The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Yes I agree C1 is very nice with the D800.

C1 is nice but I like to use LR4 for other reasons.

Thorkil

Thank you both! I thought one could creative profiles in C1 too, but that you can't. Then I'm supposed well off, just shooting my pocket-whiball-card I guess.
Thorkil

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You should get very good if not dead on results shooting the Passport and WB. It's a very nice tool to use.

I'm replying to Uwe post above too LR will give you lens profiles for Nikon lenses for lens corrections like distortion for instance. C1 does not but you can do simple barrel and pin corrections in C1. Plus you can do CA and purple fringing as well. But the lens profiles are not built in so that is one downside. Only lens I really have to correct myself right now is the 24 1.4 but it's a simple distortion so I can fix that.

Thorkil

for my part: it took me too long (more than 30 minutes...:facesmack:) to try to find out of Lightroom (hhmmm....I know), but I couldn't. But C1 is just so easy and intuitive to handle (must be those danes, I guess....;))...but, when you all seems (nearby) to have a hang at LR then I might try to give it a try some more times (and learn to count to 100 once in a while, in the proces...)...perhaps.
Guy, do you solely use C1? or use LR for posting or....?
(sorry you were too quick...)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm replying to Uwe post above too LR will give you lens profiles for Nikon lenses for lens corrections like distortion for instance.

There is quite a bit more. Some you can do in Photoshop but non non-destructively:

- Gradients
- Brushes
- Well integrated with good DAM
- Highlight recovery is better

That said I like the look from C1.

Uwe

Thorkil

You should get very good if not dead on results shooting the Passport and WB. It's a very nice tool to use.

I'm replying to Uwe post above too LR will give you lens profiles for Nikon lenses for lens corrections like distortion for instance. C1 does not but you can do simple barrel and pin corrections in C1. Plus you can do CA and purple fringing as well. But the lens profiles are not built in so that is one downside. Only lens I really have to correct myself right now is the 24 1.4 but it's a simple distortion so I can fix that.
Okay thank you! For a start I thought that C1 read the lense automatically and did the corrections automatically, but you have to choose the settings, and decide each time I guess. But I guess the camera itself do most of the lense-corrections automatically?

Guy Mancuso

I only use C1 . I don't even have LR on my machine.LOL

Some folks love LR and as Uwe pointed out some have diffrent functions than others and C1 for instance has color editor which is pretty powerful and also local adjustments. Version 7 is supposed to rock our house but no word on its release but from history in this business. Most new announcements are usually around Photokinia

Guy Mancuso

Okay thank you! For a start I thought that C1 read the lense automatically and did the corrections automatically, but you have to choose the settings, and decide each time I guess. But I guess the camera itself do most of the lense-corrections automatically?
You ask a great question and something I would like to know for sure myself. I am pretty sure lens corrections are applied for in camera jpegs but I doubt very highly it does for raws. It maybe applying a tag for NX2 and LR to see but to the raw itself I doubt.

Like a answer to this myself

Thorkil

You ask a great question and something I would like to know for sure myself. I am pretty sure lens corrections are applied for in camera jpegs but I doubt very highly it does for raws. It maybe applying a tag for NX2 and LR to see but to the raw itself I doubt.

Like a answer to this myself
:)

Thorkil

I only use C1 . I don't even have LR on my machine.LOL

Some folks love LR and as Uwe pointed out some have diffrent functions than others and C1 for instance has color editor which is pretty powerful and also local adjustments. Version 7 is supposed to rock our house but no word on its release but from history in this business. Most new announcements are usually around Photokinia
Okay...thanks...!

Thorkil

just one more silly question then: when you are posting here, are you then just scaling down in C1 to the 1200 px in weidth and just ordinary JPEG setting? But do you then paste in with Ctrl V or what?

Guy Mancuso

I run a action in Photoshop but you certainly can create a recipe in C1 that is 1200 wide and srgb and also do your hi res tifs at the same time with the diffrent settings like 16 bit Profoto color space and full res. or anything you like. Actually you can do several recipes at the same time. Just click enable all recipes and it will process them in the same output folder. Pretty cool trick

Thorkil

I run a action in Photoshop but you certainly can create a recipe in C1 that is 1200 wide and srgb and also do your hi res tifs at the same time with the diffrent settings like 16 bit Profoto color space and full res. or anything you like. Actually you can do several recipes at the same time. Just click enable all recipes and it will process them in the same output folder. Pretty cool trick
I'll have to read this once more or two..to fully understand! Thanks!
Thorkil

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I experiment with a 3rd party DNG profile and it got me closer:

Uwe,

Color looks great but forgive me if I suggest that these are a bit "crisp" for display...although they may print well with this level of sharpening.

Bob

jagsiva

Guy, for color correction with the Passport in C1, are you just using the auto correct (A) under C1 against the reference color palette shot? Not sure how else to correct in C1. Thanks for the help...