The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 tethered

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have a gig next week which I want to shoot tethered. I use C1 and prefer that and I know it's not supported yet. Looking for workaround instruction. Also like to know any other viable program. Thanks

I apologize for not googling this but been on time crunches lately so I'm leaning on you folks. Guy

D

davexl

Hiya Guy,

Haven't found anything that works right now. Lightroom won't recognise camera, Breezsys NKremote would not connect reliably, the freeware google open source one was buggy as hell, haven't tried Capture One or paid for the Nikon one, as last I heard it was dodgy with the D800, might be fixed by now but Nikon software is not noted for speedy updates.

Helpful huh? You're welcome.:ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have found two ways that seem to work.
1) Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 which you can be capturing into a Capture One hot folder.
2) Use Camera Control Pro 2 libraries to update the Capture One app's internal libraries per the instructions in my email LOL
-bob

R

richard.L

Hiya Guy,
the Nikon one, as last I heard it was dodgy with the D800, might be fixed by now but Nikon software is not noted for speedy updates.

download current version of Nikon software. (2.11) works fine.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have found two ways that seem to work.
1) Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 which you can be capturing into a Capture One hot folder.
2) Use Camera Control Pro 2 libraries to update the Capture One app's internal libraries per the instructions in my email LOL
-bob
Lol it take me a week to go through all your emails . ROTFLMAO

danielmoore

I've had no issues with tethering via Camera Control Pro with the latest version. Make sure the program is running before you turn on the camera for consistent behaviour. Having CCP's toolset may make the difference in which to use, for example, turning on Live View allows to double click on any area in the view to set the AF focus point from the computer. CCP gives you access to all the camera's settings as opposed to simply triggering with C1. I have had lockups in one or both programs when using a hot folder in previous versions, it seems to be better now. On the mac you could use Automator to copy images to a separate hot folder if there's a problem, giving each program their own copy.

danielmoore

I used Sofortbild on other Nikon bodies, not yet on the D800. It's useful but lacks the toolset of CCP and many of it's features. Still, for the price it's great. : )

As for hardware, an Active Repeater USB cable is the only hardware you'll want. Monoprice.com has the best price and very good quality cables. I've strung a pair of 32' cables together in one shoot and it worked flawlessly. Of course I'm assuming you want more than a basic USB cable to go beyond 15' when necessary.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I was trying to do this without buying another piece of software
That I don't know, perhaps the library functions from the trial version o camera control pro 2 will work if transplanted to the capture one app.
-bob

Oamkumar

Capture one Ver6 supports tethered capture and capture piolet - a free app in the apple store allows to view the files remotely on a ipad or iphone. I read this on capture one website and I saw a video in youtube says D4 tethering on capture one and capture capture piolet works fine.. I could not try this. I am still waiting for my D800E. Hope I will receive soon.

Oamkumar
Flickr: Oamkumar Thottungal's Photostream

Last edited: