The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Feedback on Nikon V1 requested

Swissblad

I think it could be a great combination - very sharp, fast, close focus.
Ideal for butterflies..?
Hey, you've given me an idea!

jduncan

I have the V1. It really depends on what you are looking for. I think my results from it are fine.

Pros
Focus is very fast in good light. Slows in bad light. Meaning not the fastest at CDAF (m4/3 better)
30-110 is very good with both VR and being a great size.
Battery life is very good
GPS unit works well
Menus are easy and if you don't change your shooting mode that often not a problem
Continuous shooting and the buffer are amazing
Viewfinder is better than others in lower light
Rear LCD is very nice

Cons
The mode dial is a problem It will move on you.
Auto ISO is a problem because it will pick too low a shutter speed - consider switching to shutter priority or program mode as the light fades.

Camera can go over your shoulder and extra lens will fit into a pocket (jacket)

Image quality is fine....but you are at 10mp and decide if that is enough for you.
Hi,

I am planing on buying one as a always on camera.
I like it because is compact and it will take my Nikon DSLR lenses, and that will be a lot of fun.

Here is my question: Normally in Nikon DSLR you set the minimum shutter speed that will trigger the ISO increase. Is this different in this camera?

Thanks,

James

Terry

Hi,

Here is my question: Normally in Nikon DSLR you set the minimum shutter speed that will trigger the ISO increase. Is this different in this camera?

Thanks,

James
Yes, this is different because Nikon unfortunately left that choice off of the firmware. The only way to really get around this is to shoot in shutter priority, program, or manual mode and let the ISO float.

daveproctor

Got out for dog walk and V1 test drive today - really enjoyed using it and the EVF was excellent in the bright light.

Interestingly, where I'd previously resorted to LR 4 for MFT and Canon G1X files, but Capture One is SO much better with the Nikon NEF files. Colours are stunning.

Printed this at A4 and comes out REALLY sharp

jduncan

Yes, this is different because Nikon unfortunately left that choice off of the firmware. The only way to really get around this is to shoot in shutter priority, program, or manual mode and let the ISO float.

Thanks for the answer.
I hope they add it in firmware later, because is a very important feature.
In fact most of the time I use auto iso is to hit a minimum shutter speed.

Changing to shutter mode does work, but it will kill depth of field control, but maybe that is not important in this kind of camera.

Best regards,

James