The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 21mm or Nikon 14-24mm

Fredrick

I ran into i slight problem today. The camera won't shoot with the zeiss, unless the zeiss is at f/22. I had to unscrew the lens slightly in order to shoot. Is this a problem with the lens or am I doing something wrong?

nikonf

Joe, this is a superb image.
You are using the Zeiss 21mm and 35mm f2 as your wide angles for landscape work with the D800?
I used to own the Zeiss 25mm, 60mm makro and 85mm lenses with my Contax RTS II. I always regretted selling those amazing optics.
I am looking for good wide angle primes to use with my D800E, if it ever appears!
I already have the Nikon 85mm PC and a Leica 100mm Macro-Elmarit.
Thanks very much for posting,
Mike
Peter,

Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F/2.0 ZF.2

A jewel of a lens. :thumbs:

nikonf

Joe,

Your images are magnificent! Love your Oregon work.
I was there in 2005 with a lowly 8MP and I want to go back there and to Washington state, Bryce and Zion.
I noticed you were using a Hasselblad H4D and also a IQ180 DB?
How do you think the D800\E compare to the Hasselblad and IQ 180?
Did you switch to the IQ 180 with a technical camera?
I can't afford to make another expensive mistake......Been there, done that....too many times!
I have both Canon and Nikon 12MP DSLRs and I want superior image quality.
Still shoot 4x5, except labs have all but disappeared and their quality is not what it used to be.
All the best,
Mike

Mike,

Thanks very much. Yes, I'm using the Zeiss 21mm, 35mm f/2, and 100mm Makro with the D800E for landscape photography. For a recent Oregon trip, before my D800E was delivered, I used a D800 with those lenses. I know your question and this thread are on the subject of wide angles, but in fact, the 100mm proved to be as useful as the 35mm. Here a link to the gallery.

Cheers,

Joe

phero66

There's also the more affordable Voigtländer option, but I don't know if it meets your requirements.

Here's an illustration at f/8 with the Voigtländer Color-Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SLII Aspherical, a manual focus AI-S type lens.

I opened up the shadows a bit to enable you to see some more details at the edges and corners.

If you'd like to do the RAW conversion to your own taste you can download the RAW file,
only please keep any posted conversion result here on the GetDPI forum
801_1614_Voigtlander_20mm.NEF
Wow the Voigtlander 20mm really cleans up nice in C1. I can totally live with the corners after a few lens corrections. Thank you for posting, I might just pick up one!

I don't like the 14-24 that much. My first intention was for the 21mm Zeiss but as I do architectural backed up for the mustache distortion..

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,

Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F/2.0 ZF.2

A jewel of a lens. :thumbs:
Just ordered the Zeiss 1.4/35 ZF.2 after some intense investigations on the web. I know it is much heavier than the 2 / 35 but it seems to be better optically corrected and also delivers the advantage for stunning sharp to unsharp process when used at 1.4. I also want to use it for environmental portraits besides landscape.

Really looking forward to it, as it is my FIRST Zeiss lens for Nikon ;)

Thorkil

Thank you Joe. I was quite baffled by this.

Here is one test picture from today's adventure into the forest around my house.

_DSC0017.NEF
Hi Fredrick
Would you care for showing some more 21mm Zeiss pictures? Or a homepage?
Would be nice with some from Lofoten. And what are your expiences so far?
Thorkil

Pingang

There is a difference between having the best lens and got the shot! I use the Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8MM with my RTSIII and love it when there is no such thing as very good to excellent 14-24/2.8 zoom available.
This is not to say 21mm lens lots its value, sure no! But it is a just a lens, and one can occassionally get the perfect situation to bring the best of this lens but what about when you need it wider? Besides doing stitching work?
So the choice is whether 14-24/2.8 good enough? To me, it is more than good enough. And I think Mark II will be better, and Mark III better still. But will its 21mm better than Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon? I would care less - this is of course - for generation purpose.
Yes, the 21 is a wonderful lens and I still keep my old 21/2.8MM along with my RTSIII but today I would not going out thinking it is the lens to carry, in stead, I would bring 14-24/2.8mm to use with my Nikon.
I do quite a few interior/architecture work, besides using a P3 and Sinar backs, I try to save my time to use Hasselblad HTS 1.5 for the job, and I want to use Canon TS-E 17 or 24 or 45 to do the job - those were the lens for specific paid jobs, I would not put them in my camera bag to go for a walk or a trip to Badain Jaran.
Best choice is often the combination of many factors than considering a lens excels in particular focal lens or situation. But yes, I have in my time of photography travel with 2 bodies and 12 lens, and sure, I brought the 21/2.8 with me. But that does not happen to every trip, every day.

BR,
Pingang

Pingang

Wish to have a back yard like this! Beautiful, almost can feel the fresh air!

BR,
Pingang

Hi Fredrick
Would you care for showing some more 21mm Zeiss pictures? Or a homepage?
Would be nice with some from Lofoten. And what are your expiences so far?
Thorkil

Thorkil

But for me the 14-24 doesn't sing on my 800E. It might be me that is unpatient, doesn't use tripod, but I've tried up til about f.11, but still smearing at the edges I think. But even in the center it doesn't shine.
I know I should go for R-lenses, but investments, investments.
So I might give up. But would just like to see some 21mm Zeiss shots on the 800E before I do.
Yes I would like to have some wider too, but my bankaccount do not agree, and there I'll have to be somewhat democratic :eek:
Best
Thorkil

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I have had Zeiss 18mm f/3.5, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 and Nikon 24mm f/1.4 and Zeiss 35mm. I think they are all great lenses and good enough for 24x30" print.
There were times when I was using the Zeiss 18mm and thought I should have the 14-24mm with me to get wider view. In addition, zooming and AF can be a big deal in some situation.
It's not fair to compare 18mm with 14-24mm. They are difference types of lenses. Being able to use 14mm is a hugh advantage compare to 21mm. It's like comparing 70-200mm VRII to 85mm G/1.4
GND is just an option. You can always bracket 2-3 pictures and work for few minutes in PS and get the same/slightly better result than using GND especially when sky/ground are uneven. Don't get me wrong, I've been using GND all the time in my landscape work. If you include blue sky, polarizing filter may not be a good idea.
I've found flare (only when you shoot to the sun) and very long exposure are only the limitations for the Nikon 14-24mm. Otherwise, it is an excellent lens and one of the best Nikon zoom lenses.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
HI Fredrick. I bought the 14-24 and then I purchased the Zeiss 18mm instead of the 21mm.i have used the 21mm and 18mm previously on my canon gear. Hence i was familiar with these two lenses when i switched to the Nikon D800. Here are my comments. The 14-24 is very sharp corner to corner. Probably the best wide angle zoom I have ever used. The real issue is that it is subject to flare-- more than I would like. Really has messed up some otherwise great shots. In addition it is kind of big and bulky and the the filter options are expensive and not optimal. The Lee system is expensive and good for ND and graduated ND filters but there are no polarizer options. Fotodiox has a polarizer option but also expensive and the two are not compatible. The 14-24 distortion is nicely fixed in PS or LR. The zeiss 18mm is smaller and less glare. Also sharp corner to corner. Some pincushion distortion harder to fix than the 14-24. THe 21mm is a great lens but suffers from more distortion than the 18mm. I think the 18mm is underrated because the 21mm is so highly rated but in my opinion it is outstanding for a super wide. My 2c
Mark summed it up perfectly! +1 on the 18

Thorkil

Thanks both!
..also for keeping my memory adjusted:p
I had it(the 14-24) adjusted together with the camera, but not satiesfied.
I'll see.
Thorkil
think I have also to learn about posting. Steens advice to post via link and oploaded some place fullsize might be better.
(But Fredrick, anyhow, do post some 21 from Lofoten)

D&A

Mark summed it up perfectly! +1 on the 18
+2 on the Zeiss 18mm. When the 14-24 is set at 21mm and compared to the Zeiss 21mm, it was mostly often a toss up when both were used on a 12MP body. Each had certain areas of strengths and weaknesses, such as Mark pointed out...flair with the 14-24 and distortion with the 18mm. I've found though the 14-24mm sometimes struggles optically on a D800/e and would prefer then to use the Zeiss 21mm, on that body, save for it's noticable distortion.

The older venerable Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 actually holds up quite well on the D800/e and with a little give and take, I actually prefer it's overall use on the D800/e over the 14-24. Corners with the 17-35mm aren't perfect either on a D800/e, but improve siginificantly upon stoping down and the lens distortion levels are kept reasonably low. The zoom range is a useful one and the lens fairly compact for a wide angle f2.8 zoom.

As discussed, the Zeiss 18mm accounts quite well on the D800/e and a good sample of the 18mm is superior to the zooms mentioned above, in my opinion when all factors are taken into account. The Zeiss 21mm is a bit sharper than the 18mm but the 18mm as Mark pointed out, has somewhat less distortion. Sort of a toss up when the two are compared and depends on what they are being used for.

Dave (D&A)

Thorkil

for the most, I'm just crazy about sharpnes, unless its some wierd or dreamy grainy, perhaps B&W, shots. Then sharpnes doesn't matter, but else. In a calm and steadty picture, it does. And it might be that point that sometimes almost can justify a picture. (do I dare say: seems that some DP2Merril and OM-D shots sparkles more than a lot of the D800's - but I'm aware of perhaps most of it lyes in posting- and uploading-method)
Thorkil