The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone doing Video with D800?

I need to know if anyone on this forum is doing video shooting with D800.

I need shoot video one group dance performance on the stage.

I never did this before, so which wide angle lens would be good option. Any other tips you would like to share?

I never did video shooting before with DSLR.

Also D800 may not be ideal for video (at least I don't know), however that's the only DSLR I will have.

Subrata

R

ronvanderkolk

I created a new thread on video with the D800 just a minute ago. What do you mean the D800 is not ideal for video? The image quality is great. It's just that focussing can be a pain. A simple camcorder is easier to use in that respect, but it will probably not do well in the low light conditions of a stage.

Here is something that I shot during a concert, my first try ever at video with the D800: How does the Nikon D800/D800E perform at high iso with video? Quality at ISO3200 was great. I tried ISO6400 too and it was noisy but usable.

I used a 70-200, but if you are closer to the stage you could use the 24-70 or whatever you have in your bag. If you go more towards wideangle you will have more DOF and you might get away with a fixed focus setting.

Ron, thanks... will follow the new thread.

I'm new to DSLR video. Need to do once in a while.

I'm planning to put two tripods, one with Canon XA10 camcorder and another with D800. Canon XA10 will be my insurance anb it is good at low light.

I need to keep the entire stage in focus as there will be lots of movements through out the stage. So probably I will use pre-focus with f/11 or so, hence higher ISO will help.

I may have opportunity to practice during stage rehearsal.

Subrata

R

ronvanderkolk

I'd love to see the results of all those cameras side by side!

Stefan Steib

Ron

the full HD looks impressive. 3200 ISO ? Whoa - I really tried to spot noise, but I couldn´t. Maybe somewhere back in the shadows.....

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Nice test Ron !

Yes there is only slight noise starting in the deep saturations at 1600, but this is amazingly low overall. What are the 0,7, 1.0 and 2.0 steps mean are these push settings for High Iso on the D800 ?

Regards
Stefan

L

lynne

I intend to do the same thing as Subrata - combine Nikon D800 footage with a Canon AX10. Hoping to get hold of both soon. Been researching for past few weeks & seems to me these two are the best video combination along with high resolution (D800) stills without spending a fortune on the top level pro camcorders. Can anyone else confirm that D800 & AX10 footage will edit together well? I'm assuming yes as they both share the same codec - MPEG-4/H.264. Assume will need to use same fps on both? I'm new to video editing (apart from Arcsoft Showbiz) and intend to use Premiere Pro as it's supposed to be more intuitive than FCP and won't require transcoding first.

I'm choosing the D800 as it is much sharper than the Canon 5DMark3 in stills AND video besides all that resolution, crop modes etc. I'm a little worried about the video noise from 3200ISO and it appears the AX10 has very similar noise performance but, from reviews, it's certainly the best low light camcorder performer without moving up to the higher pro level. It slightly lacks the sharpness and colour saturation of the Panasonic TM900 in good light but is better in low light with pro level full manual controls. Big shame the AX10 lacks the Panasonic's and Sony's 1080p 50fps which gives best slow motion and panning. Even the XF100 only does 720p 50fpf (which I can do on the D800) and is much more expensive and bulky. Sounds like the AX10 is easier and more accurate to use straight out the box than the XF100. All views on my choice of D800 and AX10 to use together welcome.