The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28/2 ais on D800 E

Very happy with first tests! This image out the kitchen door serves well for sharpness testing over coffee. F8. At F2 central sharpness is excellent and the close focusing is sweet on this lens.
No sharpening added.

Full image downsized to 1024 pixels

100% crops-
center

right edge

left edge

left lower corner

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Congrats on your new AI-S Nikkor 28mm f/2, Inner, it's a fine piece of optic - as is its one stop slower f/2.8 sibling as well.
I have owned both and I think my samples were equally good, but your f/2 version is of course the one stop faster version which can come in handy.

I agree with you about its phenomenal 0.2m close focus capability.
If you have the opportunity to get really close to your subject, this wide angle Nikkor makes an excellent lightweight macro substitute.
A couple of years ago I showed some of this kind of wide angle 'para-macro' shots (though in this case with the slower f/2.8 version), see post # 201 and onwards in this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/1812-macro-thread-everyone-5.html#post140830

Enjoy your new 2/28mm :)

Thanks Steen- I loved those preying mantis shots when you posted them, nice to see them again. A small point of interest- the 28/2 is not new, I've had it a few years, the 800E is quite new however. I'm still not totally convinced the 28/2 ais can be the true landscape "get the most out of the 800E 28" for my kit, but it's very good. I am wondering about the Leica (Schneider) 28/2.8 PC lens, I may start a new thread asking f anyone has experience with it. best....Peter

DDudenbostel

I would like to see us compile a list of manual focus and earlier auto focus lenses that perform well on the D800 / E.

I'll start, my 1970's manual focus 25-50 f4 is excellent at f8 and not bad at f4. Corners are a bit soft at f4 but at f8 give my 24-70 f2.8 a run at f8. Center of the 24-70 is sharper but not by much.

My home AI's 50mm f3.5 is an exceptional performer.

We also know the 28 f2 manual focus is excellent.

Any other experiences?