The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 200-400/4 along the Bosphorus

otumay

A couple weeks ago (or was it months ago?) I had to courage and energy to lug my 200-400/4 Nikkor and take pictures of ships crossing the Bosphorus. My D300 looked ridiculously small when attached to this behemoth lens. I returned home liking this lens very much and with lots of back pain. Hope you like these samples.

Best regards,
Osman

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice captures with a powerful lens, Osman, the first one must be a quite rare shot

I didn't have the courage to shoot submarines. And I didn't have the energy to lug a big tele.
So this is my Bosporus view from January, a more ordinary boat, shot with a more ordinary focal length :)
I hope it's all right that I add this picture to put into perspective the zoom power of your great long tele.

Actually I so much wish I had a long tele myself. But I'm still waiting for Nikon to announce a new AF-S 4/300mm VR. Patience, patience.

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 1.4/50 • 1/400 sec. at f/8 ISO 200

otumay

Thanks Steen, what a nice shot! Must have been taken from somewhere around Kumkapi, The Armada Hotel roof perhaps?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
You are right, Osman, that it was taken from the roof of our hotel, but as far as I remember our hotel was called The Blue House or something like that.
My wife and I only had one and a half day in Istanbul before we went on to spend a week at some friends in Yalikavak.
Istanbul was an absolutely marvellous experience and we definitely need to go back there some day.
Please show us more pictures from your fantastic city and grandiose country :)
/Steen

otumay

With pleasure, Steen. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. I shall post a couple of my shots of Istanbul and Turkey that are especially dear to me.
Best regards,
Osman

hdrmd

Great photos. I agree, the 200-400 is a fine lens. I have used it a great deal in sports photography ( football and horse racing). Regards. DR