with an other recent Nikon camera (a year ago or so). At that time it did not bother me much because it was not my camera that I use now for a longer time.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it would only work in the same quality of light you profiled in also . So you need to profile for full sun, partly cloudy and so on. I have not done this but it should work in the same type of lighting.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Well it would only work in the same quality of light you profiled in also .

Not really: There are dual light source profiles and they worked in the past just fine. The D800 is different and I don't know why.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Actually I'm considering turning the 800E back again and wait for a Leica M10 or perhaps just a D600. Strugling with the colours, contrast and lacking "shine" and also way too dark areas and outblown highlights sometimes, and I'm no fan of HDR. And the way too shallow dof even at f.8 and f.11 bothers me. But some of you make some nice pictures though.
hhmm
Thorkil
Thorkil, the DOF is EXACTLY the same on the D800e as it is on any full frame camera.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>the DOF is EXACTLY the same on the D800e as it is on any full frame camera.

Right, but due to the higher resolution you see more OOF at higher magnifications.

tashley

Subscriber Member
>the DOF is EXACTLY the same on the D800e as it is on any full frame camera.

Right, but due to the higher resolution you see more OOF at higher magnifications.
Exactly. But how long is it going to take to have everyone realise that 100% on screen means nothing unless you print at 100dpi?!

J

julianv

The LuLa forum recently had an extensive thread on camera profiles for ACR and LR, including comments from Eric Chan (one of the Adobe developers who works on ACR):

Dual Illuminant Profiles

ustein

Contributing Editor
>But how long is it going to take to have everyone realise that 100% on screen means nothing unless you print at 100dpi?!

True, but a hell for pixel peeper :).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
>Well it would only work in the same quality of light you profiled in also .

Not really: There are dual light source profiles and they worked in the past just fine. The D800 is different and I don't know why.
This is incorrect...go with Guy on this...each light source and quality needs to be profiled...which is why profiles are so poor out of the studio...take a profile, throw in a non-profiled element at 45 degrees which adds to the light and you are unable to make it work.

Which is why Marc Williams and a bunch left Nik for Sony...the colors just worked......

I gave up on the poor LR calibration bit after using Eye1 profiling system and realizing just how specific it needs to be...

Nikons yellow green bias is a problem...why it exists when Sony sources some of their chips is beyond me.

However...Sony has not kept up with regards to lenses and one has few options in 35 other than N or C.

Bob

docmoore

I might add that when the colors are too disparate...I convert to BW...:ROTFL:

And this is not infrequent with Nikon.

Bob

ustein

Contributing Editor
>This is incorrect...go with Guy on this...each light source

If you are very picky then you are right. But for my simple use it works. If I would profile each light source in landscapes I would have a problem and doubt the impact of images would change much.

docmoore

I agree with you....

However it is a shame that they do not up their game....Sony Hasselblad Phase One and Leica can get color pretty much dead on from the start...

My thoughts are shoot with Daylight and adjust in post....and I have a D 700 that is brand new....love the simplicity and directness of the lenses and the bodies...I just ignore all of the "ephemerata" from a tech standpoint.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

I always shoot in daylight setting unless I am under tungsten. I never use auto on any cam, gets fooled to easy. The D800 yellow is not nearly as bad as previous Nikons. The D3x when I played around with it was pretty biased to yellow. Now I seen yellow in ACR but it's better in C1. I know I'm a drug pusher on C1 but download a trail and give it a try. I honestly like the color better outside of everything else I like about it. Remember my thread First blush thread how much color was all over the place with ACR well at the end C1 was out with support and it looked far better and compared very nicely to my Phase back which I still think is the gold standard for color.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I always shoot in daylight setting unless I am under tungsten.

I have a different philosophy. WB can be adjusted later. Why not give the camera chance to do it right. Often auto WB is not bad.

Guy Mancuso

The camera can't do it well Uwe. It always gets fooled into the subject color not the light falling on the subject. I WB in post but its always shot in daylight. Your so much closer to the correct color this way.