Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D800 tethered

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 tethered

Have a gig next week which I want to shoot tethered. I use C1 and prefer that and I know it's not supported yet. Looking for workaround instruction. Also like to know any other viable program. Thanks

I apologize for not googling this but been on time crunches lately so I'm leaning on you folks. Guy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

davexl

Re: D800 tethered

Hiya Guy,

Haven't found anything that works right now. Lightroom won't recognise camera, Breezsys NKremote would not connect reliably, the freeware google open source one was buggy as hell, haven't tried Capture One or paid for the Nikon one, as last I heard it was dodgy with the D800, might be fixed by now but Nikon software is not noted for speedy updates.

Helpful huh? You're welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have found two ways that seem to work.
    1) Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 which you can be capturing into a Capture One hot folder.
    2) Use Camera Control Pro 2 libraries to update the Capture One app's internal libraries per the instructions in my email LOL
    -bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

richard.L

Quote Originally Posted by davexl View Post
    Hiya Guy,
    the Nikon one, as last I heard it was dodgy with the D800, might be fixed by now but Nikon software is not noted for speedy updates.

download current version of Nikon software. (2.11) works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I have found two ways that seem to work.
    1) Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 which you can be capturing into a Capture One hot folder.
    2) Use Camera Control Pro 2 libraries to update the Capture One app's internal libraries per the instructions in my email LOL
    -bob
    Lol it take me a week to go through all your emails . ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks folks I'll look into it later today

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had no issues with tethering via Camera Control Pro with the latest version. Make sure the program is running before you turn on the camera for consistent behaviour. Having CCP's toolset may make the difference in which to use, for example, turning on Live View allows to double click on any area in the view to set the AF focus point from the computer. CCP gives you access to all the camera's settings as opposed to simply triggering with C1. I have had lockups in one or both programs when using a hot folder in previous versions, it seems to be better now. On the mac you could use Automator to copy images to a separate hot folder if there's a problem, giving each program their own copy.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody used Sofortbild - Mac Tethered Shooting ?

What hardware is needed for Camera Control Pro?

Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used Sofortbild on other Nikon bodies, not yet on the D800. It's useful but lacks the toolset of CCP and many of it's features. Still, for the price it's great. : )

As for hardware, an Active Repeater USB cable is the only hardware you'll want. Monoprice.com has the best price and very good quality cables. I've strung a pair of 32' cables together in one shoot and it worked flawlessly. Of course I'm assuming you want more than a basic USB cable to go beyond 15' when necessary.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought CCP didn't work with modern OS's?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Apple's Aperture supports tethering according to:
    Aperture 3: Tips on tethered shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Sofortbild is supported but has lost of problems with the D800. Fist shot OK, then goes crazy..not working..

Post Thanks / Like

Better Nikon Camera Control. Petty they don't include it with pro cameras.. Hey Nikon..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll probably try c1 since that is my processing engine too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was trying to do this without buying another piece of software

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I was trying to do this without buying another piece of software
    That I don't know, perhaps the library functions from the trial version o camera control pro 2 will work if transplanted to the capture one app.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did that but no go and away from office will try later

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is cheap ($25) but runs on Windows only: TetherPro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by engel001 View Post
    This is cheap ($25) but runs on Windows only: TetherPro
    Looks like Windows only.

Post Thanks / Like

Capture one Ver6 supports tethered capture and capture piolet - a free app in the apple store allows to view the files remotely on a ipad or iphone. I read this on capture one website and I saw a video in youtube says D4 tethering on capture one and capture capture piolet works fine.. I could not try this. I am still waiting for my D800E. Hope I will receive soon.

Oamkumar
    Flickr: Oamkumar Thottungal's Photostream
    Last edited by Oamkumar; 3rd July 2012 at 23:04.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the helpful info gents.
    Have a great summer.

patrikr

You could just use the WORKAROUND! It just works and cheapest way and you can use C1. 275 euros for Nikon's Camera Control software is rip off.

Knowledge base

I copied type 6 and 7 bundles. I have D800E.

Patrik

patrikr

By the way, This piece of "jewellery" Nikon does not allow Live View once it is tethered on the back of LCD? What's up with that. I have a big problem understanding these somewhat questionable restrictions on equipment. What they should do is allow apps and make the cameras open for third party software and hacks like the Panasonic GH2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some additional cable info. My laptop has USB 2.0 only so I unconsciously skipped over the USB 3.0 points. Monoprice.com has no USB 3.0 Active Repeaters in stock yet but Amazon does. The 32' repeater requires it's own power supply which kills it for me. A 15' USB 3.0 repeater does not. I also found a basic replacement 15' USB 3.0 cable for the D800 which is twice the length and half the cost of the dedicated Nikon branded cable. By the product image the camera end looks to have a lot of plastic, I have one on order and will report back if it's too much to fit properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought from eBay: $6.89 for a 3m cable (Item number: 190682930581)
    Specifications: USB 3.0 A Male to Micro B Male
    Backwards compatible to USB 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy. I found this in another forum:
    " Over in there forum there appears to be a solution
    Grahame copied from forum
    Tof wrote:
    Strange... i have a Nikon D800, and i can shoot tethered with CO 6.4.1 even if Phase One said can't.
    Maybe bcos i copy a file "Type0007.md3" from camera control pro 2.11 in C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 6\CaptureProcess\CaptureCore\Nikon\MAID

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to get to all this tommorrow for sure. Keep getting sidetracked. I need to also update my pocket wizards with firmware for my SB 910s also.

I did order a 15ft USB3 extension and a couple smaller USB3 cables 1 at 3ft and 1 12 inch one for my card reader as well. This was one reason I went for the new MBP 15 inch non retina was for USB3

Post Thanks / Like

I can vouch for tethering in C1 Pro working with the library copy method from Camera Control Pro 2 libraries (which you need both the "full" download, and then the update). It is VERY confusing though, since trying to get the right info to make this work is convoluted because in the Phase One Forums there are many posts with slightly different recommendations. I tried them all and finally got it to work, but not before my first D800 shoot! For that I had to resort to the CF card swap - UGG!

Once you have the fully updated Capture Control Pro2 software (trial mode ok), follow these directions:

Phase Forum Post: Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya Official User to User Forum • View topic - D800 Tether support and Capture Pilot

1. Install Nikon Camera Control Pro 2
    2. Find the file Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib from:
    /Library/Application Support/Nikon/Camera Control Module

From Finder, do:
    /Applications/Capture One (show package contents)
    /Contents/MacOS/CaptureCoreServer (show package contents)
    /Contents/Frameworks/CaptureCore/Nikon/MAID

Copy both Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib into this folder:

Restart C1 and don't run both the Capture Control 2 software and C1 Pro at the same time.

** Basically you need 3 files from Capture Control 2. Some of the instructions call for you to get just the Type0006 or the fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib, but that is not enough. Get all three in there, and if that does not work you could simply just replace your entire MAID directory with the files from the Capture Control 2 directory outlined above. Just note that this workaround will stop functioning if you get a C1 Pro update and it does not contain these files (but hopefully the next release will). If this happens just copy the files again to C1 and keep on tethering!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
    By the way, This piece of "jewellery" Nikon does not allow Live View once it is tethered on the back of LCD? What's up with that. I have a big problem understanding these somewhat questionable restrictions on equipment. What they should do is allow apps and make the cameras open for third party software and hacks like the Panasonic GH2.
    Can you not even use the HDMI out cable to a separate screen when tethered? If so I'll cancel the order.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Can you not even use the HDMI out cable to a separate screen when tethered? If so I'll cancel the order.
    Ben

I think you will find the HDMI cable will only send an uncompressed video signal to a recording device, TV screen or TV monitor.

I don't think it will send a still picture when the camera is in Live View which I guess is what you are thinking.

Nigel Rea

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Everything in place but still a no go. It maybe my cables. New ones coming later today.

Should I be seeing the camera in C1

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, for reference I am using the stock Nikon USB 3 cable that came with the camera and a cheap USB 2 extension cable, both work through my 2010 Macbook Pro USB 2 port. Also I had rented a D800E before getting my D800 and this method works with both. Honestly though, I did this several weeks ago, in frustration I may have just copied the entire library folder over, I can't remember exactly, but I had thought it was just the "3" files outlined above.

-John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks John I'll pull the box down and try it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phero66 View Post
    I can vouch for tethering in C1 Pro working with the library copy method from Camera Control Pro 2 libraries (which you need both the "full" download, and then the update). It is VERY confusing though, since trying to get the right info to make this work is convoluted because in the Phase One Forums there are many posts with slightly different recommendations. I tried them all and finally got it to work, but not before my first D800 shoot! For that I had to resort to the CF card swap - UGG!

Once you have the fully updated Capture Control Pro2 software (trial mode ok), follow these directions:

Phase Forum Post: Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya Official User to User Forum • View topic - D800 Tether support and Capture Pilot

2. Find the file Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib from:

From Finder, do:
    /Applications/Capture One (show package contents)
    /Contents/MacOS/CaptureCoreServer (show package contents)

Copy both Type0006 Module.bundle, Type0007 Module.bundle, AND fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib into this folder:

Restart C1 and don't run both the Capture Control 2 software and C1 Pro at the same time.

** Basically you need 3 files from Capture Control 2. Some of the instructions call for you to get just the Type0006 or the fileLibNkPTPDriver.dylib, but that is not enough. Get all three in there, and if that does not work you could simply just replace your entire MAID directory with the files from the Capture Control 2 directory outlined above. Just note that this workaround will stop functioning if you get a C1 Pro update and it does not contain these files (but hopefully the next release will). If this happens just copy the files again to C1 and keep on tethering!
    I must be missing something but I can't even get Capture Control 2 to install with Lion - it keeps saying I need administrator privileges to install even though I am an administrator. Has anyone else seen this problem? The Nikon site says the base 2.8.0 version only supports 10.6.4 so I am not sure how you guys are getting this to work...

Thanks,
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Post Thanks / Like

I must be missing something but I can't even get Capture Control 2 to install with Lion - it keeps saying I need administrator privileges to install even though I am an administrator. Has anyone else seen this problem? The Nikon site says the base 2.8.0 version only supports 10.6.4 so I am not sure how you guys are getting this to work...

Thanks,
    I'm running, 10.6.8, and had no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - good to know it works on Snow Leopard. I'm running Lion 10.7.4 so would still like to see if someone else has made this combination work.

I did find a SW compatibility page that shows it should work with Lion - but still no luck.

Cheers,
    -- Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainjoe View Post
    Thanks - good to know it works on Snow Leopard. I'm running Lion 10.7.4 so would still like to see if someone else has made this combination work.

I did find a SW compatibility page that shows it should work with Lion - but still no luck.

Cheers,
    Ok - a reboot did the trick - not sure what happened...
    -- Joe

Post Thanks / Like

+1

Post Thanks / Like

I can vouch for tethering in C1 Pro working with the library copy method from Camera Control Pro 2 libraries (which you need both the "full" download, and then the update). ...snip

This sounds like a nice workaround. I don't suppose anyone knows of a Windows version of this procedure?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally got it working. using the 6ft cable from Nikon and a USB 15 ft extension . Although I got a 1 ft cable to work also with extension. All USB 3 though.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got it working. using the 6ft cable from Nikon and a USB 15 ft extension . Although I got a 1 ft cable to work also with extension. All USB 3 though.
    Did you simply copy the whole directory over or was the problem something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problems are cables . Some work some do not. It's a USB power issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm guessing, but it may be that USB 3.0 ports are more sensitive to cable type and length. Over 3 meters and using USB 2 spec'd cables are potential issues. With USB 2 ports mixing and matching cable types isn't a problem. Using active repeater type USB cables are always a good idea when passing the 3 meter length mark to keep the power from dropping off.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rea View Post
    Ben

I think you will find the HDMI cable will only send an uncompressed video signal to a recording device, TV screen or TV monitor.

I don't think it will send a still picture when the camera is in Live View which I guess is what you are thinking.

Nigel Rea

Bit confused Nigel, when tethered will the external screen show the live view feed or not? i.e. will I be able to focus on an external screen and adjust polarisation, etc when shooting tethered?

BTW, anyone know if these workarounds work on windows and if the Nikon software will even run on Win 7 64 bit?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rea View Post
    Ben

Nigel Rea

Bit confused Nigel, when tethered will the external screen show the live view feed or not? i.e. will I be able to focus on an external screen and adjust polarisation, etc when shooting tethered?

I don't mind running LV in the nikon software and just using C1 to watch a folder if that helps. I need to be able to use LV for focusing, composition and polarisation when tethered as the camera will be on a copy stand and the viewfinder inaccessible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post

I don't mind running LV in the nikon software and just using C1 to watch a folder if that helps. I need to be able to use LV for focusing, composition and polarisation when tethered as the camera will be on a copy stand and the viewfinder inaccessible.
    Sorry to confuse you Ben. As I see it there are two things here.

1.Tethered i.e. connected to a computer to record still images and view them on a monitor, which is what Guy was wanting to do at the start of the post and
    2. Connecting the camera to a TV monitor or video recording device using a HDMI cable to view the LV output. Normally when set for video recording, the camera will output a 1080p (16:9) feed which is not what you want but in LV for stills it should output the aspect ratio you have selected.

With this you will be able to adjust the focus and composition etc when connected to a TV monitor although the picture quality will be poorer than the camera is capturing, as it is only a TV quality display

Try some tests by hooking up the camera to a high quality TV monitor with a HDMI cable. This is how I preview scenes prior to shooting product videos. Nigel

Post Thanks / Like

Ok - another weird one - I got Camera Control installed and used it in trial mode. The camera connects fine and it works as expected but when I try to go to the directory - /Library/Application Support/Nikon/Camera Control Module - there is no Camera Control Module directory - only ViewNX and CaptureNX directories?

Is this because I'm using it in trial mode?

Thanks
    -- Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 is just updated for that need.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PERFECT!

I wonder if there is LV support or is that too much to ask for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 tethered

So far it's apparently too much to ask for when using a D800/E, Ben.

When you ask Capture One to show Live View it says: "The Selected Camera Does Not Support Live View", see Tim's excellent blog post about it here: Tim Ashley Photography | Capture One tethering with D800

I just tried it out on my Windows 7 based pc and I get the same message as Tim gets on his Mac.
    Last edited by Steen; 17th July 2012 at 08:22.