The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 & Non CPU lenses

gurtch

I have three very old manual focus Nikkors: the 28mm f3.5, 50mm f2 and 135mm f2.8. I just had them retrofitted for AI. I input all three into the D800, and told the camera focal lengths and maximum aperture. Test shots looked at in Bridge DOES correctly show shutter speed and f stop used, and correct focal length. But the data also says:
Lens 0.0mm f0.0
Max aperature: f1.0
Shouldn't the data show the max aperature I input to the camera? I am guessing the 0.0mm f0.0 is because this may be the field where a zoom lens would have the actual focal length listed.
No big deal, but I am concerned I may be doing something wrong.
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ
BTW: looking at "Actual Pixels", it seems the 50mm f2 is the best of the lot!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Dave

You are most likely not saving the non cpu lens information. Its easy to miss. You have to index back the DONE button and then hit ok. Check the set up menu and see if the non cpu lens you want is specified and that the information has been saved.

Roger

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Question . Would the really only reason to do this on a manual focus lens say would be for Exif data so you know what lens and settings you used. Obviously I just bought some of Rogers lenses and want to make sure I am thinking correctly here but other than that really no functional reasons?

danielmoore

Whether or not any lens correction profiles could/would be applied based on the limited exif data is another question.

Guy Mancuso

More for me is knowing which lens i shot but yes i am thinking profiles in CS5 for lens corrections as well , maybe get lucky on auto for that

ausemmao

Question . Would the really only reason to do this on a manual focus lens say would be for Exif data so you know what lens and settings you used. Obviously I just bought some of Rogers lenses and want to make sure I am thinking correctly here but other than that really no functional reasons?
For AI lenses it enables matrix metering and TTL flash.
For AI-s it's not needed.

BSEH

Non CPU lenses feature is designed for older Nikon lenses and will, if equipped with the correct focal length and maximum aperture be able to provide a minimum focal length and the actual aperture you shoot with. (will show in viewfinder and EXFI)

It also means that the camera can use color matrix metering to set the times when the camera fx is in "Aperture mode".

If you don't set "non cpu data", the camera is using spotmetering.

To exploit "non cpu data" requires that there is a mechanical coupling to the camera from the lens built for Nikon. Mechanical coupling on Nikon is called AI.

If you put fx a Leica-R on Nikon D800, set the "non cpu data", it will only mean that you can see it in the EXIF data and the camera will use spotmetering to measure with. Maybe it gives improved precision to the metering, but I can't confirm that.

If you put a older MF Nikon with no chip, selected lenses could use the color matrix and give the correct aperture in the EXIF ​​data. Nikon says: "For improved precision, specify lens focal length and maximum aperture using Non-CPU lens data", even using the spot or center metering.

Last edited:

BSEH

I'll guess alot of the older nikons don't have - but if you have a Noct-Nikkor or the 50 f/1.2, you be happy to get the aperture in the view finder, and exfi data and the color matrix metering. And those lenes will stopped down have resolution to match the D800.

gurtch

Dave

You are most likely not saving the non cpu lens information. Its easy to miss. You have to index back the DONE button and then hit ok. Check the set up menu and see if the non cpu lens you want is specified and that the information has been saved.

Roger
Roger, I think you are right. I re-did the procedure, and made sure I selected "DONE", then pushed the "OK" button. Thanks all.
Dave

Guy Mancuso

So I should be just fine it sounds with the older Zeiss lenses it seems. I really just want the Exif more than anything

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I set up mine just so I can see the f-stop shown correctly on the camera. Otherwise it doesn't seem to matter (both of mine are AI-S, a Micro 105/2.8 and a 105/2.5).

BSEH

I set up mine just so I can see the f-stop shown correctly on the camera. Otherwise it doesn't seem to matter (both of mine are AI-S, a Micro 105/2.8 and a 105/2.5).
If using color matrix and center don't matter - you right it dosen't matter...:)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh look you DO lose matrix metering. Spot still works fine though.

I don't think I would ever have noticed... Loss of spot metering would have been quite obvious however.