Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

Still sometime struggle with LR 4 colors for the D800. I use Adobe Standard and process 2012.

Did anybody try to change the color calibration data?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon D800 and LR Color Calibration?

I think the real culprit is LR4's saturation. It's awful, to say the least (as is PS). I process to a fairly desaturated look and saturate back up in Viveza 2 - it's miles ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Yes ....I call the D800 in LR4 ..the “Wow” setting . Found that color saturation was way to high . But I shot a color checker passport and built a profile and it was pretty close to the adobe standard.

I ran a quick test on the same files in NX2 and they looked pretty normal .

The other thing I am finding somewhat unusual is the overall level of contrast . Some of my daylight files are exceeding the DR of the sensor ...I have burned highlights and blocked blacks in the same image . And this is keeping contrast on linear .

I suspect that the raw files from the D800/E have both high contrast and high saturation that has been created by the Nikon processor (in camera) .

But this is purely anecdotal evidence based on a few shots .

Please share your presets . Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

>Yes ....I call the D800 in LR4 ..the “Wow” setting

More like Ouch :-)

I work on some fixes in the HSL panel.

I normally also use ColorChecker Passport profiles and was happy. Not for the D800 though.
    Last edited by ustein; 5th June 2012 at 12:16.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the old days of Leafs brick, Dicomeds bigshot and Megavision T2 we made cameraprofiles for total flat low gamma, slightly underexposed images. I am 100% sure this same thing will work perfectly on the D800. But I´m pretty sure this will not do with the default camera profiles.
    Ha - finally a camera that needs colormanagement again........
    what a relief -

regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Yes ....I call the D800 in LR4 ..the “Wow” setting

More like Ouch :-)

I work on some fixes in the HSL panel.

I normally also use ColorChecker Passport profiles and was happy. Not for the D800 though.
    Agree .....I have had the same experience with the D800E . Trying to get a RED baseball uniform to look realistic is a challenge for example ..even with HSL adjustments .

Post Thanks / Like

Still sometime struggle with LR 4 colors for the D800. I use Adobe Standard and process 2012.

Did anybody try to change the color calibration data?
    Have you tried Camera Standard/Neutral/Portrait?

They're meant to be ACR's analogues to the in camera profiles - while they're not an exact match, they're pretty close - I find all 3 better than Adobe Standard colour wise, especially when there are near blown reds and blues.

Camera Landscape and Camera Vivid...well, if you thought Adobe Standard had WOW saturation...

Shelby Lewis

I'm actually using the 2012 process with the camera neutral profile... it isn't the prettiest out of the can, but the adobe standard has way too much contrast for me.

So colorchecker passport doesn't help? How does one go about color profiling the camera then w/o spending a fortune?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I'm considering turning the 800E back again and wait for a Leica M10 or perhaps just a D600. Strugling with the colours, contrast and lacking "shine" and also way too dark areas and outblown highlights sometimes, and I'm no fan of HDR. And the way too shallow dof even at f.8 and f.11 bothers me. But some of you make some nice pictures though.
    hhmm
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

>And the way too shallow dof even at f.8 and f.11 bothers me.

Find it challenging too but will try my best.

>with the camera neutral profile.

Thanks, I give it a shot.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Shelby Lewis

The one thing I find that is a real struggle with the D800 is what I think is color separation in yellows/greens. I think that once I can get a truly consistent profile, that it will be much better. It seems at 100% that the goods are there... but getting it all sorted is tough.

I also find that the DR is so wide that most files take (in LR 4) a negative move on blacks, but also a substantial bump to the positive on the shadows... then some monkeying with whites and shadows as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...and as this wasn't enough, the matrix-metering also give me some sorts of problems that I don't remember from the D700, it sort of meters the sky(perhaps mostly when you are pointing it a bit upwards) and forget to meter the ground, result: fine clouds but way too dark ground and subject...
    or perhaps my mood just is in a bad shape these days.
    Thorkil

Shelby Lewis

Thorkil... I shoot in manual all the time, but I find the meter much better than my old canon equipment... and the flash system is WORLDS more consistent. That said, i think DPReview noticed that the meter is definitely tuned to the focus point and has a tendency to bias the meter towards whatever is dominant in the scene.

I bet pointing up (recomposing?) will, indeed, cause the ground to underexpose.

I'll have to test it out.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Shelby Lewis

Found it: Nikon D800 Review: Digital Photography Review

Check out the "AF Point and Metering" Section... the AF point's position seems to really impact how the camera meters the scene.

Post Thanks / Like

I experience less EV changes are needed with the D800 than other cameras, that is good.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    The one thing I find that is a real struggle with the D800 is what I think is color separation in yellows/greens. I think that once I can get a truly consistent profile, that it will be much better. It seems at 100% that the goods are there... but getting it all sorted is tough.

I also find that the DR is so wide that most files take (in LR 4) a negative move on blacks, but also a substantial bump to the positive on the shadows... then some monkeying with whites and shadows as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    ...and as this wasn't enough, the matrix-metering also give me some sorts of problems that I don't remember from the D700, it sort of meters the sky(perhaps mostly when you are pointing it a bit upwards) and forget to meter the ground, result: fine clouds but way too dark ground and subject...
    or perhaps my mood just is in a bad shape these days.
    Thorkil
    The metering behaviour is a good thing IMO, but it takes some getting used to. (I'm on a D7000, but it's a cut down D800 so the behaviour's similar).

For 2 reasons:
    1) The D7000 and D800 sensors do not handle overexposure anywhere near as well as under, and
    2)There is so much DR that a neutral image SOOC looks almost lifeless. There is enough information in the shadows that it's fine to let subjects get a little dark on capture, and then pull up the shadows on the computer (which LR/ACR make much easier now).

I use the sliders to decide which parts of the DR I want to emphasize, and which to compress, and that seems to get most of where I want things to be.

This is not a pretty image at all (was to test exposure before the riders started) but it's a good display of what can be done (again, on a D7000, so figure you have an additional stop or so of latitude on a D800):

OOC, exposed for the blue in the sky. The black parts of the image are reading 0,0,0 RGB.

After pulling up the shadows. Note the blue in the sky and the cloud highlights have not clipped.

That's an extreme example - I don't think I'd ever pull to that extent in a proper image as things get too noisy - but I think the principle holds.

Check out the "AF Point and Metering" Section... the AF point's position seems to really impact how the camera meters the scene.
    I might be teaching you to suck eggs, but in case anyone doesn't know how Nikon's metering is set up:

Spot metering is locked to the AF point (it will try and put whatever is under the AF point at middle grey without regard for the rest of the scene)

Centre weighted is completely uncoupled from the AF point, will meter from the centre of the viewfinder (you can set how big an area it assesses, or you can have it average out the entire scene)

Matrix is biased towards the AF point but takes the rest into account. Not quite figured out its behaviour, though it gets things right most of the time.
    Last edited by ausemmao; 5th June 2012 at 14:12.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Shelby Lewis

Back to color... by which method do some of you plan to produce a proper custom profile for your D800? And why do you suppose the colorchecker passport hasn't worked well to this point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank's Ill take a look

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

totally unprocessed, just converted in C1 to Jpeg and attached, 14-24 at 14mm f.9 1/200, iso100, matrix, 1sec. shutterlag, handheld. No I know its not a good example. but forgot the Whiball at home

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep the thread on the original topic: D800 Camera Calibration. It gets confusing if we discuss all issues with the D800 here. Open a new thread please if needed.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went to C1 and it seems a lot better for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just some from today, no pp apart from whiball-correcting, C1, DNG to jpeg, 1. 14mm 1000iso, 5.6, 1/125 1sec.shutterlag, handheld. 2 no pp 200iso, 14mm 1/125 f.8 handheld and whiball

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

more today. C1, jpeg just whiball, no pp. 1. iso 400 1/125 f.8 focus at the buttom 14mm. 2. no pp. whiball iso 100 1/125 f.8

Post Thanks / Like

I am confused as well how a profile built with the color checker passport would not be very good. This then becomes the profile used by LR4 and you avoid the whole discussion of how crappy the Adobe Standard profile might be ....same for the camera profiles like neutral ,portrait ....you are using the custom camera profile .

Post Thanks / Like

>you are using the custom camera profile .

I have a ColorChecker profile but don't use it as it is not much better. Camera Neutral is a better starting point for me now.

>how a profile built with the color checker passport would not be very good.

I am puzzled too but have seen this also with an other recent Nikon camera (a year ago or so). At that time it did not bother me much because it was not my camera that I use now for a longer time.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it would only work in the same quality of light you profiled in also . So you need to profile for full sun, partly cloudy and so on. I have not done this but it should work in the same type of lighting.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

>Well it would only work in the same quality of light you profiled in also .

Not really: There are dual light source profiles and they worked in the past just fine. The D800 is different and I don't know why.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Actually I'm considering turning the 800E back again and wait for a Leica M10 or perhaps just a D600. Strugling with the colours, contrast and lacking "shine" and also way too dark areas and outblown highlights sometimes, and I'm no fan of HDR. And the way too shallow dof even at f.8 and f.11 bothers me. But some of you make some nice pictures though.
    hhmm
    Thorkil
    Thorkil, the DOF is EXACTLY the same on the D800e as it is on any full frame camera.

Post Thanks / Like

>the DOF is EXACTLY the same on the D800e as it is on any full frame camera.

Right, but due to the higher resolution you see more OOF at higher magnifications.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

>the DOF is EXACTLY the same on the D800e as it is on any full frame camera.

Right, but due to the higher resolution you see more OOF at higher magnifications.
    Exactly. But how long is it going to take to have everyone realise that 100% on screen means nothing unless you print at 100dpi?!

julianv

The LuLa forum recently had an extensive thread on camera profiles for ACR and LR, including comments from Eric Chan (one of the Adobe developers who works on ACR):

Dual Illuminant Profiles

Post Thanks / Like

>But how long is it going to take to have everyone realise that 100% on screen means nothing unless you print at 100dpi?!

True, but a hell for pixel peeper :-).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

>Well it would only work in the same quality of light you profiled in also .

Not really: There are dual light source profiles and they worked in the past just fine. The D800 is different and I don't know why.
    This is incorrect...go with Guy on this...each light source and quality needs to be profiled...which is why profiles are so poor out of the studio...take a profile, throw in a non-profiled element at 45 degrees which adds to the light and you are unable to make it work.

Which is why Marc Williams and a bunch left Nik for Sony...the colors just worked......

I gave up on the poor LR calibration bit after using Eye1 profiling system and realizing just how specific it needs to be...

Nikons yellow green bias is a problem...why it exists when Sony sources some of their chips is beyond me.

However...Sony has not kept up with regards to lenses and one has few options in 35 other than N or C.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I might add that when the colors are too disparate...I convert to BW...

And this is not infrequent with Nikon.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

>This is incorrect...go with Guy on this...each light source

If you are very picky then you are right. But for my simple use it works. If I would profile each light source in landscapes I would have a problem and doubt the impact of images would change much.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you....

However it is a shame that they do not up their game....Sony Hasselblad Phase One and Leica can get color pretty much dead on from the start...

My thoughts are shoot with Daylight and adjust in post....and I have a D 700 that is brand new....love the simplicity and directness of the lenses and the bodies...I just ignore all of the "ephemerata" from a tech standpoint.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I always shoot in daylight setting unless I am under tungsten. I never use auto on any cam, gets fooled to easy. The D800 yellow is not nearly as bad as previous Nikons. The D3x when I played around with it was pretty biased to yellow. Now I seen yellow in ACR but it's better in C1. I know I'm a drug pusher on C1 but download a trail and give it a try. I honestly like the color better outside of everything else I like about it. Remember my thread First blush thread how much color was all over the place with ACR well at the end C1 was out with support and it looked far better and compared very nicely to my Phase back which I still think is the gold standard for color.

Post Thanks / Like

>I always shoot in daylight setting unless I am under tungsten.

I have a different philosophy. WB can be adjusted later. Why not give the camera chance to do it right. Often auto WB is not bad.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The camera can't do it well Uwe. It always gets fooled into the subject color not the light falling on the subject. I WB in post but its always shot in daylight. Your so much closer to the correct color this way.

Post Thanks / Like

>Your so much closer to the correct color this way.

This maybe my problem as I don't shoot for the correct color. If I would shoot your stuff I likely would do differently.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try it go shoot something with a lot of color with a passport cc in it try auto and try daylight. You will see a difference in the files. Auto does okay but we need to remember the meter in these cameras see reflected light which subject color can fool it. If it was incident readings it would be far more accurate as it reads the light itself not what's reflected. What happens and a color guru can explain this better than me but if you moving the color in a dramatic way to WB it has a adverse effect. But if your close to the actual light source than to WB it's usually a very minor adjustment. In tungsten light this can have a very adverse effect. I think in tungsten the blue channel can get all whacked.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets assume the goal of this post was too get the best color possible out of D800 files . Is that a fair assumption?

We have quite a number of variables that are playing in our color pool . Probably as important as any ..is the type of subject matter you plan on shooting followed closely by the type of light . Get into mixed lighting or even studio and IMHO thats a different game than most are playing . Not irrelevant just adds a wrinkle to the discussion .

As best I can determine every camera has a color signature ...isn t that why they create the color gamut charts ? The last one I saw indicated that the D800 sensor over saturates reds and under saturates blues . And not all reds and blues but specific shades . Greens don t show as being much off.

The lens also imparts a color tint ..the best glass looks the cleanest (maybe not the best ) . A Noctilux produces very clean whites . Some of the older Nikon glass had a definite yellow tint .

Contrast and exposure affect your perception of color ..so these have to be pretty close . Didn t we use to underexpose Kodachrome to get greater saturation. Is it just lighter or darker ? or can you really see the shade . can t you see this in skin tones if the exposure isn t right how do you ever know ....is it too yellow or too dark ?

Ok ..now lets all use different raw developers just to make it interesting .

This is exactly where the S2 was 2 years ago . Couldn t get a raw conversion that I liked out of LR . Now I can get a good one at any ISO and I doubt I could have created the presets . The trick was that the S2 was exposing to the right about 1/2 EV or maybe a little more . This creates the brilliant highlights just below burn out (you may not like this as the margin for error is less). Then the presets pull the entire tone curve down lights,darks and shadows almost evenly maybe a little more on the shadows . Leica RED tends to be a little bright and toward the magenta side ..a small tweak here fixed it .

It would seem and am just putting out a hypothesis ....that getting great color out of the D800 is absolutely possible but it requires an understanding of the color response and establishment of a process based on calibration and raw conversion presets .

I don t believe that you can completely eliminate the color signature of the system but you can produce good color for most applications with any of the major systems .

Post Thanks / Like

Auto WB has been working very well in daylight and has been better than using the LR daylight 5500/10 setting . While I am sure this is different in tungsten ,mixed and other lighting scenarios ..in daylight regardless of the time of day ..I use auto WB .

I realize this is different than what is recommended by most working professionals (although they generally recommend cloudy 6500/10) .

Why ? The Auto WB on the D800 tends to run cool daylight might be 4600-4800 and this ,to my eye and others ,produces excellent skin tones . Almost as if the Nikon calibration is set to offset some of the yellow /green bias . Try 4800/20 for skin tone in daylight . You can obviously take many paths to the same result but when I see good skin tones (or the way I like them ) i start there .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bottom line in all cases AWB is guessing at the color temp. Every hour of the day the kelvin temp changes. Now what looks good to your eye is not always accurate either. Our eyes make adjustments very easily but does not mean its accurate.

Check out this article

Why I Don't Use AWB | Pixiq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bottom line in all cases AWB is guessing at the color temp. Every hour of the day the kelvin temp changes. Now what looks good to your eye is not always accurate either. Our eyes make adjustments very easily but does not mean its accurate.

Check out this article

Why I Don't Use AWB | Pixiq
    Maybe I should have stated this differently ...try a preset WB of 4800-5000 and 20 magenta as your daylight setting and see if the skin tones aren t better verse 5500/10 .

My goal is a pleasing skin tone without a lot of work as opposed to a accurate to the color chart rendering .

The other part of the debate is “do you want accurate color to a standard color chart or the color temperature you are actually seeing ? “ . Depends on the subject and the photographers intent . I don t want to adjust a nice evening back to mid day . This is the argument for a preset color temperature .

I have tried all the alternatives and prefer the AWB but thats all it is a preference . I can adjust to whatever in LR across the entire shoot but I have a reference to what the camera picked up.

The good news for me is that the Nikon seems to be producing very decent skin tones with little adjustment which was not the case in the D3/D700.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This was shot in daylight preset in camera than WB in the second white square, than processed in c1. The WB changed slightly in color temp. This being shot at around 9 am it's still slight lower color temp than a daylight setting. So when WB it corrects it slightly. Now normally we would say it was fine and I agree most daylight temps are just fine but if you want accurate to 10th degree than use a color checker. AWB the issue is its driven off the reflective properties of the subject. Not like here that is read more as the light falling on the subject. Using the WB tool being neutral grey has no color to throw the bias off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Maybe I should have stated this differently ...try a preset WB of 4800-5000 and 20 magenta as your daylight setting and see if the skin tones aren t better verse 5500/10 .

My goal is a pleasing skin tone without a lot of work as opposed to a accurate to the color chart rendering .

The other part of the debate is “do you want accurate color to a standard color chart or the color temperature you are actually seeing ? “ . Depends on the subject and the photographers intent . I don t want to adjust a nice evening back to mid day . This is the argument for a preset color temperature .

I have tried all the alternatives and prefer the AWB but thats all it is a preference . I can adjust to whatever in LR across the entire shoot but I have a reference to what the camera picked up.

The good news for me is that the Nikon seems to be producing very decent skin tones with little adjustment which was not the case in the D3/D700.
    Yes Roger we are talking two different things per say. One is pleasing color to your eye and the other accurate color right down to the exact color temp of the scene shot. If you want accurate all across the shoot which is a fairly easy task. Say your shooting a model shoot your passport CC in the first shot than go to town shooting than back in post WB that image and apply to the whole shooting session. I do this on just about ever shoot. Now I may like it slightly warmer than I just apply maybe a 200 kelvin to the warm side.

I think some good advice here is understanding kelvin temps and you work in that process as it's a more accurate device to use when you want to make a adjustment than just hitting some random warm /cool slider if you know what I mean. Make these by kelvin so your more consistent to this shoot on hand or next weeks shoot. I tend to think kelvin which I think is a better adjustment tool to learn for yourself. Accurate and pleasing are many times not the same. But that's okay if it's not critical applications than pleasing to your eye is fine. If you wanted to correct a sunset in accurate mode you probably would not like the image at all as it would look to blue. I'll leave it at accurate may not be art if you know what I mean.

Hopefully that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I do agree on the D800 color output as being good out of the gate and yes AWB on these newer cams are far better than previous years as many of those where all over the place. What you don't want is big swings as that can have a adverse effect on some colors. Point here to take home is AWB can be fooled by subject color so just be aware of that. Running daylight preset your always going to be within about 500 max kelvin of accurate at almost any given time of the day outside sunrise / sunset. So its alway pretty close to accurate color.

And key here is also is what you like to see in most cases is more important to your art. No absolute rules here unless your after accurate.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Accurate and pleasing are many times not the same. But that's okay if it's not critical applications than pleasing to your eye is fine. If you wanted to correct a sunset in accurate mode you probably would not like the image at all as it would look to blue. I'll leave it at accurate may not be art if you know what I mean.

Hopefully that helps.
    This essentially sums it up. There are times (especially for a client's work), that accurate color representation of the subject is critical. Then there are times that pleasing to the eye takes "front and center", as in wedding/portatrit or personal work. For me personally, it depends on these and other factors. Then there are those times in stage productions, where the lighting (both temp. and kind used) is changing by the moment and regardless of the W/B setting, its not going to get it right or even close. Often times show one of these images to those who are knowledgable in W/B, and you'll get 25 opinions what W/B setting should be used. In other words, there is no right or wrong in these particuar images. Use of a color checker in this instance isn't going to help, as "accurate" is often about as far removed from pleasing as one can get.

Since I only shoot RAW, it doesn't really matter how I get to one of these two objectives (accurate vs. pleasing) but often knowing in advance what the final objective is, in terms of W/B, using a particular setting is simply going to save me a lot of time and work.

Dave (D&A)