The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Why was made

bcf

Well, that's the curmudgeon in me talking, but I find this utterly ridiculous… This kind of film makes me rather angry. It is so far from what interests me in photography that it could have been made by aliens*:)

I remember a film by Ami Vitale when the D90 (I think) was released, which I rather liked. But all this "extreme" stuff - not for me.

To each his/her own...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If you NEED D4's for this kind of movies then something is really wrong and I would say go back to 1st class! - Sorry!

I completely dislike this kind of advertisements specifically as I am using these cameras almost always for taking pictures and NOT videos.

And IF I would do videos, well there are even far better options than a D4.

So the whole thing cost a lot of money, but is really useless for people like me, making them rather angry about a certain brand/product than anything else.

BTW - I do not even find the final movie to be good at all.

carstenw

This kind of film makes me rather angry. It is so far from what interests me in photography
...I am trying very hard not to interpret this to mean that anything well-funded you are not interested in makes you angry, but failing, so please help me out :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If one needs to shoot action, photos and video, this is very useful. When I shoot motorsports, I bring the D2Xs and the GH1 for that. It would obviously have been much nicer to use one camera (the D4) for both. When travelling, particularly when going to remote locations, carrying two systems is often unbearable. Showing that the D4 is up to the task on all accounts is what Nikon aims to do with these videos. Alas, the D4 is somewhat above my budget :(

Remember also that the most important future market for Nikon isn't grumpy, old men like us, but hip, cool youngsters who are used to seeing even hipper, cooler individuals on TV, standing in the middle of all the action at some hip, cool, remote backpacker location while he or she screams out how hip and cool the world is right there before entering the local café, getting a nervous breakdown over the fact that the local 93 year old chef doesn't know how to make latte or tapas :wtf:

ustein

Contributing Editor
I will make probably use the GH2 (very capable for video) or RX100 for video and D800 or 5D2 for stills (would use 5D3 for motor sports I guess).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I will make probably use the GH2 (very capable for video) or RX100 for video and D800 or 5D2 for stills (would use 5D3 for motor sports I guess).
Still two systems with two sets of lenses, batteries etc. A real killer would be a GH3 with weather sealing, decent build quality, a buffer that can take 40 RAW frames and a viewfinder that shows live view between frames when shooting bursts. One can always dream :p

Godfrey

I don't see why the negativity by some. I found the video pretty neat, and the making of video fairly interesting. A couple of D4s and the lenses and other equipment put together is relatively cheap compared to a comparably capable pro video camera.

It's an area of photographic equipment use that I don't do at all, and the project was a pretty high buck effort ... way out of my league. It is technically interesting at least, however.

D&A

I would assume that what we observe in both these video's is something most of us here aren't going to aspire to nor try to emulate...but in my opinion that isn't the point. It may be that some may take away a couple of ideas and apply them for some application.

Additonally it's much like those high production car commercials....where say a BMW, Land Rover etc.....maybe even a mid priced car will be engaged in some sort of activity (on the test track or maybe in some remote location)..where 98% of potential owners of such vehicles will never have the opportunity to use them as such....but neverless make for a few moments of interesting watching. It generally doesn't diminish the product and provides a bit of fantasy that such products if pushed by the right person, can perform at levels most might not have imagined but nice to know the capabilty is there.

It's for the most part salesmanship and showcases a product a company is proud of.

Dave (D&A)